Thread: 3T Rotundo Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

Quote Originally Posted by coolberto hipsterdor View Post
    Everyone here needs to just calm down and buy ritchey streem carbons. Wrap the tops too. Best of all worlds.
    No full internal routing; also no 38 cm.

Despite all that, I still ended up buying one (in 40 cm). Once upon a time I rode with a 42 cm Rotundo Pro, but it just doesn't feel as comfortable these days...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. I come here for the histrionics and to yell at clouds.
    2. More than 50 percent of the planet has hands smaller than me.
    3. Carbon fiber handlebars that cost multiple hundreds of dollars are even stupider than ergo bend bars.

Maybe common sense is old fashioned?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    1. I come here for the histrionics and to yell at clouds.
    3. Carbon fiber handlebars that cost multiple hundreds of dollars are even stupider than ergo bend bars.

Maybe common sense is old fashioned?
    Agree on carbon bars.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    No full internal routing; also no 38 cm.
    The unicorn bar: narrower than 40cm, classic or round drop, affordable. Deda almost did it with their Shallow, but the narrowest size offered was the 42cm o-o

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    The unicorn bar: narrower than 40cm, classic or round drop, affordable. Deda almost did it with their Shallow, but the narrowest size offered was the 42cm o-o
    That's the one I've got pictured on page 2 of this thread. I got it used a couple months ago but it's in "Like New" condition. Glad I got it but I'm not going to fetishize of these either. The Zero 100 RHM is my new go-to bar and it works very well with Shimano levers. Seems to provide a round drop and a nice place for riding on the hoods. Seems like the best of both worlds. The round ones I've got give a lower position when on the hoods but a less-than-ideal hand position there.

Not shouting at clouds. But if you look at pro bikes look for these exact bars on a number of bikes. I suspect pro teams have hoarded them or get Deda to make limited runs for them.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    That's the one I've got pictured on page 2 of this thread. I got it used a couple months ago but it's in "Like New" condition. Glad I got it but I'm not going to fetishize of these either. The Zero 100 RHM is my new go-to bar and it works very well with Shimano levers. Seems to provide a round drop and a nice place for riding on the hoods. Seems like the best of both worlds. The round ones I've got give a lower position when on the hoods but a less-than-ideal hand position there.

Not shouting at clouds. But if you look at pro bikes look for these exact bars on a number of bikes. I suspect pro teams have hoarded them or get Deda to make limited runs for them.
    Here's the Deda curve variations.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer round shapes but the hand size is a moot point. You are actuating the brake lever with your index and major, not with the pinky. If your hand is in the deepest part of the handlebar it doesn't matter if it is ergo or round as the index is at the closest point to the brake lever

If that is not true, you should learn how to setup your handlebars and levers instead of yelling in all directions like a drunk guy.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-22-2021 at 03:05 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a look at the image posted above you and explain to me how what you wrote makes any sense at all? when your finger is farther from the lever blade, it is farther from the lever blade.

With a round bend with ramp down to the levers, when in the hooks your hand is way, way closer to a brake lever that is set to the same “reach”.

What size glove do you wear?
    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I prefer round shapes but the hand size is a moot point. You are actuating the brake lever with your index and major, not with the pinky. If your hand is in the deepest part of the handlebar it doesn't matter if it is ergo or round as the index is at the closest point to the brake lever

If that is not true, you should learn how to setup your handlebars and levers instead of yelling in all directions like a drunk guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You get an amen from this congregation, brother.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a look at the image posted above you and explain to me how what you wrote makes any sense at all? when your finger is farther from the lever blade, it is farther from the lever blade.
    Your index sit exactly beneath the lever collar so whatever the bend it is in a similar place. Are you braking with your pinky?

Modern levers have an adjustable reach btw and there are dedicated levers for small hands and kids. Shimano are pretty much made for small hands seeing how ergonomically bad they are for larger ones.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-22-2021 at 05:29 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't want to have to get pedantic: but exhibit A is my own bike.
    Bulbous GRX mechanical levers on Deda shallow(AKA italian bend aka 100 bars) with the lever tips up about 2 degrees up from parallel with the flats:
    Untitled by Michael Denoncourt, on Flickr
    3 distinct hand positions, all achievable with the same back angle. It's pretty easy to see from the dirt line on the bars where my hands wrap the bars during technical descending, and the meat of my hand is in-line/a little forward of the band clamp while in the drops. That's the only way you are going to get consistent handlebar feedback between the drops and hooks. My whole FIST fits in the hook with room to spare, my pinky knuckle is fully wrapped on the bar IN FRONT of the band clamp. Probabally the most comfortable setup ever for me. Maintain a neutral anatomical position on the wrist in the hoods and drops is my starting point for all bike fits. For most people a setup that has some "saddle" to rest your hand in results in the most relaxed wrist that will stay relaxed wheter your elbows are almost locked out or dropped far getting low.

Contact points are EVERYTHING, and the bike industry at large is so focused on perpetually selling marginally different stuff to medium sized wealthy white men that they absolutely ignore making products that work for smaller, poorer people and long ago gave up making product design or spec decisions that had anything to do with what is good for the sport of cycling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...Probabally the most comfortable setup ever for me...
    Got it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Got it.
    and what size glove do you wear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently tried to mount Record 12 levers on Ritchey NeoClassic - they simply don't work. Any bars with a "traditional" ramp from the shoulders to the levers are incompatible with new Campagnolo levers - you can't have the levers straight without the levers being too low on the bars... So I swapped out to Ritchey EvoCurve, which are great bars, especially for those of us with big paws (slightly longer in the shoulders than most newer bars). It would be the same with Rotundos, Deda Zero 100s, etc. I think, based on looks, that the Zipp SL-88s would be compatible with the new Campagnolo levers - would like to hear from someone who has tried them though. Basically the new levers require a nearly flat shoulder and ramp to the lever mount - doesn't matter what happens from there though, which is why the Fizik Snake can have flat hooks and ramps. Also, I found the 3T Superleggera bars to be the worst of both worlds - too short in the reach, too deep in the drops..
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and what size glove do you wear?
    Sorry - don't understand the reference.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    I recently tried to mount Record 12 levers on Ritchey NeoClassic - they simply don't work. Any bars with a "traditional" ramp from the shoulders to the levers are incompatible with new Campagnolo levers - you can't have the levers straight without the levers being too low on the bars...
    Not the latest model lever, granted, but the main lever body shape and fitment to the bar hasn't changed on the 12v stuff (only the 'horn' of the lever and the rubber cover has changed); but this is 11v Athena on a Cinelli Giro d'Italia 64 bar, fitting perfectly well - in fact, even a few degrees up from the tip of the lever being level with the flat of the drops (because the bike was really too big and I was trying to shorten the reach without it looking too awful):

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently tried to mount Record 12 levers on Ritchey NeoClassic - they simply don't work. Any bars with a "traditional" ramp from the shoulders to the levers are incompatible with new Campagnolo levers - you can't have the levers straight without the levers being too low on the bars... So I swapped out to Ritchey EvoCurve, which are great bars, especially for those of us with big paws (slightly longer in the shoulders than most newer bars). It would be the same with Rotundos, Deda Zero 100s, etc. I think, based on looks, that the Zipp SL-88s would be compatible with the new Campagnolo levers - would like to hear from someone who has tried them though. Basically the new levers require a nearly flat shoulder and ramp to the lever mount - doesn't matter what happens from there though, which is why the Fizik Snake can have flat hooks and ramps. Also, I found the 3T Superleggera bars to be the worst of both worlds - too short in the reach, too deep in the drops..
    Is this specific to 12 speed Campy? I have 11 speed Chorus on a bike with deda zero 100 shallow bars and they work great. And i've got bikes incoming with campy 12 and would rather know in advance if something changed with the bar compatibility.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Is this specific to 12 speed Campy? I have 11 speed Chorus on a bike with deda zero 100 shallow bars and they work great. And i've got bikes incoming with campy 12 and would rather know in advance if something changed with the bar compatibility.
    If you can make the 11v levers work, the 12v will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    If you can make the 11v levers work, the 12v will be fine.
    Not true. 12v extends just a little bit more up and in, limiting proper placement. Of course 30-sec with a dremel could solve the problem. But I'm not in the habit of taking a dremel to $500 parts. YMMV.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not true. 12v extends just a little bit more up and in, limiting proper placement. Of course 30-sec with a dremel could solve the problem. But I'm not in the habit of taking a dremel to $500 parts. YMMV.
    Any pics to show this? I’m intrigued because I compared lever bodies quite closely and couldn’t see a difference aside from the ‘horn’ at the top.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast