Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Researching Methods to Turn iPhone Into Feature-Rich Bike Computer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Apple Researching Methods to Turn iPhone Into Feature-Rich Bike Computer

Apple Researching Methods to Turn iPhone Into Feature-Rich Bike Computer - Mac Rumors

"Patently Apple reports on an Apple patent application published today that describes Apple's vision for using the iPhone, iPod, or other electronic device as an interface for a multi-feature bicycle computer. While current bike computers are typically limited primarily to such data as speed, distance, and cadence with the possibility for integration of other devices such as heart rate monitors, Apple's plans reveal a much broader scope to incorporate such features as GPS routing, communications between multiple riders within a group, weather recording, and gear settings.

The premise is rather like Apple's Nike + iPod system for runners except for cyclists. While the system is for individuals, it's also designed to work with teams of cyclists so that they could communicate with each other on-the-fly about course difficulty or perceived problems. The Bicycle system monitors speed, distance, time, altitude, elevation, incline, decline, heart rate, power, derailleur setting, cadence, wind speed, path completed, expected future path, heart rate, power, and pace. The system could utilize various sensors built-into the iPhone in addition to working with sensors already built-into the bike itself. Apple's patent is extraordinarily detailed and packed with interesting twists that the sporting cyclist will really appreciate.
    Communications systems built into the package could allow potential riders to share their riding characteristics others to assist in forming riding groups while also allowing those on a team to view data on other riders. Riders could also communicate with each other via various methods, as well as with outside parties.

Riders can also offer ratings and feedback on potential routes to other riders, with data on their riding characteristics offering a basis for assessing riders' perspective when making ratings and recommendations.

Mapping capabilities could offer riders a wide variety of perspectives and data, including topographic information and landmarks. Turn-by-turn directions could also be transmitted to assist riders with following a pre-determined route.

As always, Apple's patent applications are not necessarily reflective of products it intends to bring to the market, but they do provide some insight into projects the company is thinking about and how they might relate to future device plans.
    "

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Apple Researching Methods to Turn iPhone Into Feature-Rich Bike Computer

can i watch films at the same time?

hey, maybe they're gonna move in on trek dealers and turn em into apple stores.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Apple Researching Methods to Turn iPhone Into Feature-Rich Bike Computer

well, i'm excited about that news. i use Cyclemeter right now and it's pretty good. Something closer to Garmin from Apple Inc would be nice.

and yes, you can watch films, which i assume are pretty weird

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it easier to simply shout out to riding buddies for "difficulties or perceived problems" that might be encountered on the road?
    Seems easier to just use lungs and voicebox rather than getting electronics involved with close-range communications.
    If the fellow riders are out-of-eyesight couldn't a cellular telephone then be utilized? That allows contact both with teammates and outside people alike, all from the same device.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, so I can watch pr0n while riding my bike?

I foresee issues with battery times and shear size of the thing. Makes a crash even more costly in the event of going down hard.

Post Thanks / Like

excitement... cant say that feeling crossed my dried up rusty little heart.

i suppose it might help peolpe congeal many of their habits onto a bicycle, though the why escapes me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Human Epic Jolt View Post
    i suppose it might help peolpe congeal many of their habits onto a bicycle, though the why escapes me.
    all i can offer is my "why": i like knowing how far my ride was, how long it took me and what my average speed was. As a bonus, if a buddy asks about the ride, i can send them a link from the phone that will display our ride's info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheEllipse View Post
    all i can offer is my "why": i like knowing how far my ride was, how long it took me and what my average speed was. As a bonus, if a buddy asks about the ride, i can send them a link from the phone that will display our ride's info.
    fair enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Wow, so I can watch pr0n while riding my bike?
    You don't already? I thought that's what Lance meant when he was talkin about going hard.

Post Thanks / Like

pretty broad patent for a cycle computer.

basically covers ANY communication that includes positional information between devices that are mounted to, or in the vicinity of, any moving object or animal.

mac rumours like apples spin.

they should be called swallow.

Post Thanks / Like

Just imagine what Johan Bruyneel could do with this...

Real time position updates for every team member, the team car, the food hand-up guys.
    Real time power data/HR for all team members so they'll know who's having a good day
    Danger/wind change alerts displayed on the screen
    Tire pressure telemetry?
    Recommended shifts to maintain watts and cadence based on upcoming grades
    "Go full gas, Popo, in 100 yards" from the team leader two riders behind Popo

Race radios - yeah, kind of like a Victrola.

i.e., make it too good and it gets banned.

Post Thanks / Like

some of that patent might well infringe on the ideas i presented here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamesand View Post
    Hey - have you cracked Shimano DI2 yet? I remember you wanted to reprogram it, for kicks.
    wasn't for kicks really. i want to know how what i work with works. i see it as part of my job as a mechanic. i mean how can i repair it, mod it if i dont know?

plus an osilloscope and micro-controller is cheaper than their diagnostic box.

i'm going to take it further over fall/autumn. Been working on a lot of bikes for people with limited capacity. the electronic gearing is really useful there, for those that have limited power in their fingers, or that find it problematic to oversee control of both derailleurs.

what i have now is small snippets of code that do specific things.

ill build them up into a stable program which provides specific functionality.

It's doing half-step ok, for lazy re-enactments.
    and sequential shifting.
    and running on a cassete stripped down to 6 speed.
    and without auto trim for use on said 6 speed.

I have a TT customer that will ride with a special setup next season, providing it proves to be advantageous.

I'm really disappointed that shimano hasn't opened the thing up.

Di2 uses Texas Instruments low power MCU's with a small amount of non volatile memory. I am not familiar with programming these, so i emulated what it does functionally on an ATMEL chip, and also re-routed commands travelling from rear to front derailleur through it, to allow greater control of FD trimming.

I would be interested to directly reprogram the chips which are included with Di2 , but this process I do not have time for. It is much quicker for me to just build from the ground up on the chip I am familiar with and which is widely supported.

Post Thanks / Like

There are already a pile of cycling apps including several ANT+ compatible apps for the iPhone:

iPhone Cycling Applications «

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Apple will release a device that can do all this and still have a decent battery life?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by henry g. View Post
    There are already a pile of cycling apps including several ANT+ compatible apps for the iPhone:

iPhone Cycling Applications «
    Apple may well be looking to Bluetooth ULP.

Would they really pay Garmin?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonathanb View Post
    Maybe Apple will release a device that can do all this and still have a decent battery life?
    what apple does well is software/user interface. while not guaranteed, it's not hard to assume apple could do a better job at native iphone software than everyone else who is already competing in that market. I'm surprised Garmin hasn't entered the iphone/droid app market yet (they haven't, have they?)

Post Thanks / Like

looks like they're busy fighting over airspace with patent lawyers.

garmin have a headstart with ANT ownership and an early move into sports PAN's.

Those 3 companies wont be getting into bed with each other anytime soon. Not until they've got their portfolios sorted.

Post Thanks / Like

Still amazes me that the iPhone can do everything well except be a phone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Still amazes me that the iPhone can do everything well except be a phone
    i've owned a lot of cell phones in my life, and the iphone is certainly better than the others

it's no jitterbug, though