User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 99

Thread: 3T Rotundo Pro

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    feral, USA
    Posts
    2,881
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    SMOOTH TRANSITION?
    I KNOW I’M YELLLING

    Handlebar and brake lever shape was fiiine for 50ish years, and now all usable handlebars have been discontinued. A good bike fit starts with hand placement and wrist angles and those people asking for SMOOTH TRANSITIONS are mystifying to me.

    Brake levers are frigging gigantic now, everyone except king kong can fit their entire hand on the levers without even making contact with the handlebar. What the heck are people transitioning FROM? No man’s land between the tops and hoods? I blame fixie fever from the aughts and all the dingleberries who learned how to ride with bullhorns.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,128
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    I think the Deda shallows are done. I have several in my parts bin but I'm moving to 40 C-C bars from 42. My shallows are all 42 except these. I found a rogue bar on eBay a few months back and installed this and put it on my Look. Having not ridden them for a few years it was a bit strange but I got used to it quickly.

    The modern version would be the Zero 100 RHM, which is a really nice bar with a varying radius round drop and a nice transition to the bar. Levers are different today and at least Shimano doesn't love the round bars anymore. Campagnolo would probably be fine. The cable routing on this bar leaves the channel at the back empty, creating an odd flat spot on the bar.

    The thing about modern bars that nobody seems to think about is that they offer/force the rider into a higher position without spacers under the stem. You gain at least a couple centimeters if that's what one wants.

    As to the Rotundo, I tried them for a few years and they left me ambivalent. Medium drop, no cable channels, kind of strange reach, etc.

    Other than this throwback Look 585 I'm embracing the Deda RHM bars from here on out. They're really nice.

    La Cheeserie!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    5,930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    and as far as I know no longer in production, like so many others
    The Zero 100 is still posted on Deda’s website but I’m not sure if that’s the same as the Zero. Maybe I should hoard a few of the Zero 100 bars if that’s the case.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    19,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    I dunno. New bars make sense to me. They are the losers in the new design. Levers are the winners. Admittedly most people (including manufacturers & bike shops) set them up badly. So far up the bar they are basically the modern equivalent of flipping the bars and using the accessory levers. And there are plenty of stupid shapes produced just to be different. As long as we insist on cramming motorcycle parts into a bicycle brake lever then a certain amount of bad design is to be expected. Nothing to do with hand shape. That's an after-thought born of necessity mostly. No romance. Hands have jobs to do now. Wrap your fingers around that ratcheting master cylinder and get the bar shape outa the way. Like working in a factory. But at least you are outside.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    3,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I mentioned Fizik snake earlier and it was poo poohed but the 42cm and bigger version is 140/85. I rode Tornovas for years (have one pair left) and I believe they’re the same as Rotundo but for the ovalized tops. I like the Fizik even better.

    This from someone who is six foot even, and with slightly, though not abnormally, wider shoulders, longer wingspan, and bigger hands. SRAM shifters, FWIW.
    I did not intend to come across as dismissive of your suggestion, I appreciate all of the suggestions here. It's just that I am specifically looking for a 40cm bar here and the Snake is 140/85 in the wider versions but for some reason shallower/shorter in 40cm.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    feral, USA
    Posts
    2,881
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    In my experience,“new bars” make it necessary to run stems that are a cm longer than with dearly departed normal-ass handlebars, even with the longer brake levers. The bike industry doesn’t import enough 150x-25 stems to make up for the fact that it no longer makes handlebars for road bikes, or road bikes with geometry for road riding.

    Hood/tops/hooks- that’s where hands go. if you want to put your hands somewhere else, get a goddamned bike fit and go do some planks. A bunch of macaroni shapes connecting that stuff is useless, and the biggest casualty has been the hooks. Surely i am not the only person who DEMANDS the meat of their paw on the drops goes IN the hook? These newfangled bars put the paw meat behind the levers!
    UNUSABLE

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    12,423
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
    I really like the Zipp SL 88 (88/130). Not dead on your spec but work well with Shimano. Justin Bagnati turned me on to them. You’ll seee them on a bunch of Darren’s bikes in pics. https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/models/hb-dbsc-sl88-a1
    Attachment 117897
    Those are swell. My issue with them is that twice I have ordered them and twice they have come in with the anatomic-type bend.

    Curse any and all bars without a traditional round bend and flat part aft of the drops long enough for the width of your palm. I was an early adopter of Modolo and ITM and not going back there. RHM, parabolic progressive action, anatomic, evocurve, ergo, ergonova, Aldo Nova, these all seem based on the fantasy that you can put your bars too low and visit the drops on occasion. Maes got it right, 90 years ago.



    PS Speaking of Maes, https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...18-handlebars/

    PPS @DOOFUS I’ll take “Lame 80’s Canadian Bands” for $800, please.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 02-19-2021 at 10:59 AM.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

    Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    5,609
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    I did not intend to come across as dismissive of your suggestion, I appreciate all of the suggestions here. It's just that I am specifically looking for a 40cm bar here and the Snake is 140/85 in the wider versions but for some reason shallower/shorter in 40cm.
    No worries.
    my name is Matt

    INSTA

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    26,509
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    The rotundos didn't work at all with modern levers from shimano/campy/sram. The tornova worked much nicer, they differed a bit in the top part of the bend to make for a smoother transition with the shifter. I am still using one. I understand they are also discontinued?

    There is srill nitto I guess.
    Absolutely, I use the Nitto "Noodle" Mod 177 on tandem. Fantastic bar >> https://www.rivbike.com/products/nitto-noodle-handlebar

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    3,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    ^^ Great bar, I had one of those years ago.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,065
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Why the heck last year couldn't I find SL88 bars to replace the ones I had? I saw them suggested here in this thread and thought I was going to say they were gone but I figured I should take a look first and they seem to be out there again. Time to fall off the bike and need new ones, then.
    Tom Ambros

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fairfax, California
    Posts
    2,735
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    I used to be saddened by the demise of classic bars- I rode them from about 1987 until maybe 2014.

    But then a couple things made me change my mind.

    1.) Modern shifters work pretty terribly on classic bars. 1st one to come to mind was SRAM Red levers- they would sit totally cockeyed on a classic bar. And the higher you ran them, the more cockeyed they got. All newer Shimano levers past 7800 also worked poorly.
    2.) and their one is more important. A lot of new handlebar designs work 1000x better for hands, wrists, and positions than classic bars ever did! Deda Zero bars, Enve Compact, Zipp SL70- all ofhtese feel really nice!

    My brother was also a classic bar fan. In the last 2 years he went from classic steel rim brake bikes with classic bars to a couple of disc bikes with FSA bars- One set has flare, one set is just the standard FSA compact. He also could not believe how much better he liked them.

    For folks with big hands- The Bontrager bars are all really nice. Super long reach and a lot of real estate up top and in the drops.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    I used to be saddened by the demise of classic bars- I rode them from about 1987 until maybe 2014.

    But then a couple things made me change my mind.

    1.) Modern shifters work pretty terribly on classic bars. 1st one to come to mind was SRAM Red levers- they would sit totally cockeyed on a classic bar. And the higher you ran them, the more cockeyed they got. All newer Shimano levers past 7800 also worked poorly.
    2.) and their one is more important. A lot of new handlebar designs work 1000x better for hands, wrists, and positions than classic bars ever did! Deda Zero bars, Enve Compact, Zipp SL70- all ofhtese feel really nice!

    My brother was also a classic bar fan. In the last 2 years he went from classic steel rim brake bikes with classic bars to a couple of disc bikes with FSA bars- One set has flare, one set is just the standard FSA compact. He also could not believe how much better he liked them.

    For folks with big hands- The Bontrager bars are all really nice. Super long reach and a lot of real estate up top and in the drops.
    I donno, I went to classic rounds (made by Ritchey) exactly because I could actually grab Sram brake levers in the drops. When mounted on ergo/anatomic bars, the Sram brake levers were too far away from the drops.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    26,509
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Veluminati Rule
    #96 The bottom of your brake lever must occupy the same plane as the flat underside portion of your drops.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    feral, USA
    Posts
    2,881
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    I donno, I went to classic rounds (made by Ritchey) exactly because I could actually grab Sram brake levers in the drops. When mounted on ergo/anatomic bars, the Sram brake levers were too far away from the drops.
    This times 1000x!
    My tiny hands need a classic bend to even make contact with a lever in the drops.

    The “x-distance” between the handlebar clamp and the lever pivot is what is “longer” on modern levers, a classic bend is the only thing that gets me comfortably in range without the brake lever bottoming out against the bartape

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    19,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Huh. Different hand sizes finger lengths preferred wrist back neck positions heights lengths strengths weaknesses and aesthetic preferences. Who knew.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Casolare alla Scala
    Posts
    1,354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    In my experience,“new bars” make it necessary to run stems that are a cm longer than with dearly departed normal-ass handlebars, even with the longer brake levers. The bike industry doesn’t import enough 150x-25 stems to make up for the fact that it no longer makes handlebars for road bikes, or road bikes with geometry for road riding.

    Hood/tops/hooks- that’s where hands go. if you want to put your hands somewhere else, get a goddamned bike fit and go do some planks. A bunch of macaroni shapes connecting that stuff is useless, and the biggest casualty has been the hooks. Surely i am not the only person who DEMANDS the meat of their paw on the drops goes IN the hook? These newfangled bars put the paw meat behind the levers!
    UNUSABLE
    im gonna just pop in here an say this is 100%, clean, uncut vintage vSalon and i miss this shit. cheers.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    661
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    There’s a more recent traditional bend bar from 3T called the Superleggera:

    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/3...alth-handlebar

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    19,206
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    im gonna just pop in here an say this is 100%, clean, uncut vintage vSalon and i miss this shit. cheers.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    322
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 3T Rotundo Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Chooey View Post
    There’s a more recent traditional bend bar from 3T called the Superleggera:

    https://www.competitivecyclist.com/3...alth-handlebar
    Holy s***. 105 mm of Reach 150 mm of drop. Kinda reminiscent of the Aerotundo, which also had quite the reach (>100 mm)
    Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    This times 1000x!
    My tiny hands need a classic bend to even make contact with a lever in the drops.

    The “x-distance” between the handlebar clamp and the lever pivot is what is “longer” on modern levers, a classic bend is the only thing that gets me comfortably in range without the brake lever bottoming out against the bartape
    I also think that it’s for this reason that big component brands eventually introduced the ability to rotate the bottom of brake levers aftwards, so that people using ergo/anatomic bends could grab the brake levers in the drops

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •