Thread: Age

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Age

I'm 65 years old.

I'm curious if there's other 65 year olds (or thereabouts) on VSalon and what your riding is like.

I typically ride the Crumpton road bike; I have a mountain bike (no gravel bike) but rarely ride it.

I don't ride as much as I used to, getting out usually 2x/week, 40-45 miles/ride, 17.5 mph average speed.

What about you?
    Riding with a live hornet in your mouth is not advised.:eek:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Age

Is 61 close?
    I've been picking up my riding the past 2 years.
    I'm trying to ride 5 days/week. Most of my weekday rides are 1.5 - 2 hours after work, sometimes at night with lights, covering 25-35 miles. Weekend rides are 50 -100 miles. Sometimes I ride shorter and slower if I'm with my daughter or wife.

Health issues have been a problem as I've gotten older. I've had leg injuries - achilles tendon rupture, quad tendon rupture, and a chronic ACL tear that have slowed me down. Meniere's disease messes up my ability to ride when vertigo hits. Because of hearing loss (mostly voice speech comprehension), I'm not good at conversation while riding, so I do almost all of my riding by myself or family.

But I still like to ride, and hope to keep it up until I'm gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not 65 yet but my Medicare coverage begins the day after tomorrow so I'm getting closer than I care to think about, ugh. But I don't feel that old or even close to it so I can't complain.

I ride a Domane SLR 7 Project One and have a FS mountain bike on order to break things up a bit. My rides aren't very long, usually 1-1.5 hours but intense (for me) since pretty much every ride includes a Cat 2 climb. And I ride every day unless it it raining. Up to 125 days in a row now.

So far this year:

Total Distance - 2,199.22 Miles
    Total Elevation Gain - 207,543'
    Average Speed - 13.5 mph
    Max Speed - 59.8 mph
    Average HR - 137 bpm
    Calories Burned - 98,032

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning 60 in a couple of weeks. About 5000 miles a year lately, at about 3000 miles YTD 2020. Over last few years, I sequentially stopped time trials (never enjoyed them) and road racing (takes over your whole life just to be fit enough to show up as pack filler). Still racing full seasons of cross as I enjoy the scene and the sport very much. Given that there will be no 2020 season with Covid, I'm not sure I'll have the motivation to restart Cx in 2021. I have been enjoying JRA a lot; less worry about performance and just enjoying the scenery and the smooth ride of a lugged steel beauty. Most local rides now 25 (weekday) to 50 miles (weekend) with 1500 - 2500 vertical feet, noticeably slower (almost a full mph) than I was averaging five years ago at similar effort. More solo riding - partly Covid, partly less tolerance for squirrels and half-wheelers. Definitely need more recovery time and have matured to accept that I need it and not do unpleasant, fatigued rides just because the weather's good. I get to MTB about 10 times a year; hoping to increase that this fall and winter. Health still pretty good - asthma since childhood a non-issue on modern meds. Mild asymptomatic coronary disease as I had myself aggressively screened this past winter. No impediment to performance and likely not to longevity, but it bugs me to know it's there. I think there's a lot of us here in the Salon in our demographic.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 67 years old.
    Am riding about 18 hours a week this year.
    No devices. No heart monitors. No Strava.
    Never had any of these ^ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Average about 10-12 hours per week this summer.
    About 3100 miles YTD.

I also like my 5 mile morning walks but they’re less consistent during cycling season. About to take a break from work and hopefully I can ride more consistently.

I use a GPS as my bike computer and use Strava. I like the mapping function and comparing myself to myself. No HRM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73......4 days a week, 80-100 miles depending on how I feel. Having said that I haven't ridden in the last 3 weeks due to a foot issue(longest time without rides in 5yrs, yeah lucky to live where comfortable riding is possible year round), not even supposed to walk very much, should be good to go in 10-14 days. I'm noticing that without riding my general well being(physical and mental) is down a bit, but I knew that would happen. Still doing daily stretching and light weight routine(light weight, lotsa reps, generally don't lift on days I ride) so thats keeping me more or less sane. I'm a true believer in the "use it or lose it' philosophy, I use it, believe that's what maintains an overall health in body and mind. Looking forward to riding again.
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 62 and for me cycling is part of a three way outdoor activity/play menu that also includes running/fast walking and kayaking. I'm missing weight workouts in the gym, need to be more consistent at doing alternative strength work... I try to do an aerobic workout everyday to keep it fresh and easy on the body by switching between activities. I'm pretty slow at all of them but I no longer give a damn, preferring to work to my own personal goals. A garmin is a key part of the game for me because what gets measured gets paid attention to. It really lets you do high intensity work more safely really knowing what your true effort is, and it also helps me keep the easy days easy.
    Last edited by guido; 08-02-2020 at 07:58 AM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    No devices. No heart monitors. No Strava.
    Never had any of these ^ .
    I'll be 60 next year (already??).

I retired 5 years ago from the Army, and since then I've been upping my mileage every year and last year did 9,060 miles. The most in probably 25 years. In fact, I'm riding more consistently now, than I have since I was in my 20's. So far this year I've ridden 5,500 and shooting for another 9,000 mile year. I ride most days - probably 5 - 6 days a week, doing 35-40 mile pavement only rides with 45-50 milers thrown in when able. I like to push the pace (17 - 20 mph) but also don't use any power meter or heart monitor and don't record any ride data. Not on Strava. I do use a simple Cateye cyclocometer to measure speed and distance, and will be getting something similar for my upcoming Bishop. I have a mid-90's era non-suspended mtn bike that I occasionally ride around for fun. I ride solo 98% of the time.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NorTX-Dave View Post

I retired 5 years ago from the Army, and since then I've been upping my mileage every year and last year did 9,060 miles. The most in probably 25 years. In fact, I'm riding more consistently now, than I have since I was in my 20's. So far this year I've ridden 5,500 and shooting for another 9,000 mile year. <cut>

I’ve always been a time guy, never distance.
    Hours >> miles.
    I ride with others once every 2-3 years.
    And they have to be card-carry cabal members.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I’m late 50’s so on the young edge of the responses here. Always went on time vs. miles. Always listened to the left brain (feelings and perception) to gauge things instead of facts and figures. My right patellar tendon always told me when I needed to back off a tad. Non-cycling activities (family, work, community) limited me to about 8 hours a week so intensity and intervals were always on the menu. No junk miles. Races counted toward the 8 hours.

I’ve had to completely reconstitute what riding is since being diagnosed with an arrhythmia three years ago. It’s taken a good long while. A friend teased me “You don’t even know how to just go for a ride. It’s all PR’s, segments, beating somebody. You don’t even know how to just ride the fucking bike.” He was right.

Part of what I think torched the nerves in my heart was moving away from the right-brain approach and looking too much at the numbers. Children becoming adults put more than 8 hours a week on the table and I put them all on my plate. But at the same intensity. The Strava machine let me “compete” for monthly km and vertical. So instead of silly trophies and medals I got digital badges! And while life let me extinguish one end of the candle I instead put a propane torch to it.

One revelation has been how much I enjoy riding in the woods with a dog. It got me through the early days of the shutdown. Off-road riding was a very difficult adjustment to not trigger the arrhythmia, that kind of wild and instantaneous load variation is a worst-case scenario. The key was not riding with other people (or at least not the strong riders I was used to riding like Fight Club with) but with the dog.

Dogs are smart. People are dumb. But I do miss riding with other people.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 07-31-2020 at 12:08 AM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53, ride about 10000km per year. At something like 5500 for the year. Use GPS and Strava, I love Strava mostly to compare it to myself and go back to rides I have done years ago as well as to keep track of my various bikes mileage. The route planning feature is also very nice. Dropped the HRM a few years ago and do not miss this one bit, I still have a power meter on one bike and pretty much never look at the data. I like to ride with friends and mostly do. I have a hard time to ride solo more than 3 hours, I get bored.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 years old...12/14hours per week..95% solo..still love riding

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 60. ridden about 3800 miles this year, hope to get to 6000. mostly road and 100% solo. I just dont enjoy having to worry about warning people behind me about a pothole or worry about getting too close to the wheel in front of me. But that's just me, no wonder I dont like crits : ) . Have started riding my MTB more in the hopes that it helps with CX. Love the total body workout from MTB.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 here. Try to ride +500 miles/month late spring thru fall, then whatever rest of year. 4k+miles/year. Few centuries thrown in. Most of my rides are solo or with my lovely wife, who rides around 1500 miles a year. Other years I ride with friends fairly often, but not this year. Only device I have on bike is a Cateye computer. Unlike Richie, I ride by miles not hours. All on road bikes, but occasionally over some gravel roads. Have been doing trips to Europe to ride up cols for the last 6 years, but that's on pause this year.
    Play alot of tennis, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    73......4 days a week, 80-100 miles depending on how I feel.
    Just to be clear, this is 80-100 miles a week, not per ride. I also want to say I never take for granted that I'm still able to ride, very grateful for this. Generally, as far as the time vs mileage thing goes, I ride my routes based on how I'm feeling, sometimes I push it, other times not, if I'm out and start feeling like I should stop that's what I do, head back to home. I never really have a bad ride, just getting out on the bike is always good.
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 55.

Last year I rode my record of 10,000+ miles, but my goal is 6,000 per year, with a weekly goal of 100 miles.

I've always measured my rides in miles, I'm slow and it takes how long it takes, I like to travel distances I guess.

Now that I live in Hillsdale it isn't easy to get the 100 miles per week as all rides involve a lot of up hill.

...maybe I should start measuring my rides in climbingnow.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am 68 and up until my heart attack, I was doing about 85 miles a week + or -. I love tracking myself on Strava. I ride with my wife a lot who has always been faster than me but kindly waits for me at the tops of climbs. I won’t give her age but she still gets an occasional QOM on Strave. Over the last few years my wife and I start base training in Trainer Road in mid-December. I do the 3 times a week level and we go through their training plans until we can comfortably ride outside. I have slowed down a little and do not recover after a big ride like I used to. Last year I did ride 68 miles for my 67th birthday. Had planned to do 69 for my 68th but the heart attack got in the way. I have been walking mornings (2 to 3 miles) when I do not have cardiac rehab. I have started riding again 3 times a week, building mileage back up slowly. We do enjoy kayaking and hiking in remote areas and are getting ready to get both kayaks and gravel bikes in the next few months. Up until the pandemic I have been in the pottery studios twice a week in the evenings. That is what I went to school for. I also still work full time, hopping to retire in another year at 69. I am sure there are a few things I have missed.

I do believe if I ever slow down it is all over and I will never get it back!
    Bobby Plotkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    I'm 55.

Last year I rode my record of 10,000+ miles, but my goal is 6,000 per year, with a weekly goal of 100 miles.

I've always measured my rides in miles, I'm slow and it takes how long it takes, I like to travel distances I guess.

Now that I live in Hillsdale it isn't easy to get the 100 miles per week as all rides involve a lot of up hill.

...maybe I should start measuring my rides in climbingnow.

SPP
    Pete...simple cure...switch your Garmin to metric.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e-Ritchie, I have always been a hours guy too. But I used to multiply out 20 miles average pace for a conversion. Now it is prolly closer to 12 or 15 mp on flat rides and way slower on hilly or gravel days. Since I ride prolly 95% of the time alone, who cares.
    I got a heart rate monitor when they first came out. Wore it in a couple road races or crits and got scared when I knew my absolute max heart rate was 228 bpm and I was 220 bpm with half the race to go. I thought I would blow up or something. Then they developed speedo functions that always irritated me cause I liked to average over 20mph on solo training rides so I had a gun to my head to keep it at 20mph. Then I followed cadence and learned I don't like much more than 90 rpms over long time periods.
    Then Greg LeMonde ruined the group ride when he won the tour by 8 seconds using Boone's aero bars. There went the riding in the big group at a steady conversation pace. We had bunches of old roadies turn into triathletes back in the early 80s. Everyone wanted to be on the aerobars and not riding close. New riders bought tribikes and never learned pack manners but were strong horses on the flats. Can't count how many newbies I taught to ride and told them they were riding like a snake.
    In about 1990 I decided I didn't want any of that information any more and got rid of all the monitors. (Never got started on power meters). I just ride as fast and as far (long) as I do. I tried logging hours again for a while but got grumpy when I only got 8-12 hours a week training and I knew I was starting to get fast with 15 plus hours a week training. So now I never write anything down and use the "older I get the faster I was philosophy." Will be 68 in a couple months.
    The only really good news I have for the going older crowd, is that I may still need a new bike. Some of my older bikes have too much seat to bar drop. My position change records from the 60s and 70s show that every couple decades my bar height has moved up a cm. With the aheadset bikes I will need a 0 degree stem or plus stem which looks wrong in my opinion. So that is my Friday rant. Good riding old futs. Hey, anyone want to go in on a Some Old
    DUDE wool jerseys? Then when they pass you or Lord forbid you pass them, they can shake their head and say "Well there goes " Some Old DUDE" on a pretty nice bike.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast