Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the 32H wheel dead?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is the 32H wheel dead?

On carbon wheels/racing bikes, yes, 32 spoke wheels are dead. Otherwise, they are alive and kicking. Not everybody is racing. Plenty of folks are out there riding on 32 spoke wheels every day. I probably have 4-5 sets myself. Great daily wheels. NEXT
    Alex Cortez

Post Thanks / Like

3632.jpgFulcrum.jpgGosh! There's me still building 36/36 or 36/32. Last year I bought, as opposed to built myself, my first set of wheels since the 1980s. I put some low end Fulcrum wheels on my commuting bike and they do the job very well. They cost me about the same as I pay for a pair of H Plus Son Archetype rims alone. I can see the advantage of fewer spokes for factory built wheels but I hope that 32 hole or even 36 hole rims do not stop being readily available. As for high performance wheels, I am not a high performance cyclist so I think I would look silly sitting on a bike with those.

Post Thanks / Like

they are a relic.

factory wheels are too good now....
    no doubt there are folks here who ride them...
    hell, there are folks here who probably ride syncro 1 for gawds sake.
    so, theres that.

Post Thanks / Like

nope. I'm cheap. they work. rebuildable. ridable when a spoke breaks. I'm going to break down one of these days and buy some modern wheels to see what kind of difference they make hanging in (and sprinting from) a 28mph paceline, but that's about the only time I ever think about it

Post Thanks / Like

We are actually seeing a surge in people wanting the 32 spoke wheels. In fact, on the Altamont we are out of 32 hole rims for a little bit because they sold out much quicker than we anticipated. I have a production run going right now of just 32 hole rims.
    I think everybody has seen the drawback with manufacturers pushing lighter and lighter on equipment. Spokes weigh under 5 grams apiece, so increasing the spoke count by 8 spokes adds less than half the weight of an empty water bottle!

Plus, this looks really cool!
    www.boydcycling.com - The Handcrafted Revolution

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a heavy guy (~220) and I've got 32H wheels on my commuters and cross bikes. If the commuter wheels die, I'd buy 32H again just for the ease of repair and truing. For cross, I'd probably buy something with less spokes.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like

My rando wheels are 36H. I want to be able to true the wheel and finish the ride even if I break a spoke. I carry a fiberfix too but I don't really want to have to futz with that if I can avoid it.

Post Thanks / Like

A pair of 48h, single speed, 700c, BMX hubs, touring rims, and special lacing custom wheelset I had built for fun when I still lived in NYC and commuted by bike.

Heavy as heck but truly bomb proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steamer View Post
    My rando wheels are 36H. I want to be able to true the wheel and finish the ride even if I break a spoke. I carry a fiberfix too but I don't really want to have to futz with that if I can avoid it.
    ...and 32 spokes is about the minimum that one can expect to be able to open up the brakes and get home in some fashion after breaking a spoke...Of course even this is not often possible with the current fashion of fitting wider tires that push clearances to the minimum and remove all of the margin for error....

Post Thanks / Like

As a follow up....I don't think that you can discount the role of the proliferation of mobile phones in the demise of very reliable equipment such as 32 spoke wheels. Now, I am impressed with how reliable some "exotic" wheels can be such as Campagnolo Boras or Mavic Cosmic Carbones. They are incredibly reliable, but if you do break a spoke-and sometimes it's not from failure but from getting an errant pedal or wheel skewer put into it-you are not riding home like you might with a 32 spoke wheel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    to be aiming at the highest possible stiffness (which in turn people put balloon tires on to smooth out the ride).
    Sorry but that is internet forum fantasy. Balloon tires are as old as bicycles. People just came back to their senses in the last 5y or so after wrongly assuming for 3 decades that the fastest tires were crazy thin 19mm tubulars inflated at 188psi.

Blame ignorant people such as Eddy Merckx who have been spreading those false assumptions for all those years.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    ...and 32 spokes is about the minimum that one can expect to be able to open up the brakes and get home in some fashion after breaking a spoke...Of course even this is not often possible with the current fashion of fitting wider tires that push clearances to the minimum and remove all of the margin for error....
    Only happen to grumpy old mens riding rim brakes. Last time I broke a spoke* I only figured out while storing the bike at home. Not a single rub.

* ironically with the exception of one derailleur hanger failure that destroyed a rear campy eurus wheel I only broke spokes on +32h wheels.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

I've had a few sets of handbuilts but in my experience Khamsins are loads better and cheaper to boot. I don't get the if a spoke breaks stuff as that's only happened to me with handbuilts. If anything happens to my Khamsins, Zondas et al then they'll have died a noble death.
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

Post Thanks / Like

Advancements in metallurgy have made 28 the new 32.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope not because all my wheels and two never-built hubsets have at least 32H. That is good news from Boyd but I think narrow low profile 32H wheels are on life support. (I may have to buy new spokes for the next build.)
    Last edited by classtimesailer; 06-16-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Thoughts on spokes.
    Jeff Hazeltine

Post Thanks / Like

I am still on random 32 and 36ers on all my wheelsets. I do have a 28h set somewhere a couple discs and a 50mm deep front. Not sure what the big deal is for just riding on. The only time I have ever had to call for a ride home in over 50 years of riding was when a Rolf wheel broke a rear spoke and rubbed on both chainstays ride over. I love the simple of a box rim and 32-36h rims.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
    ....Fewer spokes = higher tension per spoke...
    Only sorta. I build 32 spoke wheels to the max tension allowed by the rim (120kgf on most rims these days). Just like I do any other spoke count wheel.

But, with the wheel in use, then yes, a max tension a spoke sees (when it's at the top of the revolution) is lower in a higher spoke count wheel since there's more spokes sharing the load.

There's no good reason to build a wheel with spoke tension lower than allowed. So long as the tension is high enough that the spokes don't go slack in use, higher tension doesn't equal a stiffer wheel, and likewise, lower tension doesn't equal a less stiff wheel.

That of course also means there's no reason for the tension to be higher than what's necessary either. But who knows exactly what that number is, hence the reason to build them to max allowed tension per the rim manufacturer.

Back to the original question: Are 32H dead? Hell no. Most of the wheels I build are 32 hole, almost all of the MTB wheels are.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
    Rim depth and material are a huge variable on whether or not this is true. I recently broke two spokes, two adjacent spokes, on a 28-hole rear wheel. FOD (foreign object digestion). Not only did I make it home, the loss of true was nearly imperceptible. And it was incredibly easy to fix.

Carbon rims, though. And heck yeah, I'm a fan.
    Tödd Höllând

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need. -- Tyler Durden

Post Thanks / Like

I use 32h Open Pro/Ultegra as my daily/commuter wheels and like them very much, more so then the Mavic Aksium that don't get used nearly as much.
    Nunquam sentio a vir per amplitudo of suus codpiece.

Post Thanks / Like

A squirrel threw a branch at me, the branch went into my rear Campy Shamal and broke a couple spokes. I posted here about whether to keep or discard, then decided to try a few shops. Two wouldn't touch the wheel, one said they'd give it a shot but didn't really inspire much confidence, and the third treated it like any wheel with a broken spoke, so I gave it to them. A week later it was done perfectly. I've been riding it for several months and no problems.

So the factory built wheel was a headache until I found a mechanic with the skills to make it not a headache (for me at least.) Thus it seemed to me that factory built wheels demand a higher skilled mechanic.

But then I remembered a pair of 32H wheels where the rear wheel went out of true (another, albeit smaller, branch,) and I took it to a different shop. Wheel got trued, etc. and I rode on it for several months, and it went out of whack again. The shop trued it again, and then I used it a couple times on a trainer and noticed it was out of whack again. So I thought well must be something wrong with the build of the wheel, but I'll just use it as a trainer wheel to keep from ruining perfectly good outdoor tires.

Then the other day I actually looked carefully at the wheel, and I can tell the spoke tensions vary noticeably. Now the rim wasn't that bent - in fact it wasn't bent, it was just out of true - so now I think whoever was doing the work on the wheel was just doing a quick loosen/tighten or even perhaps just a loosen on one side and whambamdone. Which saddens me, because that used to be a good shop but they may at least have a bad egg there now.

So I am going to take that wheel back to the place that fixed the Shamals. Whatever the spoke count, a bad mechanic is not good for the wheel.

BTW, the Campy G3 spoke design is a real woodchopper. The big open space between each set of three thin flat spokes works on the same principle as a Cuisinart blade. I can only imagine what riding a bike with front and rear G3 wheels will be like. Look out squirrels.

My most durable wheel is a 32H Open Pro/Sapim Laser/Campagnolo Record build done by GVH. One touch up at the beginning of its life, but that's been it. Must be almost 10 years old?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

My most durable wheel is a 32H Open Pro/Sapim Laser/Campagnolo Record build done by GVH. One touch up at the beginning of its life, but that's been it. Must be almost 10 years old?

I had three sets built by GVH and all were/are amazing:
    - 9sp/105/OP/Wheelsmith DB/32h (sold with bike but told they are still taking a thrashing)
    - 9sp/105/OP/Wheelsmith DB/36h (sold with bike but not sure what they are doing these days)
    - 9sp/Ultegra/OP/Wheelsmith DB/36h (still on a flat bar road bike and being used when I am in CO)

Then I ordered these from LBS/QBP/Wheelhouse and it took them three tries to get almost correct (first set had black spokes, second set the asymmetric rim was put on front for some reason, third set rim stickers did not line up with valve holes the same on both wheels but I was too tired to wait for a 4th set):
    - 11sp/DT350/DT R440/DT DB/32h silver spokes (sold with another bike)

Then for my first factory set I took the wisdom of VSalon and got RS-81 C24s. They are great but have not used them lately.

And now, I am riding my Boyd Altamont Lites in 28/32 so I guess what goes around comes around eventually.