User Tag List

Thread: Bob Jackson Closing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bob Jackson Closing

One of my friends texted me that Bob Jackson Cycles are closing their doors this December. Looked it up and sure enough it is true. That brand has been around a really long time. They have had a very nice long run in the cycling industry. Well done friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bob Jackson Closing

My first bicycle frame purchase was a Bob Jackson. Money earned mowing lawns and delivering papers. When dad found out the cost he marched me back to the shop and scorched the owner....I ordered a Hetchins with curly lugs ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you still have it Tall One. I lied to my folks in college when I bought my First "all Campy" Mondia frame. One Saturday I saw my old mans truck parked at the machine shop area of place he worked. Him and the head machinist were buddys and they worked on their cars and drank coffee on Saturdays when the place was closed. I rolled in on my Mondia which I had paid $440 for (told my folks $220). The old man tells the machinist see what my stupid kid spent $220 for on a bicycle? The machinist looks really close at the Campy rear derailleur, the brakes, hubs and especially the crankset/chainrings. Then looks at my dad and says "I would have paid twice that for that bike" He thought the finish quality was unearthly and I almost peed myself.

I had a Bob Jackson track bike. It was stolen out of my car in 1983. The car was parked on a high spot in town and the only way down was on a pretty steep hill. I have always wondered what the thief thought with no brakes and a fixed gear during his get away. Looked and looked for the bike in the ditch for a couple weeks. Never saw it again. Nice bike it was.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This came as a surprise for me. For some time this year the home page of their website has had the message

"Due to the very high influx of work we can no longer take any re-spray, chrome plating or frame alteration until further notice. We are working round the clock to be able to re-start normal service. This banner will be removed when we can accommodate more work.
    Thank you for your patience".

Maybe they can't find enough people to do the work to cover their overheads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iíve always wanted a Bob Jackson classic touring bike. Cantilever brakes, racks, maybe fully-sealed Suntour Superbe Pro with a long cage rear derailleur and triple crank for a low low for endless climbs. Blue and red? Yes please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    This came as a surprise for me. For some time this year the home page of their website has had the message

"Due to the very high influx of work we can no longer take any re-spray, chrome plating or frame alteration until further notice. We are working round the clock to be able to re-start normal service. This banner will be removed when we can accommodate more work.
    Thank you for your patience".

Maybe they can't find enough people to do the work to cover their overheads.
    The statement I saw said that they couldnít get people to do the sort of proper engineering they needed and as they were all the right sort of age it was time to close.

A real shame though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a toast to Bob Jackson and the other great builders of that generation. They have to retire sometime. We hate to see them go, but we will always have their work to remember their talent and having the vision, grit and foolishness to be pioneers of U.S. framebuilding.

I feel like we need to build a monument to that entire crew. Maybe a bronze 6-foot replica of a 1975 Campagnolo derailleur mounted on a pedestal. Both the derailleur and the pedestal should be drilled out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    My first bicycle frame purchase was a Bob Jackson. Money earned mowing lawns and delivering papers. When dad found out the cost he marched me back to the shop and scorched the owner....I ordered a Hetchins with curly lugs ;)
    My dad did something similar, I had my lawn mowing and paper route money saved up and added my first year's lifeguarding money in the fall of 1977 and the next spring I ordered a Raleigh Professional, the one in blue/silver. He blew a gasket when I brought it home and I told him what I paid, he would have blown 2 gaskets actually because I only gave him 50% of what it actually cost.

He took the bike, put it in the classifieds and sold it for even less than that, figuring that it was now 'used' (ie not new at the store) and was therefore subject to depreciation. He took the money and bought a CCM Targa10 for me at Canadian Tire and put the difference in my college fund. He told me that in getting less than he thought I paid it was a good lesson for me in the value of money and the hard work needed to get it.

Someone got a brand new Raleigh Pro for about 30% retail and I got a POS CCM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bob Jackson Back from the Dead

I think this is good news as they will stay in Leeds and continue to build frames. I like the fact that Woodrup are part of the rescue.
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...n-leeds-488920
    Chikashi Miyamoto