User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: anthony and martin atmo -

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default anthony and martin atmo -

pal and uber-shooter anthony skorochod added a killer image gallery to his smugmug site atmo. i
    only see anthony during 'cross season when he follows the circus from venue to venue and often
    finds an rs 'cross team rider in his lens. these pics here are from a recent trip he took to the martin
    guitar factory. go mental, huh.

10010001 10010001 010001 010101001 001001

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: anthony and martin atmo -

Richard - Thanks for the link. Awesome photographs!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are some of the nicer photos I've seen of the Martin factory tour. I have friends there and have been to the factory dozens of times. You can see that it's a giant operation and truly is a factory setting, with all that implies. You won't find very many folks there who are luthiers in the traditional sense of being able to make a guitar from scratch. Each one is very, very good at what they do though. We've seen a little give and take lately about whether an effbuilder is analogous to a luthier at all and I, for one, believe that there are great similarities in their approaches to craft and how they interact with their audience (players or riders). You need to get to know solo luthiers like TJ Thompson or Kim Walker to see the true similarities. See below for two of my most prized Martins, a 1930 OM-28 and a 1935 000-28 with a shaded top. For the uninitiated, both are grail-ish guitars for those who mess with such things. Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anthony here. Thanks for all the kind words. It would be nice to go back in there with multiple lenses and flash equipment and get some better shots. I was just tagging along with a regular tour group with one camera and no flash. I was actually there on assignment for a local internet news site based in Nazreth, PA. I kind of like to do these photo assignments incognito and not have them know who I am. I was surprised as well to see how "factory-like" it was myself. The tour guide told us that less than 10% of the employees there play the guitar. I guess it doesn't really matter- if you're one of the people working at one of the workstations and do the same thing to the same components thousands of times over the span of decades, you eventually become an expert at what you do. Fantastic place making a fantastic world-known product. I'm proud to have C.F. Martin & Co. in my town.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingcaptured View Post
    Anthony here. Thanks for all the kind words. It would be nice to go back in there with multiple lenses and flash equipment and get some better shots. I was just tagging along with a regular tour group with one camera and no flash. I was actually there on assignment for a local internet news site based in Nazreth, PA. I kind of like to do these photo assignments incognito and not have them know who I am. I was surprised as well to see how "factory-like" it was myself. The tour guide told us that less than 10% of the employees there play the guitar. I guess it doesn't really matter- if you're one of the people working at one of the workstations and do the same thing to the same components thousands of times over the span of decades, you eventually become an expert at what you do. Fantastic place making a fantastic world-known product. I'm proud to have C.F. Martin & Co. in my town.
    tony thanks for stopping by atmo. your very description of the visit reminds me of The Making of Steinway L107.
    all there are trained, and trained well, and the end product is a true collaboration of people, trades, and work stations.