Thread: another mainstream commuting article

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default another mainstream commuting article

http://www.newsweek.com/id/149224?GT1=43002

Not the Portland I remember exactly, and filtered through coke-bottle glasses perhaps, but it's hitting the public consciousness.

Sooner than later, there's going to have to be a crackdown on cycling traffic laws. I'm as guilty as the next when it comes to blowing an occasional light, flipping someone off, or throwing down some urban survival tactics on the bike. But what happens if/when there are 10x/20x/Xx times the number of riders?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bicycles are legal vehicles and their drivers should obey the same laws they obey in their cars. Not pedestrian laws, moving vehicle laws with whatever local bike laws exist.
    Now...to experienced cyclists that line sounds like a load of crap. But, as more and more inexperienced cyclists get on the road to do their commutes, the fact that they are driving a legal vehicle, not acting as some fast forward pedestrian with the right of way needs to be hammered home. Heck, last night I saw a needless traffic jam in the local bike lane in our town...(check the lane, signal, pass...how hard is it?) people get out of their cars and just can't seem to apply the same rules of the road to themselves on a bike. Weird.

Whatever...I just found out that my 20-25 mile one way bike commute makes me an "extreme commuter." (I don't know why...but I find that really funny.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they will have to hire a lot more ticket givers
    imho cheers
    butch
    I love bike racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like most things, education is the answer.

Some section of driver's training that says: One day, you won't be able to afford gas, you'll be riding a bike instead, follow the rules of the road.