User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bikes that make you ride better (or differently) - is it just me?...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bikes that make you ride better (or differently) - is it just me?...

At the risk of being ridiculed, I'm currently experiencing something with my C64 that has me perplexed and curious...

It could be that I'm riding it harder to avoid being labelled as a 'typical MAMIL' on account of the fact that I occasionally wear Rapha and Assos and I'm a touch (understatement) less 'racer skinny' than I'd like to be - adding a Colnago to that mix is borderline asking to be labelled, especially on the unfortunately cliquey Sydney cycling scene!

My point is, there's something about the bike that I can't quite put my finger on, but it somehow makes me ride 'better' - by which I mean that my shorter, faster rides are usually faster; and I ride harder for longer on my longer rides. The fit is near-as-damn-it the same as any other bike I've ridden recently (perhaps with the exception of the HampCo, which was slightly higher at the front), so that shouldn't be coming into play either. The only thing that is notably different is the low weight.

What's even more odd about it is that the bike doesn't dazzle me. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I'm not at all wow'd by it - to the point where I've considered moving it on already a number of times. My C40 was a better bike, frankly.

I'm not looking for answers - just curious whether anyone else has experienced this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bikes that make you ride better (or differently) - is it just me?...

It is the bike, and it is that way for me with an 86 Allez SE. It wanted to go fast and I could not ignore it. I let that one go and recently acquired a 88 Sirrus that by my measurements is the same frame. Again, this bike will not let me soft-pedal. I had the Allez during Covid Fear Days and solo rides earned me PRs. This Sirrus is currently my Commuter and I record PRs without trying. Note: my other commuters have been race bikes also. Lowly mid priced bikes but they put a spell on me.
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bikes that make you ride better (or differently) - is it just me?...

Gios Super Record. Not sure what magic sauce is in that frame, but it feels purpose built for 72rpm into a headwind. Rides better in bad weather. I just pulled it out of my office in the city and brought it upstate with me. It is geared for flat lands, but I have a (Hillsdale) flat route so was just considering taking it out. 10s Record on it. 53/39 & 12/25.

I'll probably cramp and die but it will be fun while I last.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No question.....and everyone should by now what my answer is.

My Bishop of course. It begs to be pedaled harder, to go longer and corner deeper. Regular routes are completed faster, weekly mileage is increasing, and I'm more fit because of it. Sure it's stunning to look at, but the ride is sublime.

Non-drive side pic to highlight the frame.

best non-crank side.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately and fortunately for me my 1996 Merlin Extralight has spoiled me, nothing since has fit me the same or had the balance of weight and stiffness/compliance. I'm sure there's probably better bikes out there...
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think OP should just close is instagram and other social medias account and stop giving a fuck at what other people think about him and he would realize the bike has nothing to do with it.

I tend to ride faster when I am late or because I am vain and when I see a rider 200m away I need to try to catch him/her. And I know the later is quite stupid but that is probably my road racing history that is too embedded in my brain. Having said that I sometimes force myself to ride a biie that is inadapted to the situation, like commuting to work on my fat bike last monday to force myself to be out of that cat6 street racing context and enjoy the ride and scenery.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I think OP should just close is instagram and other social medias account and stop giving a fuck at what other people think about him and he would realize the bike has nothing to do with it.
    Don’t hold back - go on, tell me how it is. Wow…

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    At the risk of being ridiculed ...
    You did kind of ask for it...

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    You did kind of ask for it...

SPP
    I said “ridiculed”, not “abused”.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was never faster on long climbs than on my old Schwinn super compact Aluminum frame. Same contact points on frames 3-4x the price after that never felt, and measured as fast.
    It made me want to fight the climb in unison with the bike.
    Downhill there came better rides after that.
    My number one quality in a bike now is stability in a straight line.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some perspective? There are many ways to skin that cat, the OP is pretty specific. In one case I had an epiphany so will offer that and back away. A few lives ago I swapped bikes with Jerk. His was a Colonago EP(?). These bikes famously have very predictable handling which was quite different than what I had been riding. For the first time in many times I get on a bike I've never ridden and find myself riding no hands leaned into a corner. The bike was so ridiculously well suited for what I "wanted" vs despite the d@mn bike and making it do what I wanted the lightbulb was lit.

The OP may not have had this moment....yet.

Respect to everyone riding their d@mn bikes regardless how friggin' AWESOME they are designed...or not ;)

They are bikes, we are idiots who ride them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure E-Richie put a spell on my '78 Richard Sachs.
    It's just...magical.
    P6206842 by Doc Mertes, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My MX Leader. Even built up with Record 10 and lightish wheels it was 22 pounds, but I've never ridden a better bike on fast descents and powering on flat sections.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All my bikes are awesome. But I don't think I've ever lost a sprint on the team ride when riding my Gaulzetti Aerotack.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moots Compact Sl, now with Campagnolo 10 and square taper alloy cranks. H+Son wheels. Last week I was in a break at the World Famous Montrose with two sponsored riders (local pro and a top master) and initially I wondered if my bike would hold me back. We had a minute gap on a hard charging group of 100. Both athletes were on S-Works Sl7 Tarmacs with Rovals/ENVEs. Funny that I was more concerned about my 16 year old bike than their superior fitness from full time training. Also, I haven't shaved my legs in 2 years.

Cyclists are so weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's planing.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rccardr View Post
    Pretty sure E-Richie put a spell on my '78 Richard Sachs.
    It's just...magical.
    I think he must put that spell on all his work. :::dancingbanana:::
    When I read the OP I immediately thought of my Sachs. It has some obvious differences from my other road bikes -- a bit more saddle-to-bar drop, and the front end is definitely a bit lower than either my Strong or my Cannondale. But when I climb on any of them they all feel more-or-less the same: My hands, butt, and feet all feel like they're in the right place, I'm comfortable, they do what I want them to do when I want them to do it...

It's just that when I'm on the Sachs I seem to finish the ride a few minutes earlier :)
    Something about that bike wants to go fast; it's like it's whispering "push it!" in my ear, subliminally but relentlessly.

It's pretty fcuking awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    All my bikes are awesome. But I don't think I've ever lost a sprint on the team ride when riding my Gaulzetti Aerotack.
    Said Sean Kelly of his (noodle) Vitus glued aluminum.
    Last edited by rabo; 09-17-2021 at 06:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Said Sean Kelly of his (noodle) Vitus glued aluminum.
    Well, to be fair, Sean Kelly has won bigger sprints than the one on my team ride.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I think he must put that spell on all his work. .........................

Something about that bike wants to go fast; it's like it's whispering "push it!" in my ear, subliminally but relentlessly.

It's pretty fucking awesome.
    That's perfect!!

++++++++++++++1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast