Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is the 32H wheel dead?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is the 32H wheel dead?

32 hole for disc is still very much alive. 32 hole for road isn't dead but it's starting to head down the road of downtube shifters. You still see them, even new builds sometimes, but they are more of a nostalgic item for most versus current style or technology. That said, there's so many of them out there in the market already, they aren't disappearing any time soon.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO 32h still exists as a wayback machine to a time honored aesthetic and for the home builder. yea, 8 spokes is 40g but people on a mission find ways to lose those grams and 32 --> 28h is one way to do so.

I've incarnated my traditional steel in both classic and modern set up. Pick one...

Post Thanks / Like

How can the 32H wheel be dead when Campagnolo Record hubs still live?
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like

Had a set of Boyd Altamonts built up around White Industries T11s 32/28h earlier this year for my gravel/travel bike. They're plenty light for the application and are far and away the nicest set of wheels I've owned.

Especially with disc and the mess that is the all-road segment, I don't think 32h is dead for non-factory wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

As a custom builder I don't see the 32H wheel going away anytime soon. As long as there's heavy cyclists, the 32H wheel will be around. In fact I wish there were more 36H and 40H rim and hub options. A 36 hole DT 350 would be sweet!!!
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydcycling View Post
    We are actually seeing a surge in people wanting the 32 spoke wheels. In fact, on the Altamont we are out of 32 hole rims for a little bit because they sold out much quicker than we anticipated. I have a production run going right now of just 32 hole rims.
    I think everybody has seen the drawback with manufacturers pushing lighter and lighter on equipment. Spokes weigh under 5 grams apiece, so increasing the spoke count by 8 spokes adds less than half the weight of an empty water bottle!

Plus, this looks really cool!
    I vote for this post to win something.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried finding 32h straight pull disc hubs and couldn't find any without going BOOST.

10/10 would use.
    Matt Moore
    @hellafabrication
    www.instagram.com/Hellafabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice lacing! That's a cool pattern.

On 32h wheels...they're not dead yet. Most of the reasons have already been mentioned.

I just happen to like well built, conventional 32h/3x wheels, custom built with nice hubs and rims. They're fast enough for me (Record hubs, Mavic Open Pro, DT Swiss) and remarkably durable. The guy that built these wheels knew what he was doing because it wasn't until about 13,000 miles that I noticed a very slight wave on the rear. Trued right up. The front is still perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

This just arrived to replace a worn-to-the-point-of-cracking OP. Hard to find these days for reasonable $$. Next time...? eBay? CL?
    IMG_0745.jpg
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like

32 is the only ones I want.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    A pair of 48h, single speed, 700c, BMX hubs, touring rims, and special lacing custom wheelset I had built for fun when I still lived in NYC and commuted by bike.

Heavy as heck but truly bomb proof.

Four leading/trailing, Jesus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    How can the 32H wheel be dead when Campagnolo Record hubs still live?
    I secretly believe Record hubs are still available because they have them in stock. The 28 and 36 hole variants of the Record hub have disappeared but, the slow moving machine that Campagnolo is, they probably made a boat load of 32 hole hubs and will sell them through but once they are gone, they may not get replaced. This is just a guess. I have nothing in the way of proof to support this theory.

I've since moved on to Hope hubs for my Campagnolo compatible hub needs. They are fantastic. I've ridden Hope hubs on a mountain bike for years with good results and the road hubs are just as good. I loathe the day that I have to start hoarding 32 hole rims and spokes, but I guess it might happen...

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe because I was relatively late to the less than 32h club I'm still in the honeymoon phase. Every wheel I have built or bought for the past couple years now has been <32h except for one set of 29'er wheels. So far I haven't seen a downside to the 28 and under wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daschund View Post
    I may be wrong but it looks like 28h spacing to me. 28h is the new 32h.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

I've broken spokes on road bikes before. I had an old Felt that for some reason loved to pop spokes on local greenways. I never got stranded but would get to ride back with no brakes.

My current bike came with a set of Mavic Aksiums in 20/24. I'm currently about 225 (target is a bit under 200). Those Aksiums lasted, but I was ALWAYS freaked out they were going to leave me stranded on long solo rides.

For that bike I bought a set of H Plus Son Archetype laced to White T-11's in 28/32. Those have been fantastic.

For my new Seven I needed a disc setup. Went with Altamont LItes in 28/32. They're going on my new frame this week. Can't wait.

32H is not dead from where I sit. I am willing to trade grams for a bit of piece of mind.

Post Thanks / Like

of note here... a few years ago shimano hubs went way up in price... when bought alone.
    da hubs alone ended up costing close to the price of a wheelset as i recall.

not sure about it now but they were clearly moving in the direction of not selling them separately.
    no doubt there are many many hubs around for rebuild purposes... ultegra as well..
    becoming more difficult to find rims though i bet.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading every month the headlines on mtbr action: "hardtails are dead".
    Ahh... the good times.
    I came here for the socks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    A squirrel threw a branch at me, the branch went into my rear Campy Shamal and broke a couple spokes. I posted here about whether to keep or discard, then decided to try a few shops. Two wouldn't touch the wheel, one said they'd give it a shot but didn't really inspire much confidence, and the third treated it like any wheel with a broken spoke, so I gave it to them. A week later it was done perfectly. I've been riding it for several months and no problems.

So the factory built wheel was a headache until I found a mechanic with the skills to make it not a headache (for me at least.) Thus it seemed to me that factory built wheels demand a higher skilled mechanic.

But then I remembered a pair of 32H wheels where the rear wheel went out of true (another, albeit smaller, branch,) and I took it to a different shop. Wheel got trued, etc. and I rode on it for several months, and it went out of whack again. The shop trued it again, and then I used it a couple times on a trainer and noticed it was out of whack again. So I thought well must be something wrong with the build of the wheel, but I'll just use it as a trainer wheel to keep from ruining perfectly good outdoor tires.

Then the other day I actually looked carefully at the wheel, and I can tell the spoke tensions vary noticeably. Now the rim wasn't that bent - in fact it wasn't bent, it was just out of true - so now I think whoever was doing the work on the wheel was just doing a quick loosen/tighten or even perhaps just a loosen on one side and whambamdone. Which saddens me, because that used to be a good shop but they may at least have a bad egg there now.

So I am going to take that wheel back to the place that fixed the Shamals. Whatever the spoke count, a bad mechanic is not good for the wheel.

BTW, the Campy G3 spoke design is a real woodchopper. The big open space between each set of three thin flat spokes works on the same principle as a Cuisinart blade. I can only imagine what riding a bike with front and rear G3 wheels will be like. Look out squirrels.

My most durable wheel is a 32H Open Pro/Sapim Laser/Campagnolo Record build done by GVH. One touch up at the beginning of its life, but that's been it. Must be almost 10 years old?
    Of all the wheels I raced cross on: Neutrons, Ksyriums, Zondas, and open pro's laced to record hubs with revolution spokes, it was the 32 hole open pro's that died. They kept getting out of true and wacked. I tossed them in my basement. The other wheels never went out of true and I hit some wicked terrible bumps too. I still want to rebuild them with the new open pros however.

Post Thanks / Like

I had 28 and 32 hole Mavic open pro wheels- made by the same guy in Mass (Bay state wheels) back in the day: 28 hole I broke spokes regularly and 32 I never trued once.

I know stuff has gotten better- but that set my opinion and since , other than production wheels (Industry 9 for example), I only want 32 for the durability factor
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    Jim Jarmusch