User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts if this is catastrophic? Suggestions for how to proceed with my LBS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any thoughts if this is catastrophic? Suggestions for how to proceed with my LBS?

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Any headset design that would be least prone to that?
    It scares me sometimes because it's likely one of the highest stressed parts of the fork-steerer.

ps This happened yesterday : Pijnlijk: stuur van Zwitser Pellaud breekt af tijdens sprint voor ereplaats | sporza
    I've got no problem with CC110's but I suspect the issues stem from improperly adjusted systems. I also sometimes question the quality of the resins and cure profiles of some(not all, none in particular) imports. I have nothing concrete to back up that concern but it does stick in my mind as someone who monitors cure profiles very closely and uses materials from a top notch US manufacturer with test data to back up every batch of pre-preg I take delivery of.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" óJustin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any thoughts if this is catastrophic? Suggestions for how to proceed with my LBS?

Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post

Now, I'm still tweaking my position a little as this is a new frameset to me, but I can say that it feels like keeping the front tire touching the ground in a bumpy turn is a little more challenging than any other fork I own (steel, aluminum, carbon) - even with plump tubulars and 70psi in the front tire. That may just be my perception, not being used to the stiffness and damping of these latest OS carbon forks. Or that I'm not quite weighting the front wheel enough. I'm happy to experiment with this. The Ritchey Comp carbon cross fork on my Spooky is significantly more flexible fore/aft. But they are totally different designs.

The ENVE is a good fork. Sounds more like bike geometry/handling difference on this bike. You'll need to ride it more to figure out handling details, if only because switching now to make it more like your other bike might erase some of the handling that works better than your other bike. Deal with the fork issue, then ride it and clear your head once everything is sorted.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jorn,

ENVE is overnighting me another fork. They'll get the damaged one after I swap HS baseplates. If they find a fault, I'll get some relief for the price of the new fork.

I also just got the build sheet from IF. Turns out the seller was a little off on his geo disclosure and the seat angle is a .5ļ slacker than I expected. It explains why my seat looks so far forward in the rails with my typical setback from the BB. At my seat height it puts the clamp a little less than a cm farther aft.

He also bobbled the ST diameter. Anyone need a 35mm Campy FD clamp, as-new?

N

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he didn't fall thats really amazing.
    "The older I get the better I was" Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    If he didn't fall thats really amazing.
    The Youtube clip here
    Tour du Doubs 219 ARRIVEE - YouTube

I think he did go down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top of fork broke off in the stem clamp. Gagh.

I think I am going to check my wife's bikes tonight.
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:12 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The steerer failures on camera are all with guys that "slam the stem" with no spacers: Hincapie-Terpstra both in P-R and this rider too.
    Of course pro's don't ride with spacers much anyway. My gut feel is that it turns the impact into a karate chop, versus more gentle impact if the steerer can flex-absorb some.
    Force introduction is the term in engineering I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The steerer failures on camera are all with guys that "slam the stem" with no spacers: Hincapie-Terpstra both in P-R and this rider too.
    The Hincapie crash was 13 years ago...

Evoking it in 2019 only serves as evidence there are so few high profile mechanical failures we
    have to go back several million miles raced to remember another one. Does that count for
    or against the safety record of modern pro gear?

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    The Hincapie crash was 13 years ago...

Evoking it in 2019 only serves as evidence there are so few high profile mechanical failures we
    have to go back several million miles raced to remember another one. Does that count for
    or against the safety record of modern pro gear?

-g
    Actually his steerer was Aluminum too IIRC. I'm not saying carbon is weak either (it is not).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"...ENVE is overnighting me another fork.
    They'll get the damaged one after I swap HS baseplates.
    If they find a fault, I'll get some relief for the price of the new fork..."
    Hope the replacement fork works out well and you’re completely back on the road soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually his steerer was Aluminum too IIRC. I'm not saying carbon is weak either (it is not).
    Yes, the failed Hincapie fork indeed had an Al steerer. Ironically, it was from a Trek hybrid of the day with the intention of being 'stronger' for Roubaix than the standard full carbon model.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

24 hours later:

DSC00374.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 people have died in Australia in recent years through old Streeters failing. Obviously we are not privy to the treatment those bikes went through during their lifetimes, nor is it right to speculate; but catastrophic outcomes in both instances which have made me more nervous and cautious than ever with regard to older forks - particularly on second hand bikes.

To the OP: It'll be a shame not to have those lovely IF graphics on your new fork, but they can be added when you can justify the expense. To be able to enjoy your new acquisition safely is infinitely more important!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A recommendation whilst I'm at it: white is hard to match on a respray, so I'd consider reversing the frame colours on the fork to disguise it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Rich,

Iíve already spoken to IF about the paint. Getting the original PPG color code is relatively straightforward - they have the build specs and paint codes from the original order - and they can reproduce it or let me bring that info to another painter. ENVE will inspect the original fork. If itís undamaged but for paint, it can be either touched up or an opportunity for an additional design detail over the sanded off area. If itís a loss, I can have this one painted during a period when Iím away for a few weeks. What appears black on the original fork are actually transparent masks showing a carbon weave pattern below and with clear over top. It looks simple but the whole bike has deceptively time consuming paintwork!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Rich,

I’ve already spoken to IF about the paint. Getting the original PPG color code is relatively straightforward - they have the build specs and paint codes from the original order - and they can reproduce it or let me bring that info to another painter.
    Sure; but my point being that the original paint will have aged and discoloured, so the 'same PPG code' won't actually end up being the same colour.

On my suggestion about the reverse colours, to keep the cost down or as an interim measure, you could even just get the IF logos done in a white vinyl to apply to the black fork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Sure; but my point being that the original paint will have aged and discoloured, so the 'same PPG code' won't actually end up being the same colour.

On my suggestion about the reverse colours, to keep the cost down or as an interim measure, you could even just get the IF logos done in a white vinyl to apply to the black fork.
    The black headset breaks up the white on white problem. This is an easier match than some newer configurations that hide the headset for a fully integrated look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say bring back the lairy fork graphics...to hell with the matching paint.

Subtle Frame, Lairy Forks - Me Likey
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The headset is actually a green Chris King. It picks up the green metallic or green flake thatís part of the graphics and fade of the IF logo. So, thereís justification for a dark green with white masks. Or a metallic green/yellow fade :)

I have a fit session scheduled Thursday so weíll install and trim the new matte black ENVE fork. Will post new pics and we can poll the group for a paint plan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More advice sought: any thoughts on sending the fork to Ruckus for an ultrasound before it goes back to ENVE? ENVE indicated to me they would simply sand the paint and visually inspect.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast