Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Thumbs Up For Boa Technology

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Big Thumbs Up For Boa Technology

I wanted to give kudos to Boa Technologies. I have an old pair of Specialized S-Works shoes that the Boa fastening system broke. I contacted them and they sent me replacement parts for both shoes at no charge. It is so rare to get great customer service that I wanted to express it publicly.
    Bobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Big Thumbs Up For Boa Technology

The customer service is indeed great , not so sure about the product. Have them on 2 pair MTB shoes and now use zip ties to back them up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    The customer service is indeed great , not so sure about the product. Have them on 2 pair MTB shoes and now use zip ties to back them up.
    agreed on both counts - their service is stellar.
    Also, I've had a range of customers who need said service - hopefully not in the middle of a stage race.

My three tab velcro shoes may mark me as "super-old-school" according to the kids - but it is -1 point of failure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got my first pair recently. 4hrs in the rain riding gravel roads and they didn't want to turn. I was worried II wasn't going to be able to get the shoes off! All the grit seems to have been worked out now tho and they feel okay, but that was a little concerning.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had nothing but good experience with BOA dials...I'm glad to hear their customer service is solid should I ever need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea lifetime warranties. I do prefer the BOAs that have replaceable internals, but their fully encapsuled system makes sense for folks that don't have a T-Tiny torx driver. T-7, maybe? It's like a toothpick.

I think the yellow ones Contador had on during the tour were left-overs from 2013 Tour.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I place bi-annual 'orders' with them by dozen to save shipping costs on their end. Cycling shoes are really not their ideal market but "S" probably pays enough in royalties that I don't feel bad my shoes eat them so fast. PRO TIP: Cleaning and applying a light lubricant to the laces and holes drastically extends their life.

Sidi Wires are an improvement in nearly every way over the low manufacturing quality of BOA laces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boa's online warranty process for replacing broken laces is top notch.

I only have them on my indoor cycling shoes, so am planning on replacing the BOA system...but if I had them on shoes that I worried about getting back from somewhere remote, I probably would not advise using a BOA equipped shoe.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess View Post
    Sidi Wires are an improvement in nearly every way over the low manufacturing quality of BOA laces.
    Apologize for zombie quote, but it's germane to my current thinking.
    I still own a pair of S-Works shoes with Boa dials that I bought in maybe 2008 or 2010? For the last three years they've lived at my parents' house in Arizona where I keep a spare road bike and ride maybe 500 miles/year. Except this year we've been wintering in AZ with Mom & Dad, so I'm once again wearing these old Boa-equipped S-Works shoes as my every day/only cycling shoe

...and it's reminded how much I like Boas so much more than the SIDI equivalents!

Admittedly that has more to do with the dials than the laces/wires. Compared to the 2-year-old SIDIs that are (usually) my main cycling shoe, I find the Boas infinitely easier to adjust on the fly, loosening or tightening them as needed while riding. The ergonomics of that SIDI dial suck.

To be honest, I don't think I've even noticed a difference in the material or behavior of the strings (laces, wires, whatever). Only issue I've ever seen is maybe once every 20 or 30 rides, one of those ~10-year-old Boa strings will come unhooked from an anchor point when I open the shoe up too wide to step out of it...takes 30 seconds to reconnect it. Never encountered that with the SIDIs ...yet.

Anyhow, I think I'm (still) a fan of Boas, and my next cycling shoe will probably be another S-Works, not another SIDI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to ride Sidi, back when they were made of Kangaroo. Lake fit me better, and I have used BOA laces for years without complaint. Yes, ferns will sometimes catch in the dial and they'll loosen, but that's about it. When my dog chewed one BOA sent me another as a replacement. Easy peasy. Had a nice chat with the representative of the company as well.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine keep coming loose when hiking biking overgrown trails. I don,t see how those cyclocrossers keep them tight.
    If they didn’t have excellent warrantie they would not have a product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No complaints. I have one on each shoe though. Need two. Or one lower on the shoe and a ratcheting buckle at the top. Velcro strap across the top of the toes is pretty useless.

boa.jpeg
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-04-2021 at 07:38 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not super impressed. Maybe it's just the model I have, but if I want to loosen the shoe, I have to completely undo the dial and tighten my way back up to the desired tension. There's no micro adjust to release tension, at least not one that I'm clever enough to see.

This reminds me of SRAM in the 10s era. Either you loved getting new shifters or you thought SRAM was junk for breaking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    I'm not super impressed. Maybe it's just the model I have, but if I want to loosen the shoe, I have to completely undo the dial and tighten my way back up to the desired tension. There's no micro adjust to release tension, at least not one that I'm clever enough to see.

This reminds me of SRAM in the 10s era. Either you loved getting new shifters or you thought SRAM was junk for breaking.
    There are newer BOAs and other rotary dial adjusters that ratchet in either direction tighter/looser. Usually they are on the fancier shoes.

Speaking of which, shoe prices are ridiculous. Specialized's $425 S-Works shoes are now $100-150 less than other makers' flagships.

https://vimeo.com/393808578
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-05-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's just the model I have, but if I want to loosen the shoe, I have to completely undo the dial and tighten my way back up to the desired tension. There's no micro adjust to release tension, at least not one that I'm clever enough to see.
    Have you tried pulling up on the knob? (out, away from the shoe) That's how you release the tension on my Boas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which shoes. I'm currently rotating through 4-5 generations of S-Works (depending on how one defines a generation) and all of them have bidirectional dials. Super easy to micro-adjust and super easy to replace. Well, not the hideous new red ones. Those won't be easy to replace, but the others are.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Have you tried pulling up on the knob? (out, away from the shoe) That's how you release the tension on my Boas.
    That's how I do it, but then it goes to full-slack. It's a bit of a drag when I just want to release it a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Usually they are on the fancier shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Which shoes.
    Well, I guess that's it. They're on the Bont Riot MTB shoes, not a top of the line model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Boa lacing. Never had a problem, even on my Lakes which only get used in winter. I even have Boa on my running shoes. :)
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...Well, I guess that's it. They're on the Bont Riot MTB shoes, not a top of the line model.
    I looked at the Bont site and they describe an IP1 Boa dial, which is the 2-way adjuster, but then I realized they had made a cut-and-paste error with the Vaypor XC description. Nonetheless, you might contact Bont and ask if it is possible to replace the current dial with the IP1 Boa.

https://www.bontcycling.com/products...tb+/index.html
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's how I do it, but then it goes to full-slack. It's a bit of a drag when I just want to release it a little bit.
    Huh. My initial response is "Weird, that's not how mine work" ...but then I wondered if we're actually describing the same action, but just have different sensitivities or proprioceptions?

When I pull up on the Boa dial to "unlock" the laces it seems like nothing actually happens...until I move my foot. So to take off the shoe I unlock the Boa dial, then I have to arch my foot to get the uppers to start separating, and that action gets the laces loosening and then I can either pull the uppers farther apart by hand, or just yank the shoe off which winds up pulling the uppers apart anyway.

But when I'm Just Riding Along and I unlock the Boa dial, (almost) nothing happens; I can just barely sense the laces getting a little less tight. I have to intentionally arch my foot in the shoe to get the laces looser...but they'll never go to "full-slack".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast