Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 4 years to get fit

Probably a mid life crisis happening here.

I'm 46, overweight, type 1 diabetes and a bad back.

Realising that I'm 50 in 4 years and realising how much I miss riding bicycles I've given myself 4 years to get in shape. By in shape I mean actually fit, excellent core condition and fit enough to rock up to the regional CX races and have a good go.

I'm starting the thread to help me build the habits needed, and hopefully to motivate others who might be in similar situations.

I'm 86.6kg today and am working on getting a whole bunch of zone 2ish efforts under my belt (no power meter and only a fitbit for now)

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 4 years to get fit

Congratulations on the start and the commitment. You'll likely be able to do it faster than that. I started from a worse place health and lifestyle-wise in 1992 and was healthy in about 9 months and super-fit in 15. I've pretty much held onto it for 28 years and every aspect of my life has been better - career, relationships, general happiness. There is so much more knowledge and adjuncts (fitness monitors, etc). now to help also. It's not a mid-life crisis - the crisis comes if you don't do it. Think of it as a mid-life awakening. Very cool. All the best.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for you. I am not certified in anything, but have lots of experience training if that counts for anything, and I am 46. Like most macro training plans, I think you build in phases. I think the first phase you should focus on zone 2 on the bike, find someone to help you put together a strength program, and losing weight. Establishing these things at the base will help you in the long run (once you are lean and strong, it is much easier to get fast (if fit to you = fast)).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I turned 36 I told myself if I feel this bad now I will want to be dead when I am fifty. Constant pain from a bad back. I could do five minutes on an ergometer. At 21 I was riding 350 miles a week. Now 64, I am recovering from a loss of mojo over a period of years that saw me spend too much time working and too little riding. My life is back in balance now, riding six days a week.

Take it a day at a time.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say split the goals into smaller ones. And don't put yourself unrealisable ones. Unless you were into bodybuilding your on form weight of your late 40's should not be the same as in your 20's because you probably build muscle in your upper boddy. It is easy to do a diet and lose some weight in a few months, much harder to get and maintain good habits in the long run. I think working with a nutrionist (which understand sports) is a good idea. A trainer / training program is however unnecessary as long as your goal is just to be fit and have a good time. Just make sure you don't overtrain and keep off days every week. Regularity is more important than sheer volume. Oh and putting limits on things is nice but total abstinence of all sort might not be a good thing if it makes you lose any pleasure. For example banning all alcohol might not be a good idea if you like your social time around a beer. Just decide there is a time for it for example allows it only during the week-end and with a maximum limit. Same with other pleasures (chocolate, fried things, ...). Me and my partner have sealed a deal to only drink alcohol and eat ice creams during week-ends and festive days. Our body agree, and we actually realize we feel less guilty, enjoy some of these simple pleasures much better both because of the wait and the fact we focus on better products.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 12-06-2020 at 10:18 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, the big tips I would have are be realistic on how much time a week you have for training and exercise, set small and realistic short term goals, and focus on building healthy habits. it only takes a few months of dedicated training to see remarkable changes in your general fitness level but it will take a lot of time and dedication to go through a body transformation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I should clarify a little, I'm 185cm and 87kg my scales say 25% fat which is probably somewhere near right. I'd like to reduce fat around the middle and I think by just watching what I eat a little that should be doable.

Short term goal is simply to build good daily habits around training, stretching and nutrition. If I can do 6 days a week and gradually increase my base volume over the course of some months I'll have achieved. If I can maintain that habit I'll be over the moon.

Really building a base over winter seeing how I am on a bike after that and getting some decent rides in either alone or with the local clubs will do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilates Series of 5. Good morning routine - assuming OK from Dr. on any back issues. This instructor does a good job with a calm manner and easy to follow instructions. But watch how her shoulders are held off the floor, her stomach is pan flat & parallel to her spine from the bottom edges of the shoulder blades down through the pelvis with hips neutral. She’s good at this. Better to have an actual instructor who can help with form and focus on specific areas, but covid makes that tough. So watch the video, double check the exercises with your back doctor and if ok, give it a go. Better core strength will reduce stress everywhere else.

Last edited by j44ke; 12-06-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iím 47 and a type 1 also. Get in control of your BSL by doing the same stuff every day. I weigh most of what I eat now. I also ride pretty much every day. Having a routine makes the bsl easier to control and stops you having to chase hypo with food. See a dietician - they will work with you to make sure you insulting is correct. Cutting volume of food meant a real reduction in quantum of insulin for me - about a 2/3rds reduction. Itís been shown that itíll have better long term impacts overall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got out of cycling for several years and had a shock to learn that decades of fitness can in fact evaporate. I found my love for cycling again.

I can't add much to the advice already given but a few things worked well for me.

1. Have fun. Thinking "I'm going to pedal out to ____ and stop at that great coffee shop" is more motivating than "I really need to get my workout in. Gotta get that 40 miles done."

2. Take pleasure in the gains. I'm not going to rip up a big climb at 400 watts. But I can mentally tag a climb and see on Strava that I did it at a certain speed or wattage in the spring and the numbers were better in June. I'm not talking about going for PRs constantly. I mean simply taking pleasure that swinging a leg over the saddle and getting out actually results in improvements even for an older guy. I take pleasure just knowing that I can go up a climb at 175 bpm and not keel over. Take that, father time.

3. Young racers pass me on a regular basis. Oh well. If it's flat I can hang on a wheel at any speed and I'll call it a victory. But I do take a bit of pleasure passing young guys when I can.

4. I often read articles in the major media that make exercising sound like a losing race against time, that humans lose X% of muscle mass every decade, that max heartrate reduces, take it easy, get a doctor's exam before walking up a hill, etc. Bullshit. Older cycling enthusiasts are at the pointy end of the bell curve and we like being there.

5. Exercise is the only fountain of youth we get.

6. Any time exercising is more beneficial than time on the couch. Sounds glib but literally true. I only have time to walk around the block? Good, I have time to walk around the block. Do it.

_

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, I don't think it will take you 4 years. I'd bet 6 months-1 year and you can be happy with where you are. I have nothing on the diabetes, but I did the turn around after grad school, kids, family health, etc. that had me fat and slow. For me, it's a combination of things, but running/hiking is as important as anything else. I have a Garmin 935 on my wrist that I like tracking things with, but it's not necessary. I try to make sure I get out 5-7 days/week, and some of those days are runs or hikes (swimming post-covid). It's prioritizing movement each and every day. I have to agree with folks saying don't worry about diet. Caloric intake is ~75% of being thin, but if you hate life trying to focus on your diet, you'll burn out.

The fitness seems to come pretty quick, but I have to watch getting discouraged when I'm fit for 3-5 hour rides or 6-10 mile runs, and I only have an hour for a workout. I get fit, then say "screw it" when commitments keep me from long days. I was falling into the, "I don't even have enough time to ride" mental trap this fall. Trail running and TrainerRoad are really helping preventing my normal fall off.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    Probably a mid life crisis happening here.

I'm 46, overweight, ... I'm 86.6kg today
    Elsewhere you've said you are 185 cm.

86.6 kg is not much overweight in my book: I'm also 185 tall and 85 kg is my ideal weight for XC skiing, at that level I'm well under 15% fat.

I guess I'm saying don't worry about the weight itself, just work on converting it to muscle mass. You'll end up fit and strong and feeling good about yourself.
    Mark Kelly

maker@lyrebirdcycles.com

lyrebirdcycles.com

The world is analogue, digital is a facsimile therof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are all wonderful people.

My insulin needs have reduced massively in the last 2 weeks (I'm always very sensitive to lifestyle, diet or weight changes). 40 units of Basal insulin a day is reduced to 32. I wake up at a constant mid 5s (90s for the mg/dl folk) and basically stay there all day.

I used overweight as a polite way of saying fat. I'm not obese but am definitely not as skinny round the middle as I'd like. I'm always very wary of writing about this stuff in detail as it always sounds like an eating disorder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    You are all wonderful people.

My insulin needs have reduced massively in the last 2 weeks (I'm always very sensitive to lifestyle, diet or weight changes). 40 units of Basal insulin a day is reduced to 32. I wake up at a constant mid 5s (90s for the mg/dl folk) and basically stay there all day.

I used overweight as a polite way of saying fat. I'm not obese but am definitely not as skinny round the middle as I'd like. I'm always very wary of writing about this stuff in detail as it always sounds like an eating disorder.
    I hear you. I am a stick but started getting doughy around the middle which is not attractive on a stick. Not a vain man by any stretch, just being honest here. Pilates helped with strength but was reducing the doughy growth only very slowly. Then we moved to the country and I started sawing, chopping and digging on a daily basis. That did it. Last hole on the belt again.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A year ago, I figured out that I had to spend less time on the bike to finish up grad school while working full time. I was riding the trainer and doing some group classes with kettlebells and lots of stretching. Then something was wrong and the Rheumatologist said it was Lupus, which is unusual in men. I take 400mg of Plaquenil a day and deal with the ups and downs of the condition. I'm riding the trainer and taking longer walks, averaging >10K steps a day. A lot of things that are wrong with me would improve with less of me, so diet is a focus. My bloodwork showed an M-spike so I see an Oncologist on Wednesday. I heard the C word helps with weight loss.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A triple triangle dose of good thoughts to you, bigbill, and all of you ...

Working from home is causing me to ride less without the commute, and walk less without my twice-daily coffee and contemplation escapes from the desk. I'm working to bring both of those habits back. Even a little bit at a time encourages me toward more.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I heard the C word helps with weight loss.
    I wish.

I had a chunk of bowel removed eight years ago (Class B adenocarcinoma). As part of the recovery they put me on a special weight gain diet.

It worked.

Although that didn't help, long term my problem is really the booze: a bit of an occupational hazard.

Bill: if it is the bad crab, I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery.
    Mark Kelly

maker@lyrebirdcycles.com

lyrebirdcycles.com

The world is analogue, digital is a facsimile therof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@bigbill Hope that you are able to ride those Lupus waves AND get end up with good news n not C.
    @AntLockyer congrats on kicking this off and working on new goals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    This is my downfall - and I'm probably worse now I'm full-time work from home with no intent of that changing. Any tips for someone with awful willpower most welcome!
    One method is to not have it in the house. If it isnít there to eat, you canít eat it. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a good couple of weeks.
    Screenshot_20201212-090901_MyFitnessPal.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast