Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bike Camping

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bike Camping

I will be working with the Adventure Cycling Association to set up some "bike camping" web pages and resources. As opposed to their usual multi-day touring focus, bike camping is short overnights. This is basically the same thing as what Grant Peterson has been promoting as S24O (Sub 24-hour Overnight). For me, bike camping is much more about the destination and the activities there, rather than the journey of a longer tour.

Right now we expect to include things like trip ideas, how-to's, packing lists, relevant articles from Adventure Cycling, lists of resources and bike shops by region, links to other websites, and possibly a blog for recent trips. Is there anything else that we should include, or any resources in particular that we should be aware of? Is this something that you might use, and what would you be primarily looking for? Any other comments?

Thanks
    Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a great idea, especially under the umbrella of Adventure Cycling. It's definitely something I would use, especially if it includes the features listed above. It sounds like a more informative, user-specific version of Grant's pages on the subject.

I noticed that you didn't include "Routes" as a feature of the proposed website. I'm guessing this is for a few reasons: First, part of the joy of the S24O is choosing your own route, distance, camping destination, etc. Maybe it's counter to the spirit of bike camping to select a pre-determined route, I don't know. Second, the trips are short (compared to a typical multi-day or multi-week tour), so where the trip starts from has a big impact on the overall time and mileage. One rider's destination may be too far for someone living on the other side of the same city. Finally, while a database of S240 routes organized by city or region would be fun to peruse, I imagine that compiling and managing all the routes would be very cumbersome. I assume you don't want to turn this into another MapMyRide.

Perhaps the "trip ideas" could be organized by city or region, and the blog could be used to report on the suggested destinations and routes that individuals took to get there. That way, a rider could quickly browse an area for possible destinations, read reports of others who have taken the trip, and either choose to take someone else's route or develop their own. Just a thought...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply. I agree specific routes will not really be possible because of their short length (realistically 50 miles or less, one-way) and the infinite number of starting points. Instead, I envision more a list of possible destinations as you mention, maybe just generic entries like "East Bay Regional Parks" for now. This will probably dovetail nicely with Adventure Cycling's US Bicycle Route System one that gets more fully fleshed out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it would be useful to include a suggestion about what kind of tent to carry and how much you can expect it to weigh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is a terrific idea Sean, and I'm certain I'd visit regularly, as would a number of riders in my crew.

After reading an interview with Grant Peterson on Sub 24 Os a few years ago, I was inspired. Unfortunately, I've never found much in the way of online writing about it, covering all the facets you list. I think you've got all the useful elements there. Some guidance on tents and hammocks, bags etc would be helpful to those of us will little experience with superlight camping. A few friends and I have been experimenting and trying to figure out what works best. The first one I did was alone in November (in Canada!), and it dropped near freezing. I couldn't wait to get into my sleeping bad. Its way more fun with friends.

Spark up the site and we'll be all over it and link from our blog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the replies. Msurch, what is your blog?

One of the things that intimidates me a little about this is all the different variations ona theme that are possible. Most often I tend towards the ultralitght, long distance end of the spectrum, but sometimes I'll head out with a ton of stuff, just go a few miles to a local campsite, and enjoy a relaxed campground evening with all the fixin's. Then there are others who head out to a nearby B&B for a romantic weekend. Basically, these are the same as any other weekend activity, just replacing the car and the boring drive with a bike and a nice ride. What other types of trips should we be considering?