User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Any thoughts if this is catastrophic? Suggestions for how to proceed with my LBS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any thoughts if this is catastrophic? Suggestions for how to proceed with my LBS?

Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post
    More advice sought: any thoughts on sending the fork to Ruckus for an ultrasound before it goes back to ENVE? ENVE indicated to me they would simply sand the paint and visually inspect.
    If you can justify the cost of this, I'd probably do it.

What does it cost, out of interest?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any thoughts if this is catastrophic? Suggestions for how to proceed with my LBS?

The headset is actually a green Chris King. It picks up the green metallic or green flake thatís part of the graphics and fade of the IF logo. So, thereís justification for a dark green with white masks. Or a metallic green/yellow fade
    On that basis I'd say the original fork was missing a trick anyway!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You already have the manufacturer inspecting and probably offering you a crash replacement deal, I would just send it to them and avoid wasting their time prolonging the process/communication unnecessarily. makes it seem like Enve are not experts and that you need a second opinion--Enve will know what theyre looking at and they are already working with you (and you are not even the original owner, I might add!).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sending a used fork for ultrasound exam and to be inspected by the manufacturer makes it seem the fork needs a DNR order.
    Might as well just use another bicycle for the planned upcoming ride.

Then you can allocate the "analysis money" towards a paintjob for the fork...or even for the whole bicycle.
    As another poster mentioned, once confidence is lost in the integrity of a component it is time for it to be retired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iím curious about the costs of their services. Their scan may be cheaper than even a touch up repainting of the fork. And maybe more useful? Itís been suggested in this thread that a visual inspection of the outside surface of the carbon may not be sufficient to diagnose if the damage is the result of a void or other issue. ENVE have told me their inspection is only visual.

ENVE will also offer me nothing towards the replacement fork if that one is indeed fine - this is understandable - though they will damage the paint to find out.

Iím already in for $500 for an overnighted fork. Iíve made my peace with those sunk costs as the reality of my immediate situation and costs of my plans for the safe use of this frame for the next few weeks. I have alternative rides, but they too have costs and time associated that arenít nothing. If Ruckus can show a void, their fees will come out of the discount ENVE will offer me retroactively - or they may show something dangerous that ENVEís visual inspection does not. If they find itís simply a paint chip, then Iím the proud owner of a new retail ENVE fork and another with custom paint that needs incidental touch up as opposed to professional prep and respray. Thatís basically my current situation but without definitive info about the crack. If they can find out non-destructively (to the paint), it may still be a savings to me, and with maybe more confidence?

Iíve sent them some pics, and a description of the situation. This is a small localized area and there wasnít a crash. It may be a very simple effort on their end. Will update.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black forks are cool. Strap it on and go for a ride.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Black forks are cool. Strap it on and go for a ride.
    Thatís tomorrowís project!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing about Ultrasound is it may emphatically say something IS damaged but it cannot say for sure that something isn't damaged.

Sometimes the resolution required to find delams is far greater than the capability of the machines being used in the bike industry today.

You said Enve made you a deal, they sent you a fork... now send yours back.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" óJustin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for keeping up with this Nick.

ENVE didn't really make me a deal. I purchased a new fork from them at full retail plus expedited shipping. Because I needed an immediate solution in-hand, now I'm all set with a safe, warrantied fork.

The staff I spoke to where excellent, understanding of my situation, and offered their typical 30% discount to 2nd hand owners if and only if they find a defect in the old fork and their method to determine this is obviously destructive to the paint. They will credit me about $115 retroactively, which is unusual. But only if I send them the old fork and ask them to inspect and again, that they find a defect. At this moment, we're both whole and owe each other nothing, and I'm satisfied either way.

Now, If non-destructive testing isn't definitive then the ultrasound is not worth doing.

In your opinion, would you be satisfied with ENVE's paint removal and visual inspection? Others have suggested a visual inspection can also be inconclusive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Actually his steerer was Aluminum too IIRC. I'm not saying carbon is weak either (it is not).
    And Hincapie's fork alu steerer tube wasn't heat treated properly as it reportedly got overlooked in the rush to get the forks over to Belgium to the Discovery Team Service Course. And it was the second hard crash on the cobbles that it had suffered that day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point why continue to do truly extraordinary "lifesaving" efforts on a secondhand fork?
    Wouldn’t it be easiest to utilize "raw fork" for upcoming event and then immediately send everything out to IF for paint?

At that time...might as well get whole bicycle painted (no matching issues) plus having full confidence in brand new fork.
    The alternate path seems there is an *extra* fork, new, unfinished, that will be awaiting a future bicycle project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There you go, I didn't realized the extent of the deal. Sorry but I have no further advice other than be safe out there.

Thanks for keeping up with this Nick.

ENVE didn't really make me a deal. I purchased a new fork from them at full retail plus expedited shipping. Because I needed an immediate solution in-hand, now I'm all set with a safe, warrantied fork.

The staff I spoke to where excellent, understanding of my situation, and offered their typical 30% discount to 2nd hand owners if and only if they find a defect in the old fork and their method to determine this is obviously destructive to the paint. They will credit me about $115 retroactively, which is unusual. But only if I send them the old fork and ask them to inspect and again, that they find a defect. At this moment, we're both whole and owe each other nothing, and I'm satisfied either way.

Now, If non-destructive testing isn't definitive then the ultrasound is not worth doing.

In your opinion, would you be satisfied with ENVE's paint removal and visual inspection? Others have suggested a visual inspection can also be inconclusive.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" óJustin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    At this point why continue to do truly extraordinary "lifesaving" efforts on a secondhand fork?
    Wouldn’t it be easiest to utilize "raw fork" for upcoming event and then immediately send everything out to IF for paint?

At that time...might as well get whole bicycle painted (no matching issues) plus having full confidence in brand new fork.
    The alternate path seems there is an *extra* fork, new, unfinished, that will be awaiting a future bicycle project.
    Thanks for following along. I'm all set for my upcoming needs with the new fork from ENVE.

What I'm exploring, now that the immediate pressure is off, is if there is a way to determine the safety of the original fork with high confidence and minimizing additional costs. If ENVE can do that, great. If Ruckus can do that for a small fee, but lower restorative costs, if any, also great.

If it's just not possible to definitively determine the safety of this strangely-cracked-but-obviously-never-crashed-expensively-custom-painted fork, then I'll just cut the dropouts off and keep it for a painter to use to match down the road if I chose that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might need that clamp. Send me a PM if you still have it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do still have it. If you make a small donation to the VSalon I'll ship it wherever you'd like.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345