User Tag List

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ride tubulars anymore?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anyone ride tubulars anymore?

I use tubs, but not exclusively. They're swell, but I also can't disagree with what Bertie wrote above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice clincher on the end of that post Lou.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    Yes, they are. Build quality and aesthetics a little below HED, Mavic, Ambrosio, etc. but they make a nice, durable wheel and the width is perfect for these tires. They'll mount and ride even wider than the nominal width. They've been my Cx wheels of choice forever and have reliably seen me to many a 23rd place finish.
    Much appreciated. Seems like they are worth picking up for the price of admission.
    Dan in Oregon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heard these were decent too:

Kinlin TB2 Tubular Rim

Anyone try these before?

-HS

-HS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well thanks a lot for enabling me.

Just snagged a set of Cosmic Carbones on ebay...:)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm approaching 4-months on a set of the new Bora WTO 33 clinchers. They're wonderful wheels; but I've had more punctures in that time than I had on tubs for most of the 8yrs previous. Sure, it could just be coincidence and bad timing, but I'm done.

I don't really have the time to sort tubular properly anymore, but I'm switching back - even if it means using tape (*shudders*).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tape from effetto mariposa works well in my experience. Quick job to install, not messy to remove. A bit expensive but they save so much time. I use mastik for cx only nowadays.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-25-2020 at 04:18 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    I use tubs, but not exclusively. They're swell, but I also can't disagree with what Bertie wrote above.
    I wrote this after I installed a pair of Veloflex Master 28s in early May. I hadn't used Veloflex clinchers since the 90's, and those were 20 mm. The Master 28s are really swell; a notch or four above the GP 5000s I had used previously. A couple of weeks ago I peeled the Masters off. They were spent. I ordered another pair, but in the interim, I reached for my Nemesis that had a pair of fresh Veloflex Vanderaerden 27s mounted. Oh my. I had another Allegory of the Cave moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you pry them from my cold dead hands.

Pal.

Friends do not let friends ride crappy tubulars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill...I’ve explored legally changing my middle name to Vlaanderen, as I enjoy riding those tires so much. I currently have one stretching on a spare rim, as my rear tire is almost worn to the threads and it’s “slippery leaves and moss on the private lane” season. I’m also that guy who just brewed my morning coffee in a Moka Pot, so I don’t wake up my wife...Luddite.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Bill...I’ve explored legally changing my middle name to Vlaanderen, as I enjoy riding those tires so much. I currently have one stretching on a spare rim, as my rear tire is almost worn to the threads and it’s “slippery leaves and moss on the private lane” season. I’m also that guy who just brewed my morning coffee in a Moka Pot, so I don’t wake up my wife...Luddite.
    Are we brothers?

And you can see I had a little fun with a homage to a Belgian bad boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    I wrote this after I installed a pair of Veloflex Master 28s in early May. I hadn't used Veloflex clinchers since the 90's, and those were 20 mm. The Master 28s are really swell; a notch or four above the GP 5000s I had used previously. A couple of weeks ago I peeled the Masters off. They were spent. I ordered another pair, but in the interim, I reached for my Nemesis that had a pair of fresh Veloflex Vanderaerden 27s mounted. Oh my. I had another Allegory of the Cave moment.
    No shadows on the wall—these are the real deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post

You must be dead because that looks like heaven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been called shallow, frothy, flighty before, but is it just me who sees the new Veloflex Protour tub as an aesthetic blight when juxtaposed with the good old Vlaanderen? The tread of the Protour looks like the pocked face of a pubescent teenager.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just glued up a new pair of 22mm Sprinters on GL 330s for my 86 Allez and want to get some of the latest Veloflex to replace the Vittoria Corsa on the Nemesis for my RS but it Looks like they are not shipping here. I might just get more Sprinters. I also switched to a can of Mastic a while back—so much easier than tubes of Continental. The brush cleans well enough with acetone and saves $.50
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    The tape from effetto mariposa works well in my experience. Quick job to install, not messy to remove. A bit expensive but they save so much time. I use mastik for cx only nowadays.
    You lose constant ~7W when using Carogna instead of Mastik. (Link) And with Mastik you lose 3W when compared to top end tubeless tires or clinchers with latex.... So using Carogna makes even the best tubulars require constant 10W more compared to GP5000 TL.

I would only use Carogna for CX, because I have found it hold CX tires really well even on Nemesis rims. (unlike a regiular glue job.) In CX use the CRR loss also doesn't matter that much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ant_tip View Post
    You lose constant ~7W when using Carogna instead of Mastik. (Link) And with Mastik you lose 3W when compared to top end tubeless tires or clinchers with latex.... So using Carogna makes even the best tubulars require constant 10W more compared to GP5000 TL.

I would only use Carogna for CX, because I have found it hold CX tires really well even on Nemesis rims. (unlike a regiular glue job.) In CX use the CRR loss also doesn't matter that much.
    To be honest it is not like I care that much as I am mostly riding on my own and if I am joining a group 10w is usually pretty negligible compared to my difference in fitness between me an stronger or slower people.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still riding tubulars and still feel the benefit of them but my latest road wheel set are going to be clinchers with lighter weight butyl tubes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm a comfort seeker. My days of hard training and pure performance are behind me. The rural roads I ride on are typically made of chunky crushed rock made up to an unsophisticated rough chip seal finish for the purpose of carrying truck traffic. Potholes are plentiful and more so surface degredation with corrugations are pock marked delaminated tar patches are standard. This all equals plenty of road buzz. So I appreciate the lower pressures tubulars can operate at without pinching whilst supplying a supple, vibration absorbing ride.

However, that said, recently I fitted some fresh tyres to a friend's clincher wheels and tested them on my own bike for a week and ran a few psi above my usual tubular pressures to discover the ride feel was more than adequate for my comfort seeking backside and wrists and also the light weight butyl tubes did not pinch flat even when I plunged the bike into rough patches and even some shallow but sharp lipped pot holes........... That was good enough for me to 'revert back' to clinchers for a new wheel set when clincher rims were the only option for my preferred spec. on this particular bike build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post

Man, does this look fabulous !

Rode this in Roubaix last year. Perfect. On the road I still prefer roubaix 25 and I will try the new updated ones once I run out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by classtimesailer View Post
    I just glued up a new pair of 22mm Sprinters on GL 330s for my 86 Allez and want to get some of the latest Veloflex to replace the Vittoria Corsa on the Nemesis for my RS but it Looks like they are not shipping here. I might just get more Sprinters. I also switched to a can of Mastic a while back—so much easier than tubes of Continental. The brush cleans well enough with acetone and saves $.50
    Merlin ships to the US and their tubular prices are very good. Shipping is $27, so you need to buy a few to average out the shipping cost.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast