Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bill Strickland: Now I believe Lance doped

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill Strickland: Now I believe Lance doped

So Strickland now thinks Lancer was on the dope. Is this a big deal? 3 out of 5 conspiracy theorists think this is the first salvo in Lance Inc.'s exit/ass-save strategy. Here is the article:

Lance Armstrong's Endgame | Bicycling Magazine

After I read this I went back and watched Lance's ride up Hautacam in 2000. If that doesn't convince you, nothing will.

P.S. I think Bill Strickland is a terrific writer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bill Strickland: Now I believe Lance doped

*cough* wolf blitzer.

Post Thanks / Like

he looked exactly like pantani on that climb
    cough, cough

Post Thanks / Like

I think Strickland has made his career off Lance and now as a parasite he needs to find a new host. But parasites can be right.

Post Thanks / Like

im still working on the soundtrack...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHemlock View Post
    I think Strickland has made his career off Lance and now as a parasite he needs to find a new host. But parasites can be right.
    I was thinking the very same thing. What ever pays the mortgage I suppose.
    2017 Trek Crockett disc
    2016 Jaegher******** Phantom X 2
    2015 Zanconato Alu Road
    2009 Zanconato Team Cross
    2006 Time VX Edge
    1998 Ritchey Road Logic

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an excellent take on B.S.'s new article. It's one of the first I've read that wasn't just reactionary and looked at the industries of bikes and Lance on a bigger scale.
    The Service Course

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shoney View Post
    So Strickland now thinks Lancer was on the dope. Is this a big deal? 3 out of 5 conspiracy theorists think this is the first salvo in Lance Inc.'s exit/ass-save strategy. Here is the article:

Lance Armstrong's Endgame | Bicycling Magazine

After I read this I went back and watched Lance's ride up Hautacam in 2000. If that doesn't convince you, nothing will.

P.S. I think Bill Strickland is a terrific writer
    I have two reactions:

1. It is time to figure out what it means?! Oh, grow up Bill ...

2. Hautacam? Really? He trounced a Pantani who was riding himself into form and who beat Armstrong a few days later in the Alps and an Ullrich who was off form. Just watch him in 2001 crushing a very fit looking Ullrich on Pla d'Adet ... When Phil and Paul were talking about the fact that Ullrich was so well prepared, and that Lance consistently made him look like a club cyclist ... well, we all know Ullrich was clean, so Lance was clean, just better ;)

Post Thanks / Like

Edit; Service Course article already posted.

Bill has always dealt with cycling from a reverent, uncynical perspective; I would have a hard time believing that this is some kind of damage control or pandering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Watoni View Post
    I have two reactions:

2. Hautacam? Really? He trounced a Pantani who was riding himself into form and who beat Armstrong a few days later in the Alps and an Ullrich who was off form. Just watch him in 2001 crushing a very fit looking Ullrich on Pla d'Adet ... When Phil and Paul were talking about the fact that Ullrich was so well prepared, and that Lance consistently made him look like a club cyclist ... well, we all know Ullrich was clean, so Lance was clean, just better ;)
    Yes, Hautacam. The numbers or competition may not add up to his greatest/fastset whatever, but for me, I've never seen anyone appear so at ease literally sprinting up an HC climb.

Post Thanks / Like

I've worked for Bill before.
    countless lunch rides, Tuesday night worlds, coffee shop rides, and office meetings @ Bicycling.

Bill doesn't BS. He calls an apple an apple, and a bag of shit a bag of shit. He doesn't do the cover up, or the "I'm going to build a career off someone else," that's not in his character. If you don't believe me, go read "10 points," if you haven't read it you should, and you'll be shocked. He has a remarkable value of journalistic integrity. The number of times he had to defend Lance on rides with the Rodale crew must number the 1000s.

He honestly believed Lance was clean, and the reason was that as a journalist/writer who spent a lot of time around Lance and pro cycling, he never saw a single questionable thing. He had the inside stories, he was in the rooms after/before races, he was there weeks before on training rides. He was around for casual banter, heard hushed whispers. Imagine having unprecedented access to RadioShack, with Contador and Lance for months, being there during the tour, and despite countless rumors in the media, never once seeing a shred of evidence?

No....Bill believed Lance was clean. No doubt in my mind. Exact same way Loren Mooney believed Floyd Landis was clean. He looked her in the eyes over a glass of whiskey and swore on his family.

And let's face it, at one point we all thought the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm unimpressed, it's weak and pro lance when you actually think about the message.

Post Thanks / Like

It's Bicycling Magazine fer crying out loud—it's obviously an April Fool's spoof.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the service course take on BS's piece. Rings true. I've always liked BS's writing style.

It is an interesting shift on the corporate level. The Rodale empire and all.

I still think Lance is a exceptional rider regardless of the doping issue. I wonder what Eddie thinks of Lance. Casualties seem to abound in the cycling industry with dope - think it'll ever be free of it?
    Last edited by dnades; 03-31-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: clarification

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I'm unimpressed, it's weak and pro lance when you actually think about the message.
    Not long ago, Malcolm Gladwell wrote an article about To Kill a Mockingbird. His central thesis was that Atticus Finch wasn't the hero we make him out to be because, rather than taking on a system that was racist at its core and trying to effect some fundamental change, he accepted the system, forgave the faults of the would-be lynch mob, and tried instead simply to win Tom's life.

Now, I'm a great fan of Gladwell's, and think he's usually pretty well right. But this made me sputtering mad. To me, Gladwell denied Atticus the right to what made him so heroic: his humanity. What made Atticus remarkable was that so many of the people he turned his back on were basically good people, friends even, despite their flaws and blindspots and hatred. What's more, he had to continue living in that town, making a living and making a life for himself and his children. To insist that he act as Gladwell would have him act would be to insist that he step outside of his humanity and act like some platonic ideal or marble icon.

Some part of me wonders whether Gladwell felt the way he did because he grew up in Trudeau's Canada, and I tend to be more sympathetic because I grew up in a small town in the south, filled with people who would go out of their way to help a stranger, but who also used the n-word with casual indifference. Not that I ever faced the dilemma that Atticus faced, but I had inhabited something like the world he had and could better relate to what a remarkable act of courage it was.

In case it's not obvious, I think Strickland's piece is praiseworthy in the same way Atticus was praiseworthy (if not to the same degree). Just because it's not perfect as those of us in the gallery might define perfection, doesn't mean it's not a laudable thing. He's not just writing about a public figure, he's writing about someone he once considered (and might still consider) a friend. And he's doing so with full knowledge that his world, like Atticus's, will be forever more difficult for him to inhabit because of his actions. Taking all that into account - taking into account Strickland's humanity - I think it's unfair to criticize him for not going as far as we'd have him go. He did enough, and set the stage for those yet to come who most certainly will.

Post Thanks / Like

Whew. Can I please go back to dick jokes now?

Post Thanks / Like

i love this whole yoga pants things that the occasional hottie can pull off. i love the occasional/exceptional hottie.infinitely more interesting. lance doped. lance raced very well in his chosen racing discipline. there are insiders, the rest of us punt and chat.
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like

That's amazing mainemike... thanks.

Jayme

Post Thanks / Like

A thread with Lance, dope, Atticus Finch, dick jokes, and (thank God) yoga pants. . . what's next? I remember the piece about Atticus not being a hero or visionary as well. I did not like it, as yesterday's visionaries never went far enough by modern standards. Had Atticus Finch possessed the Civil Rights movement mindset of the 1960's when the novel was written, the historical context of the novel would be unbelievable. To Kill A Mockingbird is and will always be my favorite novel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Watoni View Post
    I have two reactions:

That is what I thought too. I don't really care about how he wants to cry. Also, why is this webpage laid out like 1999? It makes my eyes bleed.