Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Age

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Age

You old guys are crushing it. I ride four hours a week lolololol - I'm drowning in babies at 35, send help, please thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    You old guys are crushing it. I ride four hours a week lolololol - I'm drowning in babies at 35, send help, please thank you.
    If you're drowning in babies, you apparently have pleasurable recreational activities other than cycling.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 years old. I retired two years ago and am enjoying more cycling since then. While working I tried to ride 3-4 times per week, about 8 hours per week. Since retirement it is more like 4-5 times per week and averaging about 10-12 hours per week. I ride a mix of mtb and road, and I thoroughly enjoy not having to ride in the dark before work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. One thing I notice is I have more time or focus for recovery and that has helped me make some gains in fitness, along with the increased riding. Before, I was squeezing rides in around a busy schedule and the rides were not always optimal, whereas not I can push harder knowing I won't have to show up for work tired.

Bill Bryant
    Santa Cruz, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robot Check

Here's the link, but you're going to have to order them yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, sorry, Part 2--
    I count hours, not miles. I try to do one endurance ride per week and the shorter rides will have some intensity in the mix.
    I don't use Strava or anything similar. My goal is to get to >400 hours per year. That seems to leave me in pretty good fitness. I did one year with ~500 hours and that left me tired (but I was working too.)

Bill Bryant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We used a trailer on our road bikes, taking turns to get the better work out. I was much stronger then. It was amazing how much our daughter could pile into that Burley!
    Bobby Plotkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At some point when I wasn't paying attention, I crossed the threshold of when I was closer to death than I am from birth. It was a moment that did not arrive with a shout or a whisper. I was probably riding my bicycle when it happened. At least I like to think so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I'm 67 years old.
    Am riding about 18 hours a week this year.
    No devices. No heart monitors. No Strava.
    Never had any of these ^ .

Me, either.
    Riding with a live hornet in your mouth is not advised.:eek:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 and ride 4-5 hours a week average. Pretty even split between mountain and road, and mostly solo.
    I’ve had HRMs and apps to track info, but only for the purpose of documenting activity in order to have lower health insurance premiums.
    I gauge fitness by time on regular climbs. My benchmark was 48 minutes door to top in my late thirties. That one takes over 60 min now. I’m not very disciplined with work and family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

62 in a good month. Ride 4-5x /week. No metrics (anymore). 50/50 road / off road. Still working full time.
    Can not imagine dealing with work without exercise.
    People I ride with matter. A lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    If you're drowning in babies, you apparently have pleasurable recreational activities other than cycling.
    Retorts to this comment under consideration:

"Cycling: fun, but not the only game in town."
    "Yes, I go by hours not miles, too."
    "Tandem? We don't need no stinking tandem."
    "Nothing compares to the spring of a good steel frame."
    "I'd rather be biking."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A spring chicken in this thread at 53 -- 54 in a couple of months.

I used to just look at hours and go by feel, like Richard. Starting to use a powermeter in '98 screwed with that -- for a long time I was looking at the numbers on the hard days, and probably doing too much sub-threshold stuff. I was always good about rest, though.

I still use a PM, still ride a lot, but over the last five years I've finally come back to feel -- the numbers are descriptive, not prescriptive. I do a lot of low intensity steady-state, and just a few interval days each month, that Toots has done his best to talk me out of, but I'm a bit stubborn. Go just hard enough just often enough so that some VO2 is still there, but don't bury myself, and I only race a few times each year, and I don't do group rides.

The pandemic led to two purchases -- a Concept 2 rowing erg, and a Concept 2 ski erg. I haven't done a ride longer than 2 hours since April. Stil volume, but different stuff. I've also switched to no longer doing a 1hr super-easy recovery ride on the trainer on my twice-a-week easy days to not touching the bike at all, and doing vinyasa yoga and pilates mat stuff instead.

My L5/S1 was degenerative in my mid-20s, so I have to keep an eye on that. My right shoulder is banged up from crashes. Apart from those, the body is as good as could be expected, I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68. Ride about 10 hours per week. All road. Whatever pace I feel like, which is usually pretty chill. Recovering from rotator cuff surgery, so I'm going to be down for a while.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    68. Ride about 10 hours per week. All road. Whatever pace I feel like, which is usually pretty chill. Recovering from rotator cuff surgery, so I'm going to be down for a while.
    What flavor M&M’s do you like?
    I’ll send a get well gift basket.
    xxoo -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as we all get older we cannot push our hearts as much as we used to. I have not used any devices for a long time. A good friend, 3 years older than me, recently had a heart attack after a gym session and a cycle home. He is fit but must have pushed it too hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be 76 this year, past years average 5-6k, lowest was about 3k when I had sequential knee replacements. Just relocated from California to northern Wisconsin and the buying, selling, moving, adjusting has slowed my riding, but I am getting back into a grove and riding 3-4 times a week, 12 or so hours. In California, I used to ride once a week with a friend but all my rides now are solo. Northern California riding offered lots of climbing opportunities, which I enjoy, but Northwoods Wisconsin riding offers mostly rollers: a 35 mile ride here gets me about 1400-1500 feet of elevation gain. However, the winds here are higher and more consistent so any ride usually expends some effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 years old (yesterday, in fact).

10K-12K miles per year for the last 20 - OK, full disclosure, 9680 one year.

Currently enjoying a herniated disc at the S1 with surgery looming so I just finished my lowest mileage (or hours for those folks who don't do that) June/July in 35 years. Relegated to easy spinning on a trainer which has the advantage that if I start to hurt I can get off without having to figure out how to get home.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    ......Recovering from rotator cuff surgery, so I'm going to be down for a while.
    Do yourself a big favor, do not try to short cut your rehab. I had rotator ops on both shoulders(at 60yrs and 64yrs old) by a renowned ortho guy, he said recovery is about 15% a month so about 7 months to be pretty much as good as you will be. Didn't follow his directions(did everything right until that one incident) and around 5.5 months into the second recovery I partially tore the cuff, just decided to live with it, not too bad now but not what it could have been. Do the rehab exercises exactly as directed, don't push past what's prescribed, don't slack off. OK, that's it from me, not trying to be a "know it all", just some friendly advice.

hope all goes well, Brian
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

68 yrs.
    About 30ish miles almost daily in the drier months.
    No electronics on the bike.
    Fixed gear with the exception of a longer outing or a trip to the mountains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm 69, ride 3x per week for a total around 125 miles. i've loved cycling for a long time but in the last few months went from 193 to 178 pounds. the weight loss has made cycling enjoyable in a way i have not felt before. still not a great lover of climbing but losing the weight makes both going fast and going up way more fun. and that new found enjoyment is a great motivator to keep paying attention to food, or should i say less food.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast