Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: another reason to commute to work

Post Thanks / Like

Default another reason to commute to work

ya ya ya we've seen a bunch of these articles but this one is pretty cool. we should all be like tootall and start riding.

im bored out of my mind at the toronto airport so forgive me. how many of you commute and how far?

work is 3miles away and i take my car. call me a slacker.

INFOGRAPHIC: Why You Need To Stop Driving Your Car Right Now

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: another reason to commute to work

7.5 miles each way, big climb to get home in the evening.
    Sometimes my work day really sucks. If I ride to work I at least know that I've had some exercise, and there's still something to look forward to at the end.
    Plus you get to ride a Frankenbike with funky lights as your winter salt spray commuter.

Post Thanks / Like

It's so easy, man. You have a b-fendered Hampsten right?

Get a rack (Tubus Fly) some armored clincher tires and go berserk.

I've been commuting almost as long as Senor Too Tall. It's pretty great but difficult to do a specific workout in my roundtripper (18-20 miles).

You have nothing to lose but your self respect. ;-)
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like

ya ya ya i'll do it at some point. a case of beer to the first person who finds me a cool commuter bike on ebay (55 or something) for less than 1k. i have my hampsten di2 bike now. plus- i dont need fenders. ask the jerk.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is only 10 miles each way, but I can easily add hills and distance when time/light/will permits.

I have serious thoughts of just selling my car thus forcing me to commute more often. I'd still have my Ducati for cavorting around.

Post Thanks / Like

2 blocks on foot. I triple my commute distance when I want a latte not from Starbucks. In the winter when it's cold I make my commute underground. I got it pretty good.
    ***Instagram***
    my name is Houston

Post Thanks / Like

Gawd I love the bicycle commute. Forget about work on my way home and plan my work day on the way in. NOT TO MENTION twice a day I am witness to so much beauty outside.
    When I do not commute "Training" per se can be a chore.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a New Year's resolution but I will be commuting in the new year. Broken arm (happened during commute home) is healed up. Renovation to the gym in the building will be done. (Winter) driving in Calgary sucks. New bike lanes on my route as of Sept. Fenders and studs mounted. All the pieces in place.

Post Thanks / Like

I walk pretty much everywhere. 30 minute hikes are the norm because I can't bring myself to buy a beater bike.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like

nicely designed info in the link.

I love taking the dog into work (the sole employee, she's a helluva greeter) but it means driving instead of taking the bike and I miss the commuting time... especially on the way home as the head clearer.

I've started making Fridays dog-free so I can commute, and on a good Friday take the long way home. Bella no likey and wonders why we don't just kick it in the woods for hikes on Fridays.
    IMG_2211.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a brand-new Tubus rack sitting across the room from my fender-ed, eyelet-ed Zank. I just can't bring myself to commute after dark in urban Boston traffic.

So maybe this spring?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like

I think more people would commute by bike because of the fun/enjoyment factor than the exercise/gas savings factors, but it is hard to make graphics that illustrate the enjoyment benefit.
    When I talk to people considering riding to work I always point out the fun factor/notice a lot more beauty and poetic things is the biggest advantage. the other stuff is gravy.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a round trip of about 10 miles. Its easy to do and I can ride longer if I want before or after work. But if I'm feeling lazy I can just go straight to work. I have no car so its my only way of getting to work which makes actually riding in really easy.

I've been car less for about 7 years with commutes ranging from 2 miles to about 18.

It's one of my favorite things in my life.
    "Skinny tires are dangerous", Tim.

Justin Bagnati - Signature Cycles
    justin@signaturecycles.com
    Instagram- JustinBagnati

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wofford View Post
    nicely designed info in the link.

I love taking the dog into work (the sole employee, she's a helluva greeter) but it means driving instead of taking the bike and I miss the commuting time... especially on the way home as the head clearer.

I've started making Fridays dog-free so I can commute, and on a good Friday take the long way home. Bella no likey and wonders why we don't just kick it in the woods for hikes on Fridays.
    IMG_2211.JPG
    Years ago I used to have a trailer in which my dog rode to work with me. It's takes some getting used to but it was a cool thing and people got a kick out of it. All the kids in town thought it was awesome.
    "Skinny tires are dangerous", Tim.

Justin Bagnati - Signature Cycles
    justin@signaturecycles.com
    Instagram- JustinBagnati

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    ya ya ya i'll do it at some point. a case of beer to the first person who finds me a cool commuter bike on ebay (55 or something) for less than 1k. i have my hampsten di2 bike now. plus- i dont need fenders. ask the jerk.
    Fenders are killer to keep your work pants clean dud. $1000 will go a long way for a commuter.

Can't tell if this thing has fender mounts or not but it is in your neck of the woods:
    54 cm Cyclocross bike for sale

Something like this if you want to go all retro:
    1974 Raleigh Super Course - 23" Reynolds 531

Post Thanks / Like

Also have about 10 miles round-trip, with a decent climb each way. Very easy to add more with 50+ miles of rail trail going in various directions. I might commute a day a week right now...just lazy. Been seriously considering selling my car this spring. Maybe get a smaller DS moto instead and commute as much as possible.

In Oregon it was so easy. Never drove a car. Here it is more difficult, and I think the chances of getting hit on the road are much, much higher. The awareness factor just isn't there. I guess fear of getting hit and the lack of appropriate gear keeps me from commuting daily. Just excuses, though...

I'd like to (and plan to) do it more often.

Nice link - thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I ride everywhere. Yes, I also have 3 cars that literally do not get driven.

That info graphic, btw, is total healthcaremanagementdegree.com spam but I believe every word of it. Nearly.

Also have a dog-specific bike that swoop loves.

Darren, that Hufnagel. That thing should've "won" the Oregon Manifest.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wofford View Post
    I think more people would commute by bike because of the fun/enjoyment factor than the exercise/gas savings factors, but it is hard to make graphics that illustrate the enjoyment benefit.
    When I talk to people considering riding to work I always point out the fun factor/notice a lot more beauty and poetic things is the biggest advantage. the other stuff is gravy.
    I feel ya Dave on the poetics but yesterday I was lashed with rain and wind at 37Fahrenheit. I still love it at those times, kinda.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    I walk pretty much everywhere. 30 minute hikes are the norm because I can't bring myself to buy a beater bike.
    Same here! By the time I get dressed to ride through whatever weather and pack the shitte I'll need in case of flats, pack the lock, drag the farking thing down 5 flights of stairs I could be halfway there or more on foot. And I'm not buying a beater either.
    "In the old days when people invented a new function they had something useful in mind."

~Henri Poincare

Post Thanks / Like

I used to bike commute quite a bit when I worked for DoD (50 mile round trips, about 100 times a year for several years). Unfortunately, the agency I'm currently consulting has done everything in their power to PREVENT me from bike commuting:
    1) Cut my access from the showers claiming they have other plans for the room -- 6 months now and no changes to the off-limits shower room.
    2) Made unsubstantiated claims that I cannot bring a bike into the building -- the building management office disagrees, but I could be fired if I disobey.
    3) Has said that I can park in the parking lot -- the one that's a quarter mile walk from my building.

Yet more reasons to hate TSA.