Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bicycle Storage Options

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bicycle Storage Options

Depending on the property you're buying, i figure you probably need some type of out building to keep the lawnmower, hedge trimmer, stuff like that anyway.

i would say you could easily build a storage shed that could be more secure than your house, for not too much $$ at all, as long as you keep it basic. garages are specific in that they need "garage doors" big enough to fit a vehicle through, but once you remove that constraint, it would not cost much to build a nice shed with a secure door that could make a bomber bike workshop, assuming you have the space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our current house doesn't have a garage. We have a garden shed in the back yard, and a full walkout basement that we use mostly for storage and laundry. It works just fine.

Nice bikes in detached garages are theft magnets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    It might also be time to start saving for that enclosed breezeway between house and garage for extra bonus points.

My wife would retain your services, and gladly execute this project as shown, sans bikes...

Do you have any bike-centric examples in your portfolio? ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    My wife would retain your services, and gladly execute this project as shown, sans bikes...

Do you have any bike-centric examples in your portfolio? ;)
    My solution was to buy a three bedroom house. One for us, one for our son, and one for my bikes. And since it's a bedroom, it has a good sized closet for my kit and spare parts. Every time I go in there I'm reminded of how amazing my wife is. Keeping bikes outside isn't an option here between threat of theft, humidity and the high salinity as I live down the street from the bay/ocean.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My solution was to build a garage and a house. Bikes and workshop will be in the garage. Now I am just trying to figure out where to put the car, the tractor and all the landscaping tools. Another garage?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always kept the nice bikes in a dry, stable climate location.

For Massachusetts winters, a garage can expose bikes to constant freeze/thaw cycles and a lot of humidity, as well as some of the contamination that comes off cars - dust, dirt, salt.

I donít mind keeping kidsí bikes in the garage, as they grow out of them semi annually, i.e., we donít keep them very long.

But for nicer steel bikes that I plan to keep for the long term, maybe the garage isnít ideal? Periodic frame saver application probably mitigates some of the risk.

Less concerned about the daily driver / ti frame, where easy access is more important and frame corrosion isnít an issue.
    people have been living and riding and storing bicycles in unheated NE garages for eons without an issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose humidity in the cellar can be an issue depending on the location. It is slightly humid in our cellar but not enough to be an issue.

The bikes are in the room where there is no heating, and my workbench is in the adjacent room where there is heating. It gets reasonably cold around here but doesn't get extremely cold like it does in New England, so temperature fluctuations aren't really an issue even in the unheated room.

I can't roll right out of the basement. Instead I need to use the stairs, but it's hardly an inconvenience. It's the same trip to get to and from the bedroom, just in the opposite direction, half the trip to and from the study, so I can't possibly see it as being inconvenient.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As was noted above by Peter...humidity damage depending on where you live.

Had that happen in spades to my fat bike which spent the spring and summer in a shed/ closet under a deck with a roof and floor to make it waterproof. Our property has several streams that run through it and the ground gets absolutely waterlogged during the snow melt period in the spring. The kind of humidity where the air just feels heavy somehow. Major work was required right before the first snowfall to get the bike in working order.

But, as NYC Fixie said above, easy to remedy for less than I thought. That winter, I had the shed/closet heated, insulated, put power in for lights and a dehumidifier that only would run at high humidity. Net result, no damage after the summer after the simple renovations.

Another possible cheap fix is just putting a bunch of those dehumidifier bags/tubs that are sold in boat supply places in your cellar/shed.
    ę†If I knew what I was doing, Iíd be doing it right now†Ľ

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_b_b View Post
    This was my solution. We don't have a garage, and while we have a shed, the thought of storing bikes next to garden equipment made me a bit nervous. Fortunately we have a basement with a Bilco door for direct outside access. It's a bit annoying carrying up down the short set of steps, but the peace of mind of having the bikes locked up inside outweighs that. Plus I'm lucky enough to have the space to store some tools, clothes and a trainer alongside the bikes. The actual space occupied by bikes is pretty compact though, thanks to wall mounting.

I think I've posted this before, but here is what I'm using:

IMG_1168
    my bikes are in the garage using a similar elfa setup. its both great and a little cramped. the cramped is because our garage has a storage nook and the bikes are hanging in there. they dominate the nook but the rest of the garage is fairly clean.

the dahanger pedal system looks like an interesting way to store bikes in the garage and free up the nook. the elfa system was absolutely cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    people have been living and riding and storing bicycles in unheated NE garages for eons with rust
    There, I fixed it for you.

Look, I'll be the first to admit that I can be a little precious about my bikes.

But did you see the Raleigh that we pulled out of my grandfather's garage? It looked like new for 30+ years, precisely until he stopped riding it. After it sat for a few years... ouch.

Or how about the Univega that we pulled out of my mother's garage? Similar story.

I think it really depends on the bike, and the garage.

If you've got an attached garage - ideally heated - you are all set.

If you have a detached garage that somehow stays dry - you are all set.

If you have a detached garage that traps moisture... well, the devil is in the details.

Not all garages are equal. And not all bikes are equal.

Generalization only works if you don't overdo it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    My solution was to build a garage and a house. Bikes and workshop will be in the garage. Now I am just trying to figure out where to put the car, the tractor and all the landscaping tools. Another garage?
    Funny enough, talking to a builder about replacing the detached garage with a new structure, sort of garage+, with an upstairs studio / apartment.

It's not on the front burner, yet - just in the diligence phase - but will address all issues mentioned here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny enough, talking to a builder about replacing the detached garage with a new structure, sort of garage+, with an upstairs studio / apartment.

It's not on the front burner, yet - just in the diligence phase - but will address all issues mentioned here.
    Actually, three separate friends & spouses are doing this - not for bikes but because one parent is now widowed and has become a bit lost so they are building an apartment over the garage as an independent living arrangement while being able to keep tabs and help out if needed.

I feel like I am moving into a new moment. The "everyone I know has old or no parents" moment. Before that it was the "everyone I know has kids entering college". And before that it was "everyone I know is getting married the second time." Etc.

OK, enough parent storage. Back to bike storage!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After viewing a few houses and reading all the responses here, I'm much more open to a walk-out basement/cellar than I was. A secure garage or workshop out-building would still be the ideal case but it's no longer a deal-breaker. We're not in a rush to buy a house since we have about 18 months before we move back to Canada. Hopefully this will allow us to wait around for a house that ticks all our boxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After 2 years Iím finally getting the bike area wrapped up.
    F0CC7AAD-7A06-4F58-8B6D-7961549DBF17.jpg
    B8C91ACB-754C-4089-A01D-826726E9E847.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my "make do with what you got' space, living in an urban setting in an 1870 house that has neither an attic nor a basement. I have a separate substantial shed that sits at the very end of the back of my property. The shed has two separate rooms, and I keep my bikes on the side with no windows (so even if someone is in the backyard they cannot see what is inside) and the entrance door is locked. The shed sits inside a fence at the back end of our property, so it isn’t accessible to the alleyway that runs behind our series of houses as long as we lock the fence door that opens to that alleyway.

This is how I have made use of a rather small space to store my bikes, tools, and supplies. Although it has electricity, it is not heated. Those few days where we get below freezing are simply what I live with, and I have never had any discernible adverse impacts on any of my bikes nor the bike-related parts, tools, lubes, etc that I keep in there. There isn't enough space to set up my repair stand in there, though; I actually work on my bikes out on the patio right outside the shed. Works just fine for me!

Note: I simply cannot seem to get the third picture oriented correctly!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the horizontal storage rack. I completely disagree with the experts and am a believer that bikes with disk brakes or suspension should be stored this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see this thread bumped.

On my side, I've "refined" the quiver (i.e., I have fewer bikes), brought my primary bike into the mudroom, and set up vertical hangers for the other bikes in the garage.

No more bikes in the basement. NTTAWWT. I happen to live in a 1775 house that sits on a stone foundation - with no direct access to the basement from outside...

I have to say that having a bike inside, right by the door, feels like a luxury.

Occasionally, I think about constructing something like this:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Philster View Post
    I like the horizontal storage rack. I completely disagree with the experts and am a believer that bikes with disk brakes or suspension should be stored this way.
    Theyíre on the wall with these.

https://dahanger.co/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is one of the most intriguing storage ideas I have come across. Haven't built one yet, but likely will this winter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12