User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bike designed around the lefty fork- what happens when I slap a rigid fork on it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bike designed around the lefty fork- what happens when I slap a rigid fork on it?

This weeks question-

I have a custom 29er that is designed around the lefty that I am putting back together.

In an effort to save some monies, as I am not necessarily in the market to buy a new lefty/wheel and a plethora of forks/wheels, I was wondering what would happen to the geometry of the bike if I decided to install a rigid suspension corrected fork (frame was designed around 100MM) or a Reba 29 fork.

Other details- I am sure I am missing something.
    I am considering using a Chris King inset headset- not sure if I want to use a 1.5 external cup or just use 1 1/8 inset.

Questions-
    Does my headset choice change handling?
    Will a Lefty designed frame work with a regualr fork?

Gracias guys for any of your thoughts.
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bike designed around the lefty fork- what happens when I slap a rigid fork on it?

Do some research to find the axle to crown and offset of the lefty. If either neasurement is within 10mm of a fork you can enjoy a stock fork.
    Use an external headset cup for the extra 12-15mm of stack height, cups and races are available in every conceivable combination.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bike designed around the lefty fork- what happens when I slap a rigid fork on it?

A-to-C on a Lefty is quite short. I ended up using a Reba set to 80mm and it was still about a cm too long. Never rode the bike w/ a Lefty, but handling was fine. Frame was built around a Lefty 29er.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmmm (contemplation sounds inserted to make me look smart as I posted twice in error)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gracias guys- the feedback is muy appreciated. Sincerely.

From what I have put together using the google is the following-
    Axle to crown for Lefty 100 is 480
    Offset is 45

For the Reebster the google tells me the following-
    Axle to crown for reba 100 is 509
    Offset is 46

For 80 it is 489.

Is that too big a difference?

So if I have a Chris King 1.5 already in place0 I will need the conversion to use 1 1/8 forks.