User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bass boat paint jobs and sparkly paint jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default bass boat paint jobs and sparkly paint jobs.

I have a frame coming in the near future by one of peeps on the Saloon and one of the last things on the to do list is paint:

There was a recent thread on bassboat paint jobs and the homegrowns from Schwinn were always a favorite and I am pretty sure I want to have a simalar paint job if I the builder can make it happen without costing me an arm and a leg.

Before I start talking to the builder/shop etc I wanted to try and get some information on the process or if there is a PPG color I can reference...or if there is another method to get your bike to sparkle I am curious to hear about it.

Anyways, thank you in advance for any thoughts- I always get something good here on the site whether it is a Maine Mike picture series (really liked the last one) or the updates on the Luxemburg champs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: bass boat paint jobs and sparkly paint jobs.

Below is a link to a dark gray with pearl. I understand the "pearl" part is Mica. Wonder if adding more Mica or a specific big flake mica results in a Bass Boat effect.

New World with bigger tires... - Road Bike, Cycling Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the sparkle I use on my powder is a powder topcoat as well - pearl or for big pop I like "adam's gold" topcoat.
    the darker the color the bigger the sparkles.
    matching the color with a sparkle color near it also results in a nice effect like this "curry" with adam's gold topcoat.
    - Garro.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't say I know much about the bassboat thing you guys are talking about.
    Getting a little sparkle in your paint is easy enough though.
    A metallic paint has a light sparkle to it and metal flake size will vary with the specific paint being used. These often don't have the colour saturation of solid colours though.
    Pearls are another option and give a little more depth and richness than standard metallics. One colour of choice with a light pearl sprayed over top can add a bit of sparkle or change the colour completely depending on what is used i.e. white pearl, gold pearl, blue pearl etc... White and gold don't change the colour too much and give a good sparkle in the sunshine. House of colour also has some nice dry pearls and flakes that can be added to the clear coat. Some of these are fine or fairly large flakes so it is good to know what you're after.
    It shouldn't cost too much extra for something like this. I usually only charge an extra $50 for a light pearl coat between the colour and clears.
    Hope that helps,
    noah

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is some large rainbow bass boat metal flake under powder clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you say a “bass boat” paint job I interpret that to mean fairly bright and large flakes in the paint. House of Kolor paint has several large flake options. I’ve done a few like that and it takes quite an effort to make it look good. Don't expect this effort to come cheap. What I don’t want is where there is a lot of space between large flakes. To get the effect I’m looking for, I lay down a base color similar to the flake color. This is most often in a pearl that has smaller flakes. Then I put on the flakes that are mixed into a clear. This can take several coats to get even coverage and I use a special gun with a much bigger orifice. Because the flakes are large, they give a bumpy surface. This has to be sanded down and smoothing it out can cut into the color flakes leaving silver spots. A translucent candy covering can patch up those blemishes. Actually since this isn’t one of my painting classes, I’ve left out a lot of detail but hopefully just enough so you get the general idea.

Another option is to use large silver flakes as a base when doing a candy paint job. What makes a candy paint is sparkles as an undercoat coat shinning through the candy translucent color. It is possible to choose the size (and color) of the underneath sparkles.

Good luck,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow- thanks guys for the thoughtful responses. This is why I love this place.

This helps a bunch and hopefully what I want wont cause me to fall over when I see the bill.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agree with what most others have said, it is not an easy paint job if you want it to look right. I had a homegrown with the bass boat blue and silver paint job, it looked good in the sun. Auto air colors has a clear base that lays down sparkles very nice
    Sam Markovich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Keith's flickr:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, but sure you ask for what you want.

the small, glitter-sized flakes used to be called "metallic"

and the bigass _like onna ProCraft(fiberglass fishing boat)_ flakes called "metalflake".

but i had a frame p/c'd in "bass boat blue" which is metallic atwo--like a 1974 motorcycle lid yo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    yeah, but sure you ask for what you want.

the small, glitter-sized flakes used to be called "metallic"

and the bigass _like onna ProCraft(fiberglass fishing boat)_ flakes called "metalflake".

but i had a frame p/c'd in "bass boat blue" which is metallic atwo--like a 1974 motorcycle lid yo.
    Thank you Wade- I want a frame that is colored "bass boat red" ...kinda like that 1974 motorcyle lid.

Now I got to find out if I can get that....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only limits should be $ and which paint products the painter uses. (most have their faves, and some have those they avoid).

most paints aren't that expensive (relative to each other, it's no cheap)--it's the complexity of the application that drives the price up--as in multicolor and/or special effects jobs.

ask your builder what paints are used and then goto auto paint house and pick what you want. don't go when they're busy or you're short on time. get your pricing from the painter or builder, just get the color code at the paint store.

cheers
    Last edited by WadePatton; 06-28-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carl at Vicious does bass boat paint jobs. I think he's got a bass boat blue frame there now from a show bike. He's right in New Paltz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The paintjob (Spectrum Powderworks) on my Argonaut has a metalflake finish. I live in the PNW so I had it for a few months before I saw it in the sun. It looks cool.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm familiar with the" bass boat" paint on those Schwinn Homegrowns. They didn't just have the flake in them they were almost all flake. They were super cool and I came so close to buying one just because of those slamming cool paintjobs. One thing I do remember hearing about was people complaining about how easily the paint would chip. This was probably a combination of the paint makeup on the aluminum and maybe not treating the frame correctly. (I also remember how Specialized had to repaint a hell of a lot of the first S-Works M2s because they didn't initially know how to get it to sick to the new alloy. On the bright side Specialized made good on it and repainted mine and a half dozen bikes of my friends).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The origins of metalflake (hence the name, duh) is in the custom cars of the 50's and 60's. It contained literally large flakes of aluminum. Metallics came later with smaller particles and a somewhat more subdued (comparatively) appearance. House of Kolor is easiest place to get the flakes now and has good information about application which isn't just mix and shoot. The way the flakes lay, the color underneath etc all change the severity of the appearance. To each his own but IMO, it's rather glaring on a nice bike frame due to the scale of the flakes relative to the surface area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bassboat Schwinns weren't even smooth even smooth to the touch. They were bumpy like someone clear coated 40 grit sandpaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
    The bassboat Schwinns weren't even smooth even smooth to the touch. They were bumpy like someone clear coated 40 grit sandpaper.
    Other than being beat up from riding the sh*t out of it the paint was pretty smooth with clear coat. I just got it back from my son who I gave it to awhile back and plan on rehabbing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what PPG has to offer. Vibrance Collection

Check out the Ditzler Big Flake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread needs Mickey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast