Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 3T Rotundo Pro

I need a new 40cm bar and was surprised to discover all the 3T Rotundo's are gone. Is there anything current with a matching shape and 139/83 drop/reach?
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

Check the Fizik snake.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ritchey Classic.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imho the beauty of the Rotundo's is they fell in that sweet-spot between "shallow" and "deep" traditional shaped bars. The Ritchey's and Fizik are both about a full cm less drop and reach is shorter as well.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    I need a new 40cm bar and was surprised to discover all the 3T Rotundo's are gone. Is there anything current with a matching shape and 139/83 drop/reach?
    It's gone. Imagine that. The company once known for its classic round bend bars has discontinued the classic round bar

Also, while the Ritchey is shallower, the Fizik is not (it's at least a medium drop, if not deep drop, at 85 mm reach and 140 mm drop). Other comparable bars include Deda 100 Deep (95 mm reach and 145 mm drop) and FSA Energy (80 mm reach and 150 mm drop)

As an aficionado of the traditional round, I'm somewhat saddened by their disappearance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel your pain. That is a good one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, @ the OP, I know a few places were selling NOS 40 cm 3T Tornova handlebars. Basically the same bend as the aerotundo, but the top section is ovalized (as opposed to round); it's also made of carbon. Might be worth checking out.

I almost bought one myself but in the end bought a Ritchey Streem (with bends comparable to that of the NeoClassic).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Also, @ the OP, I know a few places were selling NOS 40 cm 3T Tornova handlebars. Basically the same bend as the aerotundo, but the top section is ovalized (as opposed to round); it's also made of carbon. Might be worth checking out.

I almost bought one myself but in the end bought a Ritchey Streem (with bends comparable to that of the NeoClassic).
    I've ridden 40 cm 3T Tornovos (aluminum) a lot.
    They are the closest I've found to Cinelli 65s (my favorite).
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if im not mistaken, modern shimano levers are longer than they were in the past. Certainly 6600/7800 era. so maybe it's a wash? (73 reach vs 82 reach). I dunno, i'm all about milimeters, but I would just get ritchey neoclassics. I have them and theyre nice.
    Also, theres a pair of rotundos in carbon for cheap on ebay right now (65-75$), so you can always pick them up that way

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I went through this last year and was pretty frustrated. If you add the requirement of internal routing for di2 wires, it's even worse. I ended up with the fsa energy traditional in alloy which does have a bit more drop @ 150, but I knew I'd prefer that over the ubiquitous 130, and the shape was spot on. And I didn't mind drilling the di2 port (bar end junction box--not full internals). Be careful about the Fizik, which was on my list, as I think it may be shallower in the 40cm width than larger sizes. The Ritchey et al mentioned is shallow drop even though shape is ok.
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

basically, handlebars have been discontinued.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    basically, handlebars have been discontinued.
    He said standing on a rooftop screaming to adoring fans ;)

Mickey, you need a radio show. Seriously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the Deda bars suitable, they’re still my go to brand for traditional shaped handlebars...
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    Are the Deda bars suitable, they’re still my go to brand for traditional shaped handlebars...
    As in Deda Zero? Ohmgosh yes. Nice and round.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    As in Deda Zero? Ohmgosh yes. Nice and round.
    and as far as I know no longer in production, like so many others
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    The Deda Zero 100 Shallow has a 135mm drop and 80 mm reach. I too love the Rotundo and that Deda is the closest thing I've found to the 3T bars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SMOOTH TRANSITION?
    I KNOW I’M YELLLING

Handlebar and brake lever shape was fiiine for 50ish years, and now all usable handlebars have been discontinued. A good bike fit starts with hand placement and wrist angles and those people asking for SMOOTH TRANSITIONS are mystifying to me.

Brake levers are frigging gigantic now, everyone except king kong can fit their entire hand on the levers without even making contact with the handlebar. What the heck are people transitioning FROM? No man’s land between the tops and hoods? I blame fixie fever from the aughts and all the dingleberries who learned how to ride with bullhorns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Deda shallows are done. I have several in my parts bin but I'm moving to 40 C-C bars from 42. My shallows are all 42 except these. I found a rogue bar on eBay a few months back and installed this and put it on my Look. Having not ridden them for a few years it was a bit strange but I got used to it quickly.

The modern version would be the Zero 100 RHM, which is a really nice bar with a varying radius round drop and a nice transition to the bar. Levers are different today and at least Shimano doesn't love the round bars anymore. Campagnolo would probably be fine. The cable routing on this bar leaves the channel at the back empty, creating an odd flat spot on the bar.

The thing about modern bars that nobody seems to think about is that they offer/force the rider into a higher position without spacers under the stem. You gain at least a couple centimeters if that's what one wants.

As to the Rotundo, I tried them for a few years and they left me ambivalent. Medium drop, no cable channels, kind of strange reach, etc.

Other than this throwback Look 585 I'm embracing the Deda RHM bars from here on out. They're really nice.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno. New bars make sense to me. They are the losers in the new design. Levers are the winners. Admittedly most people (including manufacturers & bike shops) set them up badly. So far up the bar they are basically the modern equivalent of flipping the bars and using the accessory levers. And there are plenty of stupid shapes produced just to be different. As long as we insist on cramming motorcycle parts into a bicycle brake lever then a certain amount of bad design is to be expected. Nothing to do with hand shape. That's an after-thought born of necessity mostly. No romance. Hands have jobs to do now. Wrap your fingers around that ratcheting master cylinder and get the bar shape outa the way. Like working in a factory. But at least you are outside.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience,“new bars” make it necessary to run stems that are a cm longer than with dearly departed normal-ass handlebars, even with the longer brake levers. The bike industry doesn’t import enough 150x-25 stems to make up for the fact that it no longer makes handlebars for road bikes, or road bikes with geometry for road riding.

Hood/tops/hooks- that’s where hands go. if you want to put your hands somewhere else, get a goddamned bike fit and go do some planks. A bunch of macaroni shapes connecting that stuff is useless, and the biggest casualty has been the hooks. Surely i am not the only person who DEMANDS the meat of their paw on the drops goes IN the hook? These newfangled bars put the paw meat behind the levers!
    UNUSABLE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast