User Tag List

Thread: Aggressive and Angry drivers - Westchester

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Aggressive and Angry drivers - Westchester

I've only been back in Westchester for about a week from London, but each day I have ridden, I have at least once had a driver yell, honk, pass close, basically glare at me for breathing oxygen etc. Even when back here this Spring, I don't remember drivers being this aggressive..... Anyone think this is happening? It just strikes me as a lot of very angry people behind the wheel right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Aggressive and Angry drivers - Westchester

Where in Westchester?

I've been riding a lot of the WCC routes from Katonah and Goldens Bridge and haven't had that experience but, then again, I've mostly been on the dirt/gravel routes where you're more likely to see a horse than cars. Maybe twice in 5 weekends someone has blared their stereo as they passed....and in one instance a young woman yelled at me to stay on the bike path and I wasn't within 15 miles of a bike path!

I think it's the whole NYC area. A lot of inconsiderate people and a lot of distraction by cellphones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was out riding and a random driver waved me to the side of the road.
    He gave me a gift certificate for a new Firefly titanium frame and cardboard box with a new Campagnolo Super Record 12-speed gruppo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was down on the Maryland coast for the past two weeks, and my rides down there all head west of the town of Berlin.

In these places, I can ride for hours and will see very few cars. Like maybe two.

First ride back (Westchester) was today, didn't do the shitty couple miles on 129 to get me to the OCA since it looked like rain.

It is not your imagination.

But it is a combination of the attitudes of drivers around here to be in a rush, not willing to wait, etc. along with the fact that roads like 129 have either non-existent or busted up, overgrown shoulders with no room and dump trucks and 18 wheelers doing 55mph along with cars in both directions.

I know the short stretch of 35 I ride has a big wide shoulder, so as far as being on more of a main road, that makes me feel better.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Where in Westchester?

I've been riding a lot of the WCC routes from Katonah and Goldens Bridge and haven't had that experience but, then again, I've mostly been on the dirt/gravel routes where you're more likely to see a horse than cars. Maybe twice in 5 weekends someone has blared their stereo as they passed....and in one instance a young woman yelled at me to stay on the bike path and I wasn't within 15 miles of a bike path!

I think it's the whole NYC area. A lot of inconsiderate people and a lot of distraction by cellphones.
    Lower westchester mostly. Today really took the cake, I had a verizon van driver yelling at me an a friend driving in the opposite direction past Iona Prep. Go figure.

These are roads I have ridden off and on for 15 yrs..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed an uptick in yelling motorists, though not just Westchester. It's becoming a think in Nassau and Suffolk. My theory is that cyclist deaths have been in the news lately and this is motorists' way of saying 'get off the road, you don't belong here."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Lower westchester mostly. Today really took the cake, I had a verizon van driver yelling at me an a friend driving in the opposite direction past Iona Prep. Go figure.

These are roads I have ridden off and on for 15 yrs..
    Call the company and complain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I am driving north from the city up to Hillsdale on the Taconic, I grit my teeth until I reach I-84 where the last of the raging assholes peel off and all I have to worry about are suicidal deer.

So I think they victimize nearly everyone within their reach. Eventually a divine dragon with a flaming mane (more of a hamster of fire really) and very sharp teeth will fly down from the heavens and smite them verily and there will be much rejoicing.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure the root of all this evil in suburban areas is the Audi Q7:) Was in the ATL a few weeks ago and I can't begin to tell you the number of them that I saw driving the express lane til the last possible moment, randomly apply brake, right blinker, blindly go across several lanes of traffic to exit where they wanted to alight. Merging and exit lanes are for other people I suppose, not to mention that they were the only person in the vehicle ...in the express lane. People

This was in a car, so I can't imagine what riding there on the road is like. Was glad to get back to my little burg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it a thing to ride on the shoulder ? Don't you pick up flats because of that ? I've always been avoiding shoulders because this is where all the broken glass and tires / car parts remains are being swept to.

Looks to me like all badly behaving driver on company vehicules should be reported. Keep their registration plate.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:38 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think in the UK, Brexit and elsewhere the general heightening of the political tone has a lot of folks on edge. Add the nasty heat and nerves fray...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“I don’t understand why anyone goes to all the trouble of running for President of the United States to tell us what we can’t do and shouldn’t fight for.”
    Elizabeth Warren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a mountain bike and ride at graham hills with me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall, I don’t think Westchester is any better or worse than most suburban areas I’ve ridden in – Boston, Philly, LA, New Jersey and N. Carolina. In my 10+ years of riding in Westchester, I have noticed certain patterns of driver aggression:
    Evening commute is a bad time, since everyone has get-home-itis and you’re just something else in the way. Weekends between 10 am to 4 pm generally suck because everyone is cramming in errands they could not get to during the week. In general, after the first frost, driver aggression seems to decline. Not sure why. I suspect cyclists become more of a novelty once it gets cold. Finally, we are also to blame. I have seen pelotons riding two abreast on Route 9 – a sure way to raise the ire of drivers. If you’re gonna ride two abreast, join me at 5 a.m. while the nuts are mostly still in bed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Distracted driving aside, I think that angry people will look for any outlet for that anger that will allow them to remain anonymous, and the relatively anonymous nature of being on the road provides that outlet. Pair that with an increase in anger and stress and it's a recipe for disaster. People are letting their animal instincts get the better of them when they should really be going to therapy.

It doesn't make me any more willing to ride on the road, which I really only do for commuting purposes these days. SF is a minefield.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by verbs4us View Post
    Overall, I don’t think Westchester is any better or worse than most suburban areas I’ve ridden in – Boston, Philly, LA, New Jersey and N. Carolina. In my 10+ years of riding in Westchester, I have noticed certain patterns of driver aggression:
    Evening commute is a bad time, since everyone has get-home-itis and you’re just something else in the way. Weekends between 10 am to 4 pm generally suck because everyone is cramming in errands they could not get to during the week. In general, after the first frost, driver aggression seems to decline. Not sure why. I suspect cyclists become more of a novelty once it gets cold. Finally, we are also to blame. I have seen pelotons riding two abreast on Route 9 – a sure way to raise the ire of drivers. If you’re gonna ride two abreast, join me at 5 a.m. while the nuts are mostly still in bed.
    Riding two abreast is proper behavior and makes it easier for motorists to pass. Some morons might get angry about it, but that's not a reason to stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westchester has gotten too crowded. I was born and raised in Westchester. Still live in White Plains. My mother was born and raised in Westchester. The past few years when I would drive my mother around she would always say, too many people here, too crowded, we should move. I have friends who live up by Albany, NY. They always tell me to move. I ride at SUNY Purchase--yes it can get boring-- the plus side I don't have to deal with the soccer moms on their phones.

Jorn, you have guts driving the lower Taconic. I have not been below 84 on the Taconic in many years.

Bob M.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife reminds me that the population of the USA has doubled since we were born. Yep, too many people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongobob View Post
    Westchester has gotten too crowded. I was born and raised in Westchester. Still live in White Plains. My mother was born and raised in Westchester. The past few years when I would drive my mother around she would always say, too many people here, too crowded, we should move. I have friends who live up by Albany, NY. They always tell me to move. I ride at SUNY Purchase--yes it can get boring-- the plus side I don't have to deal with the soccer moms on their phones.

Jorn, you have guts driving the lower Taconic. I have not been below 84 on the Taconic in many years.

Bob M.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
    My wife reminds me that the population of the USA has doubled since we were born. Yep, too many people!
    Yeah, but they are all in the major metro areas where the people and the culture and the opportunities are. The population of most places in the sticks is growing much slower, or even shrinking.