User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Anyone ride tubulars anymore?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anyone ride tubulars anymore?

I've hung onto a pair of Conti Competitions for ten years with the thought that I'll one day do a 12/24 championship. I've got a set of carbon tubulars from 2003 with a 45mm height and Record hubs. They really aren't for stopping, but they'd be good on a closed and swept course.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I must say I replaced a rear Vlaanderen by an (already discontinued) Vittoria Corsa G+ tubular in 28mm and I must say I like the additionnal volume and ride quality. Based on that I wouldn't mind trying the Vittoria Corsa G2.0 in 30mm.

Anyone tried the recent tubular offering from Michelin and Pirelli ? I am intrigued by those and I can find them for much less than the veloflexes/vittorias.
    I have a set of Corsa Control 30mm tubs for winter and they feel nice ride quality wise. Not very fast compared to the Conti GP5000s though. The tread is off of one of the narrower tires I think though as it doesn't extend every far down the sidewall of the tire which makes me a bit nervous that is will get cut by some sharp object. I would be worried about leaning too far, but in the winter that's not really an issue. You sure can ride them at low pressures! I was experimenting with the 50-55psi range and I'm 200lbs kitted with bike. Can't remember what pressure I settled on though, but I'll be mounting them again soon as the rain has come again, so we'll see.
    - Brad Comis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by osbk67 View Post
    I wasn't intending my initial post to be taken seriously... Tubular tyres and their selection, storage and adhesion are very much subject to The Knowledge, that so-called wisdom passed from generation to generation and which gave us 19mm tyres and 125psi. In all seriousness I suspect that as long as tubulars are not exposed to direct sunlight and/or extreme heat nor allowed to get and stay wet then _if_ there is a benefit to aging them it accrues in most storage conditions. That said I've not seen nor looked for any research or actual science on the matter... My own _belief_ is that handmade tubulars tend to cut a little more easily when factory fresh than when two or three seasons old.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I'd just say ride them, don't store them ;-)

I live in Málaga, Spain. 200meters from the beach. My bike is hanging in the stairway which means not in the dark (there are windows) and not really in a fresh place (temp vary from around 18 to 28 celsius degrees I would say). My veloflex tubulars don't seem to suffer too much from this. As a comparison a bit more than a decade ago I lived in a place in Switzerland (much drier and colder weather) where the balcony was the only place where I could store the bike. I didn't use a cover and among other things the tire tread of my bike took a beating from being directly exposed to the sun.

My conclusion is that coastal environment / humidity level is not something you should be concerned. Direct exposition to the sun is something else.
    Got it, thanks all

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one is from a stash that I inherited...From the label, I estimate it to be about twenty years old. Clearly, it was stored properly as it shows no signs of drying. The purity of this old and unsurpassed “technology” is about to be enjoyed on this fabulous fall day without the “benefit” of electronic shifting, disc brakes, any form of bicycle computer, etc....I am not opposed to those things and others, but I do feel bad for the riders who miss or have missed some of these fabulous experiences from our sport’s past. The *RIDE* of a great pair of tubulars is at the top of the list.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Humilis humilibus...Inflectans arroganibus....."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a ride the other day I reached down for the “down tube” shifter for some strange reason, even though I’m riding 12spd Chorus ?

😳
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    On a ride the other day I reached down for the “down tube” shifter for some strange reason, even though I’m riding 12spd Chorus ?

😳
    Could've been worse—you could have been reaching for one of these:

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678