Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Bike Minimalism

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bike Minimalism

I too have reduced the number of bikes I have to a bare minimum. I've sold all my duplicates and have only the essential tools I need to appreciate riding a bicycle....

1) summer commuter road bike
    2) shoulder season cross commuter bike, skinny tires with half fenders
    3) winter commuter, flat bar and disc braked 29er, full fenders
    4) cruiser, for Sundays with the kid
    5) bar bike, stickered with no logos, crap paint so it can be locked to phone poles, fences, benches
    6) grocery bike, rack, basket
    7) beer run bike, rear mount rack that holds exactly 24 cans, and a double growler basket on the front
    8) gravel bike, one day I'm going to find those west coast fire roads, honest
    9) cross bike, because cyclocross is cool
    10) classic road bike, bragging rights for having a Chesini with pantographed head tube
    11) classic road bike, because the Japanese made good bikes too, NEED to have both to properly understand bicycles
    12) Tuesday bike. Because; Tuesday
    13) hill climbing bike, one ring, super light, with a heavy seat on it to meet the UCI minimum weight
    14) TT bike. I've never done a TT
    15) carbon road bike, replaced annually with newest carbon road bike
    16) custom road bike from revered small builder, cool factor
    17) titanium road bike, nothing rides like titanium
    18) steel road bike, steel is real
    19) aluminum crit bike, light and stiff for sprinting, not worried if it gets wrecked in a crash
    20) rigid mountain bike with cantilever brakes, comes with a story about my first mountain bike experience, and a nostalgia for mtb pioneers like Bontrager, Fisher, and Ritchey
    21) ultralight full suspension cross country mountain bike
    22) all mountain, all day 29er, big wheels just roll better
    23) all mountain, all day 650b, 29er wheels are too big
    24) all mountain, 69er, really want that big wheel on the front to roll over stuff, need the small wheel on the back for strength and a 1.7cm shorter rear end
    25) rain bike. in case it rains
    26) fixie. fixies are cool, or were cool, but I keep mine so it doesn't look like I was just trying to be cool when I bought it 5 years ago
    27) coupled travel bike, I'd rather spend $4000 on a bike than $100 on baggage handling. bike will pay for itself in 20 years of annual bike riding vacations.
    n+1) just noticed they are making full suspension gravel bikes, I really need one of those, my hard core gravel riding has been suffering because of the lack of suspension on my gravel bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair View Post
    I too have reduced the number of bikes I have to a bare minimum. I've sold all my duplicates and have only the essential tools I need to appreciate riding a bicycle....
    We can hang. And this is the best reason ever for a new bike...

12) Tuesday bike. Because; Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6) grocery bike, rack, basket
    7) beer run bike, rear mount rack that holds exactly 24 cans, and a double growler basket on the front
    I think there's a gap here for a longjohn, which in spite of only currently having three bikes, is my n+1 right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

n+1) just noticed they are making full suspension gravel bikes, I really need one of those, my hard core gravel riding has been suffering because of the lack of suspension on my gravel bike.
    I just came here to point that one out. I think you won "bike minimalism thread, 2018 edition".

What does s/he win, Mr. Pucci?

Best Regards,

Will
    William M deRosset
    Fort Collins CO USA

Just beat the first rain squall on my recent n+1, a fendered fixed-wheel. 1/8" roller chain. It is a fad!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
    I don't know; I am sure there is a good psychological explanation though :) I just know that looking back at my records, my highest mileage years were all done when I had just one bike. Correlation does not equal causation of course, but that is all I have for now :)
    This struck a chord. Back in school, I had a Specialized Rockhopper. I used to ride (off-road) every day, and ragged that bike.

When I graduated, I started earning more and threw a bunch of it at increasingly expensive bikes. But the sad reality is that I never rode any of them half as far, or half as hard, as that Rockhopper.

In answer to the main question. For a while I was a one-bike rider; randonneur bike for everything from commuting, road riding and the odd bit of gravel.

I still have it and ride it more than my other bikes (mostly commuting - three kids and a busy job) but have also acquired two road bikes, a mountain bike and most of another randonneur.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

27) coupled travel bike, I'd rather spend $4000 on a bike than $100 on baggage handling. bike will pay for itself in 20 years of annual bike riding vacations.
    28) Tandem for the day I ride with the grand kids. Ignores the fact that my kids aren't married or considering have children.
    29) 650B conversion. What to see what all the fuss is and use those Suntour Barcons I got on ebay and some hammered fenders
    30) 90s steel hybrid conversion to modern budget gravel bike. Giant produced some nice frames that can be had for a pittance that fit up to 45mm tires. Yes, this may overlap 1)-7) but the frame (all double butted chrome moly) was too good to pass up for $50 and stick in the inventory.
    31) French bike because chasing down parts for obsolete standards (128bcd, swiss vs french bb, 22.0 stem) challenges my ebay skills. Not to mention comparing 531 vs Tange vs Columbus from 10) and 11)
    32) Any high end Schwinn from the glory years: Paramount, Superior, etc. Even the Panasonic beauties of the mid 70s (Voyageur). Because Murica.

These are all hypothetical, of course. Any resemblance to anything in the garage is purely coincidental.

Sinclair, brilliant list. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O boy. We’ve defined first world problems.

Not that I’m any better. I have:

Rideable:
    2 road bikes: Dreesens steel/lugged road and Caad10
    1 cross
    1 track : dreesens OX track
    1 hangar/beach/mtb: surly troll
    1 29er mtb: Gary fisher xcal

Frames hanging in my basement: 1 Merckx MXL, 2 caad10s, surly KM, no name AL 29er, steel track and steel road

And basically the Troll is the only one I ride anymore. But I’m cool with it. When I go to the basement to do my wash I get to see a fleet of cool neatly hanging frames. I keep the troll, caad 10 and xcal in my hangar with my plane so they add to the airport decore. My steel/lugged road and track lean against the wall in my home office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's totally a first world problem and I'd very much like to pull back a bit from my bike consumerism. It's gotten out of hand. The past month has been good liquidating a bike and sending some good parts off to some new homes.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    It's totally a first world problem and I'd very much like to pull back a bit from my bike consumerism. It's gotten out of hand. The past month has been good liquidating a bike and sending some good parts off to some new homes.
    Same. My new frame is here and, being my first ever made-for-me frame, should scratch that itch for a long while. I cleaned out my whole garage last week except for my bike parts, and once the new bike is built then everything extra thatís not a consumable is headed to eBay or charity. Thatíll leave three bikes and if my folks will accept the roadie I may store it in the attic of their garage for No visits.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have three bikes worth of spare parts (generally low-end stuff though), two spare carbon forks, a nice carbon road bike, a nice custom tandem bike, a shitty commuter bike and then a bike for the wife that she will never use now that we have the tandem bike.

Im really working on building myself a one-bike-does-all family bike that has enough fast in it that I wont leave anything on the table. I don't race, so that's not a problem. and then I can sell my shitty commuter and my carbon road bike, purge my spare bits and only worry about cleaning/maintaining/storing a few bikes.
    Matt Moore
    @hellafabrication
    www.instagram.com/Hellafabrication

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey SAAB I remember you saying years ago that for most of us on here a crosscheck and caad10 with 105 would get the job done. I’ve always agreed with that statement. And if you have a track near you add a track bike to that mix. Sachs had a pic years ago of his road, cross and track (all 3 signature red) lined in his old shop. Pretty much all you need to be a classic east coast bike racer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    Hey SAAB I remember you saying years ago that for most of us on here a crosscheck and caad10 with 105 would get the job done. I’ve always agreed with that statement. And if you have a track near you add a track bike to that mix. Sachs had a pic years ago of his road, cross and track (all 3 signature red) lined in his old shop. Pretty much all you need to be a classic east coast bike racer.
    And it would. I have some 105 now and it’s great. No track bike for me. I could get by with my Indy Fab and a road bike.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My caad10 has 105 and my Dreesens has Centaur. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    Hey SAAB I remember you saying years ago that for most of us on here a crosscheck and caad10 with 105 would get the job done. I’ve always agreed with that statement.
    +1 from me. Sometimes I think about what I would do if all my stuff was stolen/destroyed. It's pretty close to this.