Thread: 3T Rotundo Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Holy s***. 105 mm of Reach 150 mm of drop. Kinda reminiscent of the Aerotundo, which also had quite the reach (>100 mm)

I also think that it’s for this reason that big component brands eventually introduced the ability to rotate the bottom of brake levers aftwards, so that people using ergo/anatomic bends could grab the brake levers in the drops
    You mean “reach adjustment” that changes the leverage enough so that the master cylinder BARELY displaces any fluid without massively over-filling the reservoir?

Hydraulic flat bar levers already don’t work for people with small hands because their bends are designed for people with large hands, drop bars have made the problem even worse, in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didnt quite realize the effect that had on hydraulic systems (i’m a rim brake hold-out)

My wife hated the (gigantic) 105 hydraulic shifters on her bike. After we heard about positive anecdotes re: 8070/9170 shifters, her bike was retrofitted with Di2, solely b/c the shifters were more manageable. Her handlebars are Bontrager VR-SF, which Trek says is good for riders with smaller hands. Though the reach on that bar is quite small, the shape of the bends could pass for that of a traditional round bend.

If Trek made that bar with an aero top section, i’d gladly use it in lieu of my Ritchey WCS Streem II bars (with nominal traditional round bend)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. You’ve got to be hyper diligent or EPO infused ergo SL 88s will arrive. But if not they’re pretty swell. I’ve got a few pair:
    D4BF0A28-7A7B-4B12-8F17-2484422651E4.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Those are swell. My issue with them is that twice I have ordered them and twice they have come in with the anatomic-type bend.

Curse any and all bars without a traditional round bend and flat part aft of the drops long enough for the width of your palm. I was an early adopter of Modolo and ITM and not going back there. RHM, parabolic progressive action, anatomic, evocurve, ergo, ergonova, Aldo Nova, these all seem based on the fantasy that you can put your bars too low and visit the drops on occasion. Maes got it right, 90 years ago.

PS Speaking of Maes, https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...18-handlebars/

PPS @DOOFUS I’ll take “Lame 80’s Canadian Bands” for $800, please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The zipp sl88 is pretty similar but also appears to be a casualty of people now wanting a drop bar where the drops are closer than the hoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    The zipp sl88 is pretty similar but also appears to be a casualty of people now wanting a drop bar where the drops are closer than the hoods
    partially a result of brake hoods being so much longer, although there is the benefit of very little interference between the tops and wrists when in the drops. I don't mind it at all on the FSA bars I run since they have such a deep drop at 150. Don't need the extra reach.
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deep drops put your hands closer to downtube shifters.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Deep drops put your hands closer to downtube shifters.
    absolutely true. but it's also true that a closer, deeper drop (vs a lesser drop with more reach) puts your hands closer to the body which in turn lessens the core strength required to hold the position which in turn takes weight off your hands
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

IMG_0722.jpg

shot of the fsa energy traditional in 40cm for Jason (OP) to see. got lazy taping hood so white lettering is showing. normally run 1cm longer stem but someone wanted to try my 12 and the 11 isn't killing me in the winter

forgot not mention they are supposed to have a 1 or 2 degree flare that I have never noticed, but should mention
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    absolutely true. but it's also true that a closer, deeper drop (vs a lesser drop with more reach) puts your hands closer to the body which in turn lessens the core strength required to hold the position which in turn takes weight off your hands
    I am not sure that the ability to get the hands closer to the body is exclusively possible with deeper drop bars.

To be honest, I just see a lot of nostalgia here for a particular parts selection and disappointment in losing a tool that works for some people on the bike due to business decisions by manufacturers. Totally get that. Saddle makers are the worst about doing stuff like that.

But the rest of this is sort of weird and sounds more like old men shouting at clouds. But maybe that's the typical winter thread content spopepro misses. In that case, carry on.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure that the ability to get the hands closer to the body is exclusively possible with deeper drop bars.

To be honest, I just see a lot of nostalgia here for a particular parts selection and disappointment in losing a tool that works for some people on the bike due to business decisions by manufacturers. Totally get that. Saddle makers are the worst about doing stuff like that.

But the rest of this is sort of weird and sounds more like old men shouting at clouds. But maybe that's the typical winter thread content spopepro misses. In that case, carry on.
    I’m not opposed to advancement, but handlebar “features” are stupid. The correct way to sit on a bike is a solved problem and “innovation” in handlebar shapes to make better sounding copy on the internet is bad. One might even say it encourages positions that might be more efficient with the bicycle moving in a direction for which is is not intended. I have rotundo pro bars on my bikes and I’m bummed hearing it’s no more fwiw.

But really, I’m just here for unironic recommendations for running a 150mm stem.

3AD00339-618E-42D7-9376-F29FECA15FCE.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want somewhere to put my paws where all of them engage the bars and it isn't edges down middle floating because that squashes things to the middle and by the end of the day that's like I stuck a rock in my shorts only its my hands that suffer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    I’m not opposed to advancement, but handlebar “features” are stupid. The correct way to sit on a bike is a solved problem and “innovation” in handlebar shapes to make better sounding copy on the internet is bad. One might even say it encourages positions that might be more efficient with the bicycle moving in a direction for which is is not intended. I have rotundo pro bars on my bikes and I’m bummed hearing it’s no more fwiw.

But really, I’m just here for unironic recommendations for running a 150mm stem.

3AD00339-618E-42D7-9376-F29FECA15FCE.jpg
    Agreed on position. For my money, some variation in bar shape is a good idea, given how many different hand sizes and shapes there are. And along with that, accommodation of the use of levers to control more than just braking. Especially now that they have hydraulics crammed inside. But all this in the service of correct position, yes, unless there is a disability. Even then, there is a target for position.

Here’s a pretty well set up bike. Won a few races evidently.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/the-austro-daimler-that-wasnt/
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-20-2021 at 09:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and as far as I know no longer in production, like so many others
    Really? They’re readily available everywhere I’ve looked?

I was going to buy a couple of the shallow drop ones but not sure I’d like them over the deep drop version.

If they are not being produced any longer there’s also Nitto who make some nice traditional bars similar.
    Riding has to be fun, and part of the fun has to be that you’re not worried about having too much technology on your bike. - Tom Ritchey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    Really? They’re readily available everywhere I’ve looked?

I was going to buy a couple of the shallow drop ones but not sure I’d like them over the deep drop version.

If they are not being produced any longer there’s also Nitto who make some nice traditional bars similar.
    hmm. I did see a few in stock, but seems like they are mainly (only) at UK sources. I made my claim after a cursory look at what US dealers can order and did not see any listed at the usual places like QBP and JBI. Jerk had mentioned on the thread I started back in 2018 that no one was importing them anymore (but he was; not sure if that is still the case)

As for the nostalgia Jorn commented on, I tend to agree on most things like steel bikes and 32h shallow profile box section wheels or rim brakes, but I have tried tried to like the short/shallow/curvy drops bars on a couple of occasions, but "fool me once" and all that; I've got better things to do than fix something that works, especially when it requires removing shifters, retaping bars, playing with angles and all that. now get off my lawn
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where the Deda ones rejected already?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm. I did see a few in stock, but seems like they are mainly (only) at UK sources. I made my claim after a cursory look at what US dealers can order and did not see any listed at the usual places like QBP and JBI. Jerk had mentioned on the thread I started back in 2018 that no one was importing them anymore (but he was; not sure if that is still the case)

As for the nostalgia Jorn commented on, I tend to agree on most things like steel bikes and 32h shallow profile box section wheels or rim brakes, but I have tried tried to like the short/shallow/curvy drops bars on a couple of occasions, but "fool me once" and all that; I've got better things to do than fix something that works, especially when it requires removing shifters, retaping bars, playing with angles and all that. now get off my lawn
    Sure, if it works and you like how it works, then stick with it. Nostalgia is not a bad thing though. Can be why the tea biscuit tastes so good.

But compact bars are not the end of cycling, cows will meow like cats and chaos will reign. I mean chaos is already pretty much a constant these days, but it doesn't have much to do with compact bars. Use whatchu gots to.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sure, if it works and you like how it works, then stick with it. Nostalgia is not a bad thing though. Can be why the tea biscuit tastes so good.

But compact bars are not the end of cycling, cows will meow like cats and chaos will reign. I mean chaos is already pretty much a constant these days, but it doesn't have much to do with compact bars. Use whatchu gots to.
    quoting in part so I can recommend the back story on the Austro-Daimler bike above; talk about nostalgia worthy (also wanted to make the link live as it wasn't in your post for some reason)

does the constancy of chaos undermine the essence of chaos?
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

quoting in part so I can recommend the back story on the Austro-Daimler bike above; talk about nostalgia worthy (also wanted to make the link live as it wasn't in your post for some reason)

does the constancy of chaos undermine the essence of chaos?
    Excellent article.

I actually remember seeing Connie Carpenter racing, probably on this exact bike.

Growing up in Wisconsin we had racing every summer and I loved going to watch them all, from the "citizen's" races to the Pro/1/2 races and Davis Phinney won many of the the men's races and Connie Carpenter won many of the women's races.

Great memories of seeing those riders and then seeing some of them years later in the Tour. Off the top of my head I can't remember which other women were part of the Austro-Daimler/Puch team.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone here needs to just calm down and buy ritchey streem carbons. Wrap the tops too. Best of all worlds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ooohhhmmmmm
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-21-2021 at 08:27 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast