Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9000 Brake Housing ends not fitting in Zanconato bosses

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 9000 Brake Housing ends not fitting in Zanconato bosses

So I'm trying to build up the Zanc I picked up a while back and the new DA 9000 tongued brake housing caps arent fitting into the bosses on the frame. Any suggestions? Tried prying the bosses apart but that only resulted in paint being chewed off...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 9000 Brake Housing ends not fitting in Zanconato bosses

Quote Originally Posted by big boom View Post
    So I'm trying to build up the Zanc I picked up a while back and the new DA 9000 tongued brake housing caps arent fitting into the bosses on the frame. Any suggestions? Tried prying the bosses apart but that only resulted in paint being chewed off...
    I'd suggest omitting the brake ferrel ... the frame boss acts as a ferrel. For example, Campy does not even supply ferrels with the cable kit. Probably the thickness of the paint has made the I.D. a bit smaller then the O.D of the brake ferrel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do those ferrules even have that tongue on them? Is the coating really that fragile that the cable end ferrules have to be immobile? I installed a set of cables & housing with those things included and just replaced them with Jagwire ferrules and so far no spontaneous combustion or other calamities. You can always take a piece of brake liner, splay the end with heat and run that through a ferrule to protect the cable coating. The splayed end will keep it put in the ferrule.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried prying the bosses apart but that only resulted in paint being chewed off...
    EGADS!!!

omit the "tongued" ones and use a normal type for brake housing. it will fit and work fine.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    EGADS!!!

omit the "tongued" ones and use a normal type for brake housing. it will fit and work fine.
    Yeah...not the smartest move on my part but it's barely noticeable. (i am embarassed to admit it)

But from what I'm hearing the toungue isnt all that important so I'm just going to omit and use the old tongueless cap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah...not the smartest move on my part but it's barely noticeable. (i am embarassed to admit it)

But from what I'm hearing the toungue isnt all that important so I'm just going to omit and use the old tongueless cap.
    Talk about embarrassed, I don't even know how to spell ferrules (blushing).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the problem is not the ferrules.

Take a 6.0 and a 6.5mm drill bits, see if the 6.0 -by the part opposite the tip- would easily go inside the cable stop. The 6.5 may not go unless forced.
    We start from there
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    I'd suggest omitting the brake ferrel ... the frame boss acts as a ferrel. For example, Campy does not even supply ferrels with the cable kit. Probably the thickness of the paint has made the I.D. a bit smaller then the O.D of the brake ferrel.
    Gordon is on to something. The paint is probably so thick that the ferrules are not necessary.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pay $250 for a "pro build"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Those ferrule extensions are noses, not tongues.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    Omitting a part is not a solution to a problem, indeed is the sign that something needs to be checked.

The Campagnolo thing is a red herring, in the Ergopower cable kit there are no cable-crimps supplied, and does that mean one should not fit the crimps at the end of a cut gear/brake wire?
    In my books, a bike build done without cable ferrules is a shoddy job, sorry to be blunt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

respectfully, in this case, those DuraAce ferrules are not compatible with all cable stops. the fit the most basic generic split stop and thats about it.

edit, i just realized you are talking about omitting altogether. sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    Omitting a part is not a solution to a problem, indeed is the sign that something needs to be checked.

The Campagnolo thing is a red herring, in the Ergopower cable kit there are no cable-crimps supplied, and does that mean one should not fit the crimps at the end of a cut gear/brake wire?
    In my books, a bike build done without cable ferrules is a shoddy job, sorry to be blunt.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always "mess" with the cheapest part. And that is not the frame in this case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    respectfully, in this case, those DuraAce ferrules are not compatible with all cable stops. the fit the most basic generic split stop and thats about it.

edit, i just realized you are talking about omitting altogether. sorry.
    TBH, I don't see anything wrong in the std "stamped metal" brake ferrules.
    The "nosed" ones, I'm not sure they actually give any advantage, in fact mostly I do not use them

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nosed ferrules are nice if you slide a piece of liner over each nose, between cable stops. Makes an almost sealed system and lasts a real long time. TH
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They wouldn't fit in my custom frame either. Mine had Paragon stops, perhaps Mike uses the same ones. Although the DA ferrules are big, the Paragon stops have essentially zero allowance for paint build up and I've run into this problem every time I've used those cable stops on a frame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The nosed gear and brake cable ends on 9000 and 6800 cable sets are there to stop that annoying cable fuzz where the cable slides and rubs on the end of the ferrules. They work but are exactly necessary. Those inner cables are ridiculously expensive, a 9000 inner gear cable costs $XX+tax WHOLESALE for 1 cable in Oz, no outer, great value.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 09-26-2014 at 08:28 PM.
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post

I totally agree and do not advocate short cuts. But the pargon titanium cable stops on my TI hampsten basically had built in ferrules so adding another seemed unnecessarily redundant. My point was more to the effect of it's probably a case by case basis.

A split style braze on cable boss... Ferrules absolutely!! Pargon Ti down tube bosses ... I'm not so sure it's necessary ...

Take away, contact the frame builder when in doubt!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick update...sounds like I'm not the only one with this issue with the DA9000 ferrules but the 6800 ones I didnt use on my Rove actually fit. So it seems like the 9000 ones are a touch bigger, so I'm using those.

Also in the s-tec install video Shimano does call them tongues...not noses. Not trying to be an ass but thats what they are!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by progetto View Post
    The nosed gear and brake cable ends on 9000 and 6800 cable sets are there to stop that annoying cable fuzz where the cable slides and rubs on the end of the ferrules. They work but are exactly necessary. Those inner cables are ridiculously expensive, a 9000 inner gear cable costs $XX+tax WHOLESALE for 1 cable in Oz, no outer, great value.
    I know what the point is, and it makes sense (9000/6800 inner wire = £17.00...), but the anti-friction coating will peele off anyway at some point, and bad frame execution should be spotted and fixed -if possibile- during the build. Tight cable stops which are not aligned are unacceptable

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post
    They wouldn't fit in my custom frame either. Mine had Paragon stops, perhaps Mike uses the same ones. Although the DA ferrules are big, the Paragon stops have essentially zero allowance for paint build up and I've run into this problem every time I've used those cable stops on a frame.
    Yes, and it would ben ice to have a standard and not 20% differnce in ID of the cable stops...

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Nosed ferrules are nice if you slide a piece of liner over each nose, between cable stops. Makes an almost sealed system and lasts a real long time. TH
    It could be very nice, but all the plastic sleeves I know are either Polyolefin, which is nice and soft and silent, but does never stays straight and looks awful. Or you can use PVC sleeve, which stays nice straight BUT is very noisy against the frame, as the brake wire stays pretty close to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast