Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4 years to get fit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 4 years to get fit

Probably a mid life crisis happening here.

I'm 46, overweight, type 1 diabetes and a bad back.

Realising that I'm 50 in 4 years and realising how much I miss riding bicycles I've given myself 4 years to get in shape. By in shape I mean actually fit, excellent core condition and fit enough to rock up to the regional CX races and have a good go.

I'm starting the thread to help me build the habits needed, and hopefully to motivate others who might be in similar situations.

I'm 86.6kg today and am working on getting a whole bunch of zone 2ish efforts under my belt (no power meter and only a fitbit for now)

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 4 years to get fit

Congratulations on the start and the commitment. You'll likely be able to do it faster than that. I started from a worse place health and lifestyle-wise in 1992 and was healthy in about 9 months and super-fit in 15. I've pretty much held onto it for 28 years and every aspect of my life has been better - career, relationships, general happiness. There is so much more knowledge and adjuncts (fitness monitors, etc). now to help also. It's not a mid-life crisis - the crisis comes if you don't do it. Think of it as a mid-life awakening. Very cool. All the best.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for you. I am not certified in anything, but have lots of experience training if that counts for anything, and I am 46. Like most macro training plans, I think you build in phases. I think the first phase you should focus on zone 2 on the bike, find someone to help you put together a strength program, and losing weight. Establishing these things at the base will help you in the long run (once you are lean and strong, it is much easier to get fast (if fit to you = fast)).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I turned 36 I told myself if I feel this bad now I will want to be dead when I am fifty. Constant pain from a bad back. I could do five minutes on an ergometer. At 21 I was riding 350 miles a week. Now 64, I am recovering from a loss of mojo over a period of years that saw me spend too much time working and too little riding. My life is back in balance now, riding six days a week.

Take it a day at a time.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say split the goals into smaller ones. And don't put yourself unrealisable ones. Unless you were into bodybuilding your on form weight of your late 40's should not be the same as in your 20's because you probably build muscle in your upper boddy. It is easy to do a diet and lose some weight in a few months, much harder to get and maintain good habits in the long run. I think working with a nutrionist (which understand sports) is a good idea. A trainer / training program is however unnecessary as long as your goal is just to be fit and have a good time. Just make sure you don't overtrain and keep off days every week. Regularity is more important than sheer volume. Oh and putting limits on things is nice but total abstinence of all sort might not be a good thing if it makes you lose any pleasure. For example banning all alcohol might not be a good idea if you like your social time around a beer. Just decide there is a time for it for example allows it only during the week-end and with a maximum limit. Same with other pleasures (chocolate, fried things, ...). Me and my partner have sealed a deal to only drink alcohol and eat ice creams during week-ends and festive days. Our body agree, and we actually realize we feel less guilty, enjoy some of these simple pleasures much better both because of the wait and the fact we focus on better products.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 12-06-2020 at 10:18 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, the big tips I would have are be realistic on how much time a week you have for training and exercise, set small and realistic short term goals, and focus on building healthy habits. it only takes a few months of dedicated training to see remarkable changes in your general fitness level but it will take a lot of time and dedication to go through a body transformation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're going to surprise yourself. Make sure you catch yourself doing things right more often than you scold yourself for missing a goal or not getting to your goal fast enough. Have fun with the proceess.
    DJ Boyd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. I should clarify a little, I'm 185cm and 87kg my scales say 25% fat which is probably somewhere near right. I'd like to reduce fat around the middle and I think by just watching what I eat a little that should be doable.

Short term goal is simply to build good daily habits around training, stretching and nutrition. If I can do 6 days a week and gradually increase my base volume over the course of some months I'll have achieved. If I can maintain that habit I'll be over the moon.

Really building a base over winter seeing how I am on a bike after that and getting some decent rides in either alone or with the local clubs will do the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another entry in the free advice column - don't "diet" to lose weight as you do all of this. By "diet" I mean some type of calorie restriction program or overly restricting certain foods.

1. Your numbers (height/weight) are not way off.
    2. You don't need to pile on too many behavior changes at once.
    3. If you start on a cycling and strength plan, your weight will take care of its self over the next several months.

Usually where people fall of the wagon is related to some diet that they are trying to follow. Riding is fun. Strength training can be fun or at least enjoyable. Dieting is general just a big will power struggle (not fun).
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Four years?

Six months !!!!

Take serious control like your life depended on it !!!

I have a little experience re-building one's life, I'm doing it again right now

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 12-06-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good choice to be healthy! Enjoy the journey. My only advice try to develop good sleep habits. When sleeping we recover and make gains. Comfortable bed, linens, and consistency. I will leave diet to those that know more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason you have a good chance to achieve this goal is the fact that you acknowledge what you want to work on and have a realistic timeline. I am a little older than you and also struggle with some chronic health issues. Breaking my collarbone earlier this year and being off the bike for 2 months caused some reflection. For me this has drove me to decide to end my racing career. I'll refocus my mental energy on enjoying riding, social group rides and an occasional Fondo where I don't give a F about my time. I still will train like a racer because it gets me fit, but now fitness is the goal not the outcome of fitness. Hope that makes sense.

My only advice is to be realistic about your racing goals and accept that if you don't podium in your age group that it was all still worth it. The journey is the reward in my opinion.
    My real name is Hemanth and among other things, I like bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The timeline to aerobic or traditional physical fitness is something I'd have no issue with 6 months, the being able to sit on a bike, with little to no pain I cannot see happening that quickly. I'd love to be wrong though and will be trying my best. Another thing about the timeline is I am an obsessive and have a habit of all or nothing. My turbo trainer is sat next to me and it is all I can do to stop myself getting on it and doing another effort.

Part of the reason I stopped riding as much was my position on the bike and issues I had after being fitted twice. I'd been put on a very high saddle height to open up the hip angle and I think that had caused all sorts of problems. I'm approaching this from the start, adjusting by feel and listening to my body, at some point I hope to be in a position to listen to someone else I can trust but I need to find that person first.

Steve, I've been following your road to recovery, glad you can get out now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two parts to this. The physical has been covered well, workout 6+ times a week for the rest of your life. It's not optional.

The second is diet. Stop eating junk. Eat a high percentage of vegies and fruits. Eat 1/2 to 1/3 less than what you eat now. This is also not optional.

Yes it is hard, but you can do it, and it is very much worth the effort.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    Another thing about the timeline is I am an obsessive and have a habit of all or nothing. My turbo trainer is sat next to me and it is all I can do to stop myself getting on it and doing another effort.
    You'll do well to get it in your head that not every workout needs to be as hard as possible. Yeah, sometimes you need to break yourself into tiny pieces but more isn't always better. Training works but you need to give yourself time to recover from the stress you put on your body in order to actually see improvement.

I'd recommend hiring a coach or at least getting a training plan. It'll help keep you accountable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, I was watching my HR today staying safely around zone 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a 5 minute planking workout for your low back daily.
    Diet and discipline is big.
    Dare I say , use a trainer to get in 30 minutes here and there.
    Don,t be too hard on yourself, racing results don,t matter .
    Dealing with a full on case of covid here, and only having one risk factor (age) makes a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trainer is going to be the main riding for the next couple of months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilates Series of 5. Good morning routine - assuming OK from Dr. on any back issues. This instructor does a good job with a calm manner and easy to follow instructions. But watch how her shoulders are held off the floor, her stomach is pan flat & parallel to her spine from the bottom edges of the shoulder blades down through the pelvis with hips neutral. She’s good at this. Better to have an actual instructor who can help with form and focus on specific areas, but covid makes that tough. So watch the video, double check the exercises with your back doctor and if ok, give it a go. Better core strength will reduce stress everywhere else.

Last edited by j44ke; 12-06-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m 47 and a type 1 also. Get in control of your BSL by doing the same stuff every day. I weigh most of what I eat now. I also ride pretty much every day. Having a routine makes the bsl easier to control and stops you having to chase hypo with food. See a dietician - they will work with you to make sure you insulting is correct. Cutting volume of food meant a real reduction in quantum of insulin for me - about a 2/3rds reduction. It’s been shown that it’ll have better long term impacts overall.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast