Thread: best winter road kit for for below freezing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: best winter road kit for for below freezing

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I put MTB pedals on the road bike and use my winter MTB shoes. So much better than shoe covers.
    I often don't even bother with cycling shoes- I just ride on the flat side of my Shimano PD-M324s and use what ever shoe/boot is right for the temp and weather-sometimes that is mtb shoes, sometimes some LaCrosse ankle fit rubber boots or something in between. Way cheaper and warmer that the premium winter cycling shoes (of which I own a couple of pairs) One key to shoe selection is that they have a relatively loose fit with a nice wool sock.

Below about 40F, ski googles are awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobqzz View Post
    I often don't even bother with cycling shoes- I just ride on the flat side of my Shimano PD-M324s and use what ever shoe/boot is right for the temp and weather-sometimes that is mtb shoes, sometimes some LaCrosse ankle fit rubber boots or something in between. Way cheaper and warmer that the premium winter cycling shoes (of which I own a couple of pairs) One key to shoe selection is that they have a relatively loose fit with a nice wool sock.

Below about 40F, ski googles are awesome
    Agreed. I own cold weather spd boots but have just been preferring flats and regular boots.

I also agree about the goggles, I have been using them for years. The one huge drawback they have is cutting off your peripheral vision. You need to be much more careful in traffic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    You just need to ride the NYC Subway more often to build systemic immunity. Compared to the subway system, everything else is a clean room
    Indeed. But as a non-parent, I have fewer immunities than a lab mouse when it comes to children.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Agreed. I own cold weather spd boots but have just been preferring flats and regular boots.

I also agree about the goggles, I have been using them for years. The one huge drawback they have is cutting off your peripheral vision. You need to be much more careful in traffic.
    +1 on ski googles. Ski helmet as well to protect your ears. Another thing I use is what Canadians call a Dickie. It's the neck and shoulder part of a turtleneck. When it really gets cold you cover the bottom of your face with it. For clothing, I just wear old alpine ski gear and hiking boots. Worked great today and there were frostbite warnings.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    Another thing I use is what Canadians call a Dickie.
    Ha! I grew up in Pittsburgh PA and we called them that too. But I don't think I've heard the term -- much less seen one -- since I moved away in 1970, so maybe it is a regional thing

...which begs the question: What do they call it elsewhere? Do they exist elsewhere?

Definitely seems like a smart cycling accessory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Ha! I grew up in Pittsburgh PA and we called them that too. But I don't think I've heard the term -- much less seen one -- since I moved away in 1970, so maybe it is a regional thing

...which begs the question: What do they call it elsewhere? Do they exist elsewhere?

It's what we called them in New Jersey (South Jersey) when I was growing up.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We called them dickeys in WI too when I was growing up. Often used as a faux turtleneck under a button-front shirt.

Modern version from DeFeet called the Dickadee. Thought about buying one, but happy with my Curve Pandamas and my Weatherneck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...which begs the question: What do they call it elsewhere? Do they exist elsewhere?.
    Bob...the true Pittsburgh questions are...what do you call a woman's headscarf, what do you call bologna and what do you call the small, oval, pill-shaped decorations on the top of a doughnut?
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    We called them dickeys in WI too when I was growing up. Often used as a faux turtleneck under a button-front shirt.

Modern version from DeFeet called the Dickadee. Thought about buying one, but happy with my Curve Pandamas and my Weatherneck.
    Does this mean the 1970's leisure suit will be coming back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Bob...the true Pittsburgh questions are...what do you call a woman's headscarf, what do you call bologna and what do you call the small, oval, pill-shaped decorations on the top of a doughnut?
    All my euphemisms for a woman's headscarf come from my New York Jewish friends and family, I don't recall any Pittsburghese for that item.
    I never ate bologna. Ever. I vaguely recall it was "baloney"? But if you put a bunch of baloney with some cheese and other stuff on an elongated roll it was a "hoagie"
    "Sprinkles"?

I moved away from Pittsburgh when I was 10 years old, in case that makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All my euphemisms for a woman's headscarf come from my New York Jewish friends and family, I don't recall any Pittsburghese for that item.
    I never ate bologna. Ever. I vaguely recall it was "baloney"? But if you put a bunch of baloney with some cheese and other stuff on an elongated roll it was a "hoagie"
    "Sprinkles"? I moved away from Pittsburgh when I was 10 years old, in case that makes a difference.
    No worries Bob...here are the answers to yesterday’s pop quiz...hoagie is also what most others refer to as a sub.

A. Babushka
    B. Jumbo
    C. Jimmies
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries Bob...here are the answers to yesterday’s pop quiz...hoagie is also what most others refer to as a sub.

A. Babushka
    B. Jumbo
    C. Jimmies
    I only got A and C. I'm not a Pittsburgher, but I grew up and still live within it's linguistic sphere, which extends about 100mi in most directions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steamer View Post
    I only got A and C. I'm not a Pittsburgher, but I grew up and still live within it's linguistic sphere, which extends about 100mi in most directions.
    I grew up about 150 miles east of Pittsburgh. A and C are both words I heard on a regular basis even if I wouldn't use them myself (I would use scarf and sprinkles). B is not one I've ever heard applied to bologna.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A. Babushka
    B. Jumbo
    C. Jimmies
    "babushka" is also what the aforementioned New York Jewish family/friends would say...along with "schmatta"
    And I can't believe I forgot "jimmies"! Although that's definitely tapping into some seriously old memories, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

"Jumbo" = bologna, seriously?!?! Definitely never heard that one!

And just to keep this thread (back) on track: My Assos Airjack 851 is still the be-all/end-all of winter cycling jackets. I'm continually astonished at how warm that is even when I'm stupidly underdressed underneath it.
    Speaking of which, anyone remember where to get Assos kit repaired? After 9 or 10 years the zipper is finally starting to fail...while every other part of it looks essentially brand new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    My top tip is to wear a string type baselayer next to the skin rather than any sort of wool...... wool will get wet from perspiration as it absorbs it, thus it will feel cold against the skin. I wear assos summer base layers under an early winter ASOSs baselayer under a Bonka jacket......works well for me here in the UK for at least 3 months of the year.

Now if I could just sort my feet...
    This. A mesh base layer is going to be the warmest thing you'll wear all winter and the coolest thing you'll wear all summer.

Promise!

I've got a few different jackets that I'll wear depending on the temps: from a Castelli Alpha jersey to a Shimano softshell (thick!). Mixing and matching Assos and Craft base layers with Smartwool merino and the aforementioned mesh base layer gets me into the teens.

I've got a couple pair of Bontrager tights (it's what you end up with working for a Trek shop...) that are nice, but too long in the leg for me. Neither have pads so I'll vary the bib knickers under them depending on how cold it is. I like having that extra layer over the knees when it's cold out.

Having said all that, dressing for winter riding is a very personal thing. Some folks run cold and need more stuff on. Some folks run warm and need less stuff on. I'm pretty consistently dressed in fewer clothes than most guys I know.

M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let's narrow the search...i'm looking for a jacket

the assos mentioned by bob ross seemed to have been the gold standard before it was discontinued...that was what i was trying to elude to in my op

what is the new assos airjack??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12