Thread: Age

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Age

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    I used to ride my birthday miles until about ten years ago, it now takes me two days...
    Mike
    made me laugh
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    He did it from the Notch Road parking area at the north gate, so no Furnace Street. That would be horrible.
    Riding up Furnace Street is like riding through a Dickens novel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65, ride two days on, one off.
    4600 miles for this year. Usually a little over 5000 a year but with only one race this year its meant less tapering and more long rides.
    I own a gravel bike, road bike, shitbike for winter in northern Michigan and two mountain bikes.
    Still racing mtn bikes. Just one broken bone from being done with that.
    Keep moving those old bones people.
    LS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 in not too long.

There's the one loop I do commonly because its relatively easy and the time to do it is known so I know that I'll be back and to work on time, so I have the checkpoints and benchmark.

In the past couple of years I've gone from not hitting my times by a few minutes and being annoyed by it to not hitting my times by a few minutes and having no concern. These days there's no sense in being annoyed by anything if I'm riding.

In the past I'd generally be on the bike 14 or 15 hours a week but this year maybe 10 is the average but that's mostly due to work and getting a pretty decent setback because of the radiation treatments. I'm on the way back, though. Picking my spots. We have long warm falls now and winters have generally been rideable so I'm just going to keep going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    My wife just had shingles a third time with an associated staff infection.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings.

I had them once. When my doctor told me she was concerned about the pain, I replied, this is discomfort. Pain is when you have to throw up- as when I fell onto a rock in the woods that bruised my femur.
    First time, it was just an ache with some shooting pains occasionally. The second time it felt like I was getting stabbed in the ribs, I couldn't move and I couldn't breathe. I was also down on my luck at that moment and had no medical insurance or money. My doctor took pity on me and got the Pharma rep to deliver a full course of the shingles medication (not available or even developed the first time I had shingles) to me for free. Now that I think about it, that was some kind of meaningful act on her part. I've never cried in a doctor's office, but I did then. And my life actually turned around shortly thereafter.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im 32, Generally I do about 300 hrs or so, but when i'm off, i'm off. I tend to do shorter training but nightly, building up in hours till fall. This year, i've only done 100 hours. With no CX I havent been super motivated, but also have been prioritizing some other things that should make my life better in the coming years.

I grew up on the bike, and got fully into mountain biking, whether skatepark, dirtjumps, street and downhill when I was a kid. I never started, and also never stopped? After college I got heavy, quick. CX was my answer, and I was hooked, and everythings come from that about 6 years ago? Over the years I slowly just started doing more, and more and more. I also found a limit in there, the big limter being lack of sleep and ive made some reallll good adjustments. Midnight hill repeats were very normal, and I honestly sort of miss it.

Since moving to vermont, my rides are now only really looked at as far as climbing or time.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 here

Lived all over Europe, spent some years in the US...... met TT in DC
    ride most days, sometimes with a shop/cafe group, about 15 mins ride from Box hill the real one,not the Zwift one....talking of which, have been involved in a British cycling Zwift racing league during lockdown. So yeah couldn’t give a rats ass about age.

Cycling still my happy place
    Real World persona : Andy Corso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m 63 and ride about 5K miles per year. I started riding at 14 in CA. My lovely wife rides with me sometimes but mostly I ride solo. Hoping to continue to ride forever...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 67 and have been an avid cyclist (and runner) since the mid-'70s.

My first 'real' road bike was a mid-grade Italian example (Garozzo) I purchased back in 1975 while stationed in Sicily, during my service in the Navy. Rode all over the island after that on delightful roads and really got the bug for that sort of riding, as Sicily was a great place to do so and back then, many other folks of all walks of life did some sort of riding, as well. Simplier times...

My riding continued well afterwards and eventually led to running, after a friend challenged me to a road race (The Peachtree 10K) there in Atlanta, back in '81. Seeing how I was a runner, he didn't think I could switch verb to running easily and thought I couldn't do that race under one hour. Well than - 59 minutes. Ha!

Realizing I enjoyed running as well, I went between the two disciplines through the following years, with MOST of my free time spent cycling, usually six days a week, with running during the colder, winter months, here in Alabama.

Once my first child was born, in the early '90s, my wife and I switched over exclusively to running, so we could both be together, as we were with cycling. The jog-stroller became our enabling, primary tool and we enjoyed many, many hours of running and competing (yes, competing!) with that dang thing! When our second one came along, we simply acquired a double jog-stroller. Great fun. Honestly.

Fast forward to now and I still lean on the running aspect. Four miles, every other day, regardless of weather or situation, and about 40 miles or so a week of road cycling. All literally from my front door. I'm lucky.

Anyway, my current primary ride is a vintage Franken-bike - a Coppi frameset, with a Casati flat-crown fork, Campy Super and Nuovo Record components (my original NR rear derailleur from that Sicilian purchase!) and other assorted, quality, vintage-Italian parts. BTW, I still have that old frameset from that initial steed I bought there in Catania, Sicily! It proudly hangs in my home bike shop, along with an impressive assortment of '70s, '80s and early '90s cycling componentry and interesting paraphernalia. I love all the old, sturdy, and well-made aluminum parts. Color me silly.

Needless to say, running and cycling keeps me young and engaged in life.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345