User Tag List

Thread: another tire thread: 650x47 (or more)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default another tire thread: 650x47 (or more)

Seeking a reco for 650x47 or bigger tires.

For context, the Enve G23+Compass Bon Jon Pass is proving to be my goldilocks setup.

It's an embarrassment of riches, however I also have an M50+Babyshoe Pass set, which now sees less use - I run these for longer, primarily gravel rides.

Thinking ahead to when group rides return, I occasionally join some local rides that are basically New England singletrack, and a mix of bikes participate. No one rides slicks (except me), and I usually encounter a few spots where traction is a concern - steep, punchy climbs on loose surfaces, plus lots of roots, leaves, etc.

What's the flavor du jour for light, reasonably durable, all purpose knobbies? I can fit up to 53c, but I see many options around 47.

TIA, V-place hivemind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: another tire thread: 650x47 (or more)

Rene Herse Switchback Hill (slick) or whatever the knobby version is called. I was running SBH on my Open and they are awesome, switched to the knobbie version and it is totally great, even on pavement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Rene Herse Switchback Hill (slick) or whatever the knobby version is called. I was running SBH on my Open and they are awesome, switched to the knobbie version and it is totally great, even on pavement.
    That would be the Juniper Ridge: 65B x 48 Juniper Ridge TC | Rene Herse Cycles

Teravail also has quite a few 650b x 47 options: Teravail | Tires to Master Your Terrain

I don't have much else to add to this thread other than the fact I don't like my WTB Horizons and will be swapping them out for some Rene Herse Switchback Hills whenever I can finally learn how to get tubeless tires off tubeless rims without taking them to a shop and paying $15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
    whenever I can finally learn how to get tubeless tires off tubeless rims without taking them to a shop and paying $15.
    Sounds annoying as hell. Sorry for the issues. I'm passing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
    That would be the Juniper Ridge: 65B x 48 Juniper Ridge TC | Rene Herse Cycles

Teravail also has quite a few 650b x 47 options: Teravail | Tires to Master Your Terrain

I don't have much else to add to this thread other than the fact I don't like my WTB Horizons and will be swapping them out for some Rene Herse Switchback Hills whenever I can finally learn how to get tubeless tires off tubeless rims without taking them to a shop and paying $15.
    I like my horizons, but anyway, just push the beads in toward the centerline of the rim with your thumbs (they should snap a bit) then use tire levers as normal. I have WTB and DT rims, both work the same way in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iíve been riding Terravail Rutlands (650bx47) for the last 6 months or so, set up tubeless, on my Open UP. I like them a lot. I bought them just because thatís what my LBS had.

They donít feel slow, road hum isnít too bad, and the knobs are nice when I need them. My rides are probably 80% gravel with some fire roads and singletrack thrown in. Before the Rutlands I had WTB Byways which were fine, but I found myself more than occasionally wanting something with knobs.

My only gripe is that theyíre the fastest wearing tires Iíve ever had. They have about 800 miles in 6 months and knobs on rear tire are starting to vanish. But that may just be the nature of knobbies.

Iíll be trying pumpkin ridge next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liteskin Schwalbe Thunder Burts are light and fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rode these in non tubeless. They are great on the beach and the road. Still good on everything else, but you do miss the knobbies when out of the sadle on steep gravel and when descending.
    Schwalbe G-One Speed Tire - 29 x 2.35, Tubeless, Folding, Black, Evolu | Worldwide Cyclery

edit : and 2.35"!
    Last edited by rabo; 1 Week Ago at 09:33 AM.