Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any 650b out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any 650b out there?

I should have added that I知 going to try a few cyclocross races on the Open this fall. It値l be my first time racing cyclocross, and I知 happy to have a bike that gives me an easy option for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 2 650b bikes and both work well as gravel bikes. The main advantage is you maintain the handling of a 700c road bike but get the extra volume of a fatter tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    i cant even ride a tire wider than 35 and feel right about it.
    That's not true Matt, you can actually run 42s and maybe even 47 with a swap of the brakes ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marin View Post
    That's not true Matt, you can actually run 42s and maybe even 47 with a swap of the brakes ;)
    I know i have capabilities, what im saying is i dont enjoy the feel of anything larger than 35mm 700c or 42mm 650b when im riding. the fat tires dont feel good to me.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know i have capabilities, what im saying is i dont enjoy the feel of anything larger than 35mm 700c or 42mm 650b when im riding. the fat tires dont feel good to me.
    I think that the 700c x 38, 650b x 42 are the ideal spots that balance handling and speed in those sizes. To them I add 559 x 54 when I need maximum plush and handling.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hear! Hear!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uh, this, cross is limited to 700c 32 or 33mm isnt it? and anyway, i get the whole fat tire thing, i just dont get it. i mean isnt part of the fun trying to do too much with too little? i cant even ride a tire wider than 35 and feel right about it.
    I felt the same way as you. You can go faster, take more chances, and not worry about flatting.

Ask Nate Z about skinny tires, going fast and flatting :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Hear! Hear!
    Quoting this before you delete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    I felt the same way as you. You can go faster, take more chances, and not worry about flatting.

Ask Nate Z about skinny tires, going fast and flatting :)
    Im actually not sure i can take more chances or go faster than im already going on my routes! and those fat tires will certainly make the travel to the gravel slower and less enjoyable. i choose 32s more often than 35s even though either set is ready to roll in a seconds notice along with a 650b 42s set (though id have to swap brakes). there is something about pushing the limit of those not so skinny skinny gravel tires that i get a kick out of. that being said i have only ever ridden a bike with ridiculous big tires once, so maybe id get used to the advantages after some time. But i have the ability to run quite an assortment and still choose 32s most of the time.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

32s are my most used size too for mixed use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

changed a bad boy ultra to 650b using 650bx 38 gravel kings- mostly use this a knock around rig and it is an absolute blast to ride in this format - very versatile , quick and smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    I swap 700c and 650b on the same bike.

650x42 is a lot of fun, sometimes I just leave those on - given the condition of paved roads in the greater Boston area, the extra volume can be a benefit even on our so-called pavement - but I mainly run 650b when I expect most of the ride to be on dirt roads, loose gravel, etc.

If your bike has discs, swapping wheel sizes is the route to a one-bike quiver.
    I've been following you on instaham since I saw your bike posted bike Firefly. Love it. Does your Whisky no9 RD+ fit 650x47's with fenders by chance? I love the idea of a bike just like yours. 700x25 fast wheels, 650x47 for mixed roads, training, commuting, New England road riding. Put some JonBons on for some slightly more trail on gravel. This fork seems to be the answer without resorting to full on CX fork with massive axle-to-crown height. How you liking it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paulrobertdavis View Post
    I've been following you on instaham since I saw your bike posted bike Firefly. Love it. Does your Whisky no9 RD+ fit 650x47's with fenders by chance? I love the idea of a bike just like yours. 700x25 fast wheels, 650x47 for mixed roads, training, commuting, New England road riding. Put some JonBons on for some slightly more trail on gravel. This fork seems to be the answer without resorting to full on CX fork with massive axle-to-crown height. How you liking it?
    Yes. I have the Whisky RD+ fork with fenders on my FF, and it fits a 650x48 with a fender. The linked picture shows 650x42s with fenders, but there is plenty of room for a 48 under that fender too.
    This is a great fork. It looks right with 650b and middling 700c. Rides nicely
    Steve Park

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paulrobertdavis View Post
    Hey, thanks.

Yup, that's what this bike is for - all purpose New England all road bike.

My bike is spec'd for 700x38 and 650x53, where the the limits are mostly set by the chainstays. I've been able to fit 700x40 without any problems, but it's tight and the front derailleur might be the critical point.

You can probably get an official spec on the fork from Whisky, but I would guess that 650x47 + fenders = easy.

I've got tons of front clearance with Babyshoe (650x42 on Enve M50), BonJon (700x35 on Enve 3.4), and Vittoria Terrano (700x40 on Enve G23). The only tight spot is 700x40 in the rear... still doable.

Hope that helps...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12