Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bicycle Tour of Colorado 09

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bicycle Tour of Colorado 09

Contemplating for next summer. Hotels, not camping.
    Has anyone done their events? Are they well run?

R

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i did the tour 3 or 4 years ago with 2 friends. we camped except we got a hotel room for the 2 nights we were in crested butte. it was nice to have a real bed during the layover, particularly as it rained.

the tour was great. the routes were well thought out. everything was tidy and well organized. the breakfasts and lunches were good. it was fantastic when coming into towns to have the cops stop auto traffic and wave the cyclists through intersections--even with red lights.

i would love to do btc again. the only caution is that the altitude can really take it out of you. i was quite fit but built a 12-29 fot the trip just in case. Well, even though the grades were not that steep, some were 25 miles in length and topped out at over 12,000'. i was very glad at times that i had the 29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did this year, the riding was great. I camped, however there was one night we stayed in a town so small (Nigral?) the hotel-ers were bussed back to the start (Montrose?), and then bussed back the next morning. That was a bad deal for them. As far as the camping goes it got too cold in Telluride at nite for nite-nite.

As far as gears I had a 34-26 and wished I had brought a 34-29. The first day was brutal:adore:, three passes and 12,100 ft at the highest I think. I mashed at 60rpm all day and cramped at the 2nd peak. The ride was well planned for recovery, with an easy ride following a hard one, and a day off in the middle.

I say do it, but don't do this:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...oulder-county/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a great ride- I've done it the last few years. This year was great, but I agree with FLOPIO, the first day was a beast and I'm from Colorado. FLOPIO, those days were Telluride to Naturita, then Naturita to Cortez.

One of the nice things is that CBT always does a loop, which makes logistics a bit easier. I suggest buying the lunch option to lessen the food search when you get into towns. I have stayed in hotels mostly the last few times and highly recommend it.

Let me know if you have any questions about the towns, but a day off in Crested Butte will be great - a real Colorado mountain town with all its strangeness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hotels

I appreciate the feedback, y'all.

They have the hotel deal where they book for you, handle bags, etc. Is it worth the extra money to do that? It would save a lot of headaches.

R:coffee: