Thread: Bike Minimalism

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bike Minimalism

Quote Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post
    Read this on the train this morning: https://reviewcanada.ca/magazine/201...anorexic-home/
    Interesting article. Not to take this thread at too much of a tangent, but I wonder how much of the possibility of a totally spotless home is enabled by the widespread employment of cleaning services now.

If you have to actually do all the cleaning yourself, a perpetually perfect home looks like a chore. But if you can just write a relatively modest monthly check and have your house magically clean, it becomes the achievable standard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Why does the number of bikes directly affect how much riding you do? I'm genuinely curious.
    I don't know; I am sure there is a good psychological explanation though :) I just know that looking back at my records, my highest mileage years were all done when I had just one bike. Correlation does not equal causation of course, but that is all I have for now :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got it down to one. Few wheelsets, all year round bike.
    When I get more time and if I feel the need I may get another
    Had 6 once
    One feels just right, right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I struggle here.
    Don't ride enough to justify more than a single bike, and my soul tells me one is best, but which to let go?
    Tally is 6. All too precious.
    One day at a time.
    un abrazo,
    Henrique Tono

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    This has included things like old Suntour freewheels and their associated tools. They're 25+ years old and I no longer have any threaded hubs and since they're used, they go. I'd bet we all have stuff like this.
    This "we" does....I still use'em. Suntour tools and freewheels can be tossed in my general direction by anyone who cares to do so. Of course I'll pay shipping. And a Suntour cog board? Let me know if you have one that's headed to the trash or recycle bin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    Orgs I've donated to are:

West Town Bikes*

The Recyclery, Rogers Park

Both have extensive programs that help disadvantaged youth work their way into the mainstream by learning maintenance, retail and other commercial skills.

*n.b. West Town site was not launching for me this a.m.
    I don't remember the organization I donate to but one of the guys will pick the stuff up from my house which is huge. I think they build bikes and ship them overseas. Something about filling my car with bike stuff I don't need and driving it more than 5 minutes away is really unappealing.

If interested PM me and I'll give you his number.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    ^This.
    bikes you use when there is a chance they're confiscated
    This is rarely a problem for me anymore, but I did go out for a day a couple of years ago where I was worried about that possibility. Added a certain soupcon of lawlessness to the whole tour.

What I need right now is a beater for canoe shuttles that I can stash in the woods at the put in and pick up after my paddle. I had one but I can't find it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    What I need right now is a beater for canoe shuttles that I can stash in the woods at the put in and pick up after my paddle. I had one but I can't find it.
    Oooh, I like this idea. I've thought about doing it to make a loop in the BWCA, but never followed through.

For a day trip without portages, how about taking a Brompton in the canoe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and what about the shoulder seasons? Those periods in spring/fall when weather warrants wandering between riding the trainer, and riding outdoors? Wouldn't a dedicated trainer bike avoid the angst around do I/don't I remove/replace the bike, wheels, cassette....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oooh, I like this idea. I've thought about doing it to make a loop in the BWCA, but never followed through.

Dude. Bikepackrafting. Inflatable rafts take up a lot less space than a canoe too, adding to the minimalism aspect ;-)

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like that concept, but I've got a narrow old flatwater racing canoe with a high seat and it's really tippy - I'd be nervous about putting even a brompton in there. When I lived in eastern mass I'd use the bike to ride back to the put-in after dropping my car at the takeout downriver. Worked great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Dude. Bikepackrafting. Inflatable rafts take up a lot less space than a canoe too, adding to the minimalism aspect ;-)
    Funny. In junior high my friends and I had all gotten rubber rafts from the hardware store, and there were definitely some events that looked pretty much like that. Pre-Instagram though, so it wasn't nearly as cool, and it may not have even happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post

This is, like, the flipside - It's a boat that facilitates the bike ride. I want another beater bike for facilitating my sporty paddle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Funny. In junior high my friends and I had all gotten rubber rafts from the hardware store, and there were definitely some events that looked pretty much like that. Pre-Instagram though, so it wasn't nearly as cool, and it may not have even happened.
    Check out the Battenkill in southern Vermont any warm spring weekend, there's whole flotillas of kids in tubes and rafts floating down, drinking beer and smoking stuff and stopping occasionally to jump off the bridges. Nice to see the young people living well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to ride on and off the road, and race cx in fall. I theorically could live with only my CX bike but I don't buy the one bike to rule them all idea of gravel bikes. Somehow although you can swap wheels I would have to do a lot of compromise either in gearing or riding. I recently installed a 12sp cassette on the mtb and I found some use on that 50t cog I would have laughed at a few years ago. Riding even at 5kph is more interesting and still fastest than pushing a bike up a steep hill. I also like the grip of my 3" wide MTB tires in the steep stuff.

When I sold my previous Festka and was waiting for the new one I rode for a few months the CX bike on the road but I must admit I like having two dedicated bikes. The CX bike act as a backup bike for both my on or off the road riding when I need to do some maintenance on either the mtb or road bike.

Then there is that old 50$ MTB beater with panier and fenders I ride when I want to carry do groceries, pull the trailer, stay dry on wet roads and that I can leave outside of when doing errands or have a night out. I don't think having these 4 bikes limit my riding. That said if I didn't have a garage and/or didn't leave at the foot the mountains I would surely reduce the number of bikes and the cross bike would be the one to keep.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 04-16-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: grammar
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I like that concept, but I've got a narrow old flatwater racing canoe with a high seat and it's really tippy - I'd be nervous about putting even a brompton in there. When I lived in eastern mass I'd use the bike to ride back to the put-in after dropping my car at the takeout downriver. Worked great.
    That fat bike will float, heck my steel "plus" bike floats (ask me how I know that). Just lash the frame on top of the wheels and tether it to your tippy canoe.
    Tödd Höllând

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    That fat bike will float, heck my steel "plus" bike floats (ask me how I know that).

Once you have a dock jumping bike, do you really need anything else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    That fat bike will float, heck my steel "plus" bike floats (ask me how I know that). Just lash the frame on top of the wheels and tether it to your tippy canoe.
    Ha. On the upside, towing a fat bike would create the potential for truly epic entanglements with snags, strainers, rocks, etc. What could possibly go wrong? On the downside it sort of defeats the purpose of having a tippy skinny flatwater boat in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even try to count the total number of complete bikes and bare- to partially-built frames in my house. I currently ride four mainly: road, mountain/monster-cross, gravel, and trainer. My problem is always thinking of the next frame build for myself... I've got one in work, a (third) gravel bike. No, wait, it's the fourth. And I think about another road frame... So I don't have any two bikes ready to ride that duplicate function. Is that minimal enough?
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Once you have a dock jumping bike, do you really need anything else?

I've never done this, but it's got to be fun, right? Someone here must have.