User Tag List

Thread: Bike rack recommendations please

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bike rack recommendations please

I need to replace my old Saris Thelma 3 hitch rack. Going on vacation and will not have the room in my CRV to carry our bikes, they sadly will need to be carried on the outside of my vehicle. I will appreciate your experience with receiver hitch racks that are affordable yet safe to carry our beloved bikes. I need to carry three bikes and putting them on the roof at my height would be a challenge. (Would have to carry a ladder)

My car is equipped with a 1.25 receiver

So far, I am looking at the Super Clamp EX4-Bike rack but it needs a 2 inch receiver.

Your thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Bobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bike rack recommendations please

I just recommended the Kuat Sherpa to my sister-in-law for their Kia whatsit small SUV, and I think all the Kuat racks work for either receiver hitch size. They had it installed and the rack made me look like a genius. Totally simple to operate, load, put on and take off.

I don't think the Sherpa is expandable though, so you'd have to look at the NV or the NV2.0, plus the matching expansion attachment to get capacity for 4 bikes. I think Kuat is a very high quality rack with nice design features that make it particularly easy to use.

1 Up is the other company that has gotten good reviews here on VSalon. I don't have any experience with them though, so someone else will have to chime in.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

needing to carry 3 bikes makes it a bit complicated, as most of the "base" hitch racks are for 2 bikes. All of the good tray style racks are pretty pricey, especially for the variants that can carry 3 bikes. that's a lot to ask for a 1.25" receiver too.

initially, i would have definitely recommended looking at the new RockyMounts Westslope 3, which is on sale now, and RockyMounts has always been a solid contender, but 2" only.

WestSlope 3 Bike Hitch Rack – RockyMounts

I think i would start by cruising the local craigslist and see what's for sale locally used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own a 1up and had a on kuat. Either one is great. I prefer the 1up because it is made in the USA and easier to mount bikes by a hair. However, it is tougher to release. The 1Up has 3 racks.
    Last edited by joosttx; 07-31-2019 at 09:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i carry one bike on my 1Up. It's a simply beautiful in all ways piece of thoughtful engineering. not perfect but oh so close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For 3 bikes, I'd go with a 1-Up double and add an extra tray. The design is simple and, more importantly, anyone I've met or asked has been happy with the product. I think as you add trays, they slope up and away from the ground thereby limiting possibility of dragging the aft-most trays on the ground when backing out of the driveway.

Not cheap, though. When I last looked, the double with two add on trays and the lever extension so you can lower it without having to contort your body + the fat tire adapter was nearly $1k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 1Up single tray + add-on tray for my car's 1.25" receiver. It works well, but the mechanism is kinda of clunky compared to other racks I've used from Rocky Mounts and Thule. I considered a Kuat pretty seriously, but ultimately wanted the option to carry a single bike sometimes.

Not sure if 1Up (or others) can support three bikes on that smaller sized hitch.
    Steven Brown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sbornia View Post
    I have a 1Up single tray + add-on tray for my car's 1.25" receiver. It works well, but the mechanism is kinda of clunky compared to other racks I've used from Rocky Mounts and Thule. I considered a Kuat pretty seriously, but ultimately wanted the option to carry a single bike sometimes.

Not sure if 1Up (or others) can support three bikes on that smaller sized hitch.
    The 1.25" single "quick" rack allows for 2 additional bike fittings, so three total.

1.25” – 2” Quik Rack Single – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE

The Equipe-D single can handle up to 3 bikes on the 1.25" rack.

Equip-D Single – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE

The Equipe-D double can carry 4 bikes.

Equip-D Double – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE

Note: corrected above. I misunderstood this system the last time I looked at it. Basically you can add two extra fittings per rack, so the single racks can do 3 total and the double rack can do 4. The company lists weight restrictions based on the position of the bike on the rack and whether the bike is on the base rack or an extra fitting.
    Last edited by j44ke; 08-01-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I ended up getting the quick rack with two add-on and the EZ pull arm.