User Tag List

Thread: Aluminum Frame Work in the northern Catskills, southern ADKs, or upper Hudson Valley?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Aluminum Frame Work in the northern Catskills, southern ADKs, or upper Hudson Valley?

My old aluminum cross sled is serving more of an adventure bike role these days, and I'd like to remedy the fact that it only has a single set of bottle holder braze-ons by finding a framebuilder to look at the frame, and add two more sets if possible.

I'm currently in upstate New York, on the north side of the Catskills. I could certainly pack it up and send it off to Zank or FTW, or even do a long day trip to tote it there in person, but I'd like to find someone closer if possible. I don't need perfection, just someone who can do a better job than Colnago at getting the braze-ons straight.

Any suggestions for someone between, say, Hudson and Syracuse? It looks like Ellis moved to Wisconsin, and Saratoga Frameworks long ago packed up shop. Is there anyone else in the area?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Aluminum Frame Work in the northern Catskills, southern ADKs, or upper Hudson Val

Vicious Cycles in New Paltz? Owned by Carl Schlemowitz. I think he is still building, yes?

Also: Rivnuts

Edit: well, New Paltz isn't between Hudson and Syracuse, so I guess that's not helpful.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Aluminum Frame Work in the northern Catskills, southern ADKs, or upper Hudson Val

therere also king cage universal support bolts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Also: Rivnuts.
    +1, roll your own. Mine are crooked and it bothers me when I really, really look at them. But then again my ears ring so it's never really quiet in my head anyway.

So if you're not up to taking a drill to your own frame, find a good bike shop. Rivnuts aren't brain surgery.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use a laser level that projects a line for getting straight holes.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vicious Cycles in New Paltz? Owned by Carl Schlemowitz. I think he is still building, yes?

Also: Rivnuts

Edit: well, New Paltz isn't between Hudson and Syracuse, so I guess that's not helpful.
    I didn't realize Vicious Cycles was still building in New Paltz. Thanks for the rec, it's not that far.

But, the Rivnut option is interesting. I haven't used them before. On a a scale of 1-10, what are the odds of screwing it up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    But, the Rivnut option is interesting. I haven't used them before. On a a scale of 1-10, what are the odds of screwing it up?
    Water Bottle Fittings | Park Tool

That's a how-to on tightening a loose one with a home-made tool, installing new just adds the complication of drilling the holes, the right size and in the right places.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes -- He was at the Philly Bike Expo this past November.

I just love this photo. @vicious.cycles... - Philly Bike Expo | Facebook