User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Architects and Bicycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Architects and Bicycles

Way cool.

Too bad the only US design is just a concept.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure that that OP is in the correct orientation. I'd say it's more along the lines of 'they bike, so let's build it.' The designs seem to be fixing problems rather than creating infrastructure.

Unfortunately, the US doesn't seem to have the cycling culture that the Euro countries in the pics do.

After all: bikes (and motos) are 'kids toys that adults ride on the weekends.'

IOW color me cynical.

M

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
    I'm not sure that that OP is in the correct orientation. I'd say it's more along the lines of 'they bike, so let's build it.' The designs seem to be fixing problems rather than creating infrastructure.

Unfortunately, the US doesn't seem to have the cycling culture that the Euro countries in the pics do.

IOW color me cynical.

M

I thought it was cool.
    That's all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just rode home from here with my kids after school

9162.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool Richard.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I had seen this article somewhere else and it is always inspiring to see this type of infrastructure built into the fabric of the city. My city actually has a dogmatic approach to bike lanes that, in spite of being a commuter and a cycling advocate, I think are overkill. Part of it is that the road circulation is built for car traffic and, like it or not, we have stripped away 30% of circulation area that ultimately causes more problems than it solves (in my opinion).

Solutions like the ones shown in this article are different (and sometimes dreamy) because they integrate a solution into buildings and infrastructure rather than stripping away the roadways without accounting for a larger vision of how bikes or pedestrians operate in any particular city.

I laugh at those photos of Norreport station in Copenhagen. I have spent a fair bit of time there and seeing all the trashed, abandoned bikes and reckless cycling there gives me hives :). Danes don't seem to mind it - its just part of life for them, I think.

If you go there and like coffee, The Coffee Collective is at this station and is some of the finest brew I have ever had in my life. I even let me kids eat affogato - a real mistake, as they were up until midnight - totally wired from the coffee :).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing...if it serves to get one off of one's arse, then at the very least it's working. I've also seen sections of my own hometown start to rise from blight in part because of having accessibility by bikes. Rails/trails and bikeways in their simplest form, give folks an opportunity to walk, run, bike and stroll in an environment that is void of cars and also give people the opportunity of experiencing sections of town that they only buzz by in a car or bus.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am biased, but we've got some cool cycling infrastructure in Minneapolis.
    martin-olav-sabo-bridge-craig-voth.jpgCyclists_on_the_Sabo_Bridge.jpg
    Last edited by Dancingbear; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:04 PM. Reason: changed photo
    Rob Segal
    Built my first one back in '77

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingbear View Post
    I am biased, but we've got some cool cycling infrastructure in Minneapolis.
    martin-olav-sabo-bridge-craig-voth.jpgCyclists_on_the_Sabo_Bridge.jpg
    I was just going to post the same thing - the Martin Olav Sabo Bridge just south of downtown Minneapolis. I love how connected the Twin Cities are for bikes.

Last edited by Saab2000; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:26 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like 1/10th of that engineering applied to the access ramp to the George Washington Bridge.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I'd like 1/10th of that engineering applied to the access ramp to the George Washington Bridge.
    And here I thought that the lean-into-the-3-foot-wide-180-degree-left-turn-up-the-ramp-without-a-toe-dab-and-scraping-the-rough-concrete-wall was a rite of passage. Silly me.
    Trebor Asugar (me reversed )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkboyrob View Post
    And here I thought that the lean-into-the-3-foot-wide-180-degree-left-turn-up-the-ramp-without-a-toe-dab-and-scraping-the-rough-concrete-wall was a rite of passage. Silly me.
    Sure it is. But once done 100 times, one begins to dream of finer things.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There a are a few cool bridges dedicated for cyclists in Copenhagen. I love this city.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sydney has a looooooooooong way to go...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gummee View Post

IOW color me cynical.

M
    I'm not going to say that the US has anything near the cycling infrastructure of Europe. One thing I will note is that - at least in my corner of the country - it's night & day from a decade ago. As I entered and left the city on my morning rides back then I'd see no other cyclists. None. Now Boston's streets and paths stream with commuters. Parents cart their kids to daycare and school on cargo bikes. We've got bike lanes and growing number of protected cycle tracks.

It's changed fast. I don't know how far those changes will go. I don't know if and how this is changing in other US cities. But we've come a long way in ten years.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My daughter moved to Halifax last year. It's a small city (pop ~ 500,000) but is the largest urban centre on Canada's east coast. Halifax has a very cool indy and progressive vibe, maybe like Austin on the ocean. Very bike friendly too. When she was looking for a place to live, she found Velo Apartments, a centrally located rental unit specifically designed for bike users. Rooms have bicycle themed names: Cervelo, Norco, Schwinn, Cannondale, Shimano etc (interestingly no Marinoni, Miele or Campagnolo). The architecture is modern but not really innovative; there's a dedicated bike repair room with stands and a compressor along with bike storage areas. No parking lot. Rents are affordable, just a little higher than standard for the area. They opened in 2018 and are full. It's nice to know that a bike-themed building could be commercially viable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Sydney has a looooooooooong way to go...
    Oh to live in the first world. Here's the access to the iconic Sydney harbour bridge at the northern end. The southern end has no steps but is dangerously bloody narrow. Numbers are increasing the same as Davids said...on my commute to uni in the 90s you'd be lucky to pass another person on the bridge and almost never on these steps. Now you usually go up them as part of a queue.
    IMG-0344(06-20-09-26-01).jpg

And then in a couple of hundred metres you get this (not sure why it comes up rotated, sorry). It's still two way, they've just blocked half of it. It's been two years now....
    IMG-0345(06-20-09-35-37).jpg

I ride along a main road as part of my commute. A lot of people talk about it as though it were scary dangerous. I find the bike path on the Harbour Bridge easily the most dangerous part of my ride in both directions. Sad but true.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I'm not going to say that the US has anything near the cycling infrastructure of Europe. One thing I will note is that - at least in my corner of the country - it's night & day from a decade ago. As I entered and left the city on my morning rides back then I'd see no other cyclists. None. Now Boston's streets and paths stream with commuters. Parents cart their kids to daycare and school on cargo bikes. We've got bike lanes and growing number of protected cycle tracks.

It's changed fast. I don't know how far those changes will go. I don't know if and how this is changing in other US cities. But we've come a long way in ten years.
    Definitely. I remember being seen as ET wearing my helmet and commuting on a bike in 1991. Now everyone is into cycling.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Now everyone is into cycling.
    Errt more like being part of the 1.2% while we were part of zhe 0.05% before.

Still it is good, the more we are, the more visible we are and the more attention we get fron drivers and authorities.
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast