Thread: 2021 Road Racing Thread - Spoilers Included

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2021 Road Racing Thread - Spoilers Included

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Watching the "cult race of the spring" on Eurosport yesterday, I was struggling with the amount of dust the camera moto kicked up. There was no dust to speak of across the entirety of Tuscany except for this intense cloud created by the cameraman's moto. The effect was bad to my eyes as a viewer.

I would rather see camera footage from behind during the gravel sections or go aerial or have cameramen positioned on the gravel sections possibly. I'm not sure what the solution is which doesn't seem too hard to ameliorate, but I didn't think it was necessary to have the riders ride through a dust cloud for the sake of covering the race. I felt like it made the race more epic than it was in a distracting way plus that has to suck breathing rock particles at that effort.

I loved when Alaphilippe did a super tuck and Eurosport's twitter feed blew up. It turns out the super tuck is permitted until April 1 or 15 when the new rule takes affect. What a joke!

I loved seeing Bernal in the mix: I'm neutral about him but I was rooting for him simply because he was such an underdog as a Colombian in a spring Classic. I'm still trying to figure out how MVDP can beat Alaphilippe up a steep ramp plus Bernal's a climber too — I wouldn't categorize van der Poel as a climber — but I guess hard as nails is hard as nails. Chapeau for throwing down the gauntlet yesterday
    Different physiology for difference btwn M vdP and Bernal.

As for Alaphilippe, perhaps not fully on form. Otoh, this sort of steep ramps is basically the bread and butter of CX efforts, and M vdP is used to it. Stretch it out a tad (say an effort ~4-8 min in duration), and chances are, M vdP would not be as dominant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MvdP is a beast and great ride by Bernal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    As for Alaphilippe, perhaps not fully on form. Otoh, this sort of steep ramps is basically the bread and butter of CX efforts, and M vdP is used to it. Stretch it out a tad (say an effort ~4-8 min in duration), and chances are, M vdP would not be as dominant.
    This. Actually how many laps did they do at Ostende's world championship 8,9 with that 22% ramp to climb twice a lap ? MvDP actually had to do that kind of effort 16 to 18 times. That was the perfect preparation.

Also, what is incredible in his sprints isn't its top speed, but the way he can accelerate running everyone off his wheel and direct in the wind. It was the same at Flanders, Wout Van Aert had a faster sprint but the head MvDP had in the first 50m meters was just enough to make up for it. This is actually the reason he likes to start his sprint from first position, he can add the 1.5m of distance his rivals have to make up and knows that leading is a non issue as he will put his rivals in the wind in the first few meters.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:22 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching Paris-Nice on the NBC Sports app via Roku. I've heard NBC Sports will be dropping this or TdF coverage at a point this year. Anyone else hear anything? Am I misinformed?
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Richie Porte is cursed.
    I wouldn't call that a curse. OK any rider crash and gets hurt in his career but when you crash out of the races on such a regular basis the only reasonable assumption is that you are either lacking in term of handling skills, or you just are not tough enough to remount your bike with a wee bit of pain, or both. In the case of Richie Porte it looks like both. Some riders just realize they have to go out of the race only after some x-ray or after crossing the finish line. It looks like he is already inside the car even before having the time to crash.

Updated: X-rays confirm no fractures as Australian heads home to heal up
    Last edited by sk_tle; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:27 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Watching Paris-Nice on the NBC Sports app via Roku. I've heard NBC Sports will be dropping this or TdF coverage at a point this year. Anyone else hear anything? Am I misinformed?
    This is correct. Not a rumor. 2021 is last year of NBC. Amaury Sport is not happy with the $$ or the coverage they are getting from NBC, and NBC lost interest in cycling long ago.

The rumor is that Eurosport is working towards taking over broadcast of Amaury Sport races in the US through GCN. They've looked at the numbers of US viewers both legal (GCN) and by way of VPN and figure they can make it work as an online service. They've already been working on getting GCN included as a smart TV app with companies like Samsung. I think they have Google on board, Roku(?) and some others. Works perfectly with Apple Play in our house. And GCN already has the online broadcast rights for RCS and Flanders Classics (I think) along with all CX except UCI WC (and UCI Track Racing) in the US. Amaury Sport is almost the last piece of the pie.

Others here may know how much of that rumor set is real and how much is wishful thinking.
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:00 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I wouldn't call that a curse. OK any rider crash and gets hurt in his career but when you crash out of the races on such a regular basis the only reasonable assumption is that you are either lacking in term of handling skills, or you just are not tough enough to remount your bike with a wee bit of pain, or both. In the case of Richie Porte it looks like both. Some riders just realize they have to go out of the race only after some x-ray or after crossing the finish line. It looks like he is already inside the car even before having the time to crash.

Updated: X-rays confirm no fractures as Australian heads home to heal up
    I was joking. There have been plenty of stories about Richie Porte getting lost in traffic. Trek worked out well for him, and this was a friendly fire crash started by a rolling bidon, so some bad luck at least. But positioning within the peloton has not been his strength since that terrible crash on the descent with Dan Martin (who in contrast seems to be indestructible.)
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:02 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is correct. Not a rumor. 2021 is last year of NBC. Amaury Sport is not happy with the $$ or the coverage they are getting from NBC, and NBC lost interest in cycling long ago.

The rumor is that Eurosport is working towards taking over broadcast of Amaury Sport races in the US through GCN. They've looked at the numbers of US viewers both legal (GCN) and by way of VPN and figure they can make it work as an online service. They've already been working on getting GCN included as a smart TV app with companies like Samsung. I think they have Google on board, Roku(?) and some others. Works perfectly with Apple Play in our house. And GCN already has the online broadcast rights for RCS and Flanders Classics in the US. Amaury Sport is almost the last piece of the pie.

Others here may know how much of that rumor set is real and how much is wishful thinking.
    The NBC Sports situation is nearly seamless for me. I love it.

I’d be happy to go the GCN route for more races. I’m also OK with not worrying about Roku. But then I want an Apple TV option or something similar.

I will miss the NBC option but if GCN offers more and similar ease of use and quality I’ll be satisfied. The lack of advertising is the greatest part of it.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    The NBC Sports situation is nearly seamless for me. I love it.

I’d be happy to go the GCN route for more races. I’m also OK with not worrying about Roku. But then I want an Apple TV option or something similar.

I will miss the NBC option but if GCN offers more and similar ease of use and quality I’ll be satisfied. The lack of advertising is the greatest part of it.
    GCN+ is the subscription service for online race coverage. The presenters are from Eurosport and GCN (the YouTube channel) and include Daniel Lloyd, Magnus Backstedt, Matt Stevens, Rob Hatch, and Carlton Kirby, among others. GCN+ is also showing women's racing whenever available.

To watch on AppleTV, you just stream it from your laptop or iPad/iPhone with Airplay.

I can't say I will miss NBC. I've been watching Eurosport through a VPN for a long time, and the coverage is just better. But if you are still an NBC fan (25 years of age on the rivets) then you have a year to savor it.
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:21 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The have been 2 very good things about NBC. 1. Zero technical issues. Flobikes and GCN have had some as they have launched and begun to scale up. They are forgivable, but can be frustrating in the moment when you are excited to watch a race. 2. NBC's tour tracker is great - I guess this goes with the technology issue. Really cool to click on different tabs and see who is in the break, current standings, etc. while watching the race.

But overall - I will be happy if one provider corners the market for the US and can really take advantage of the scale of the market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rumor is that Eurosport is working towards taking over broadcast of Amaury Sport races in the US through GCN. They've looked at the numbers of US viewers both legal (GCN) and by way of VPN and figure they can make it work as an online service. They've already been working on getting GCN included as a smart TV app with companies like Samsung. I think they have Google on board, Roku(?) and some others. Works perfectly with Apple Play in our house. And GCN already has the online broadcast rights for RCS and Flanders Classics (I think) along with all CX except UCI WC (and UCI Track Racing) in the US. Amaury Sport is almost the last piece of the pie.

Eurosport is actually a subsidiary of Discovery Channel, so one would imagine that it wouldn't be too big of an ask for it to have expanded presence.

As you mentioned, there are a few big producers: ASO fro the big French races, la Vuelta, and the two classics in Wallonia; RCS for everything in Italy; and Flanders Classics for the Belgian one-day classics. I'm not sure how the current rights are divvied up Stateside, and whether Fubo still has any of those rights.

It'd be great if Eurosport could purchase those rights and start broadcasting. I currently pay ~$100/yr for that coverage ($50 for NordVPN and $50 for ES), and I have been doing so for the last eight plus years. Personally, I'd pay $150/yr for that coverage, as I find bike racing quite engaging and intriguing. My biggest gripe is that I could watch only on my laptop, as my computer has difficulty casting signals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i just paid €20 for an annual Eurosport subscription which was discounted for one year from 40. I'm not going to lie when not glued to the spring Classics I do like to watch some big Austrians carve gates on a steep icy men's downhill. Winter skiing coverage is priceless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The EuroSport requirement for the payment method address to match broadcast region keeps that from being successful. For now it'll continue to be FloSports for live TDF and GCN+/VPN for a whole lotta bike racing (gals and guys). So much racing all year ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time I've heard of a dead Di2 battery blamed for a mechanical: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sus...at-paris-nice/. I wonder if the DQS service course has an recent opening for a technician...?

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    First time I've heard of a dead Di2 battery blamed for a mechanical: https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sus...at-paris-nice/. I wonder if the DQS service course has an recent opening for a technician...?

Greg
    It has definitely happened before. Last year? Plenty of times. May not be a discharged battery but a worn out battery that discharges rapidly so it dies far sooner than is normal. Most people are familiar with this behavior in phone batteries as they wear out. Happens with Di2 batteries too eventually.

The derailleur could have also gone into safety or crash mode. That's where the derailleur senses a crash and disengages the motor from the derailleur to protect the motor from damage. But it means you don't have shifter control until you take it out of crash mode by holding a button down on the junction box and letting the derailleur sort itself out by shifting through the gears while you pedal along. Not something you want while trying to ride away from the peloton uphill and with Sammy Sanchez.

Unfortunately Di2 derailleurs don't necessarily need you to crash for them to go into crash mode. The sensor just needs to be triggered. Kind of disconcerting when it happens. My first thought was the battery died when it happened to me on a rental bike in Italy (near Camaoire actually, where today's T-A stage was.) Fortunately I had cell connection and looked it up and we were off again in a few minutes.
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GCN+ had Tirreno-Adriatico stage 1 available for US viewers with membership (browser-based player here.) I think all of the Italian races will be. Parcours was a figure 8 out of Lido di Camaiore with a short dip into the Alpi Apuane foothills at its south end. I've ridden a lot of that area, and usually it is slam bang full of Italians having a beach day but looked totally empty. The Apuanes are where the marble for most of the monuments of Rome and Florence (and elsewhere) came from - and still comes from - the majority from Carrara but also Seravezza and Pietrasanta. Portions of the road up to the marble quarries of Seravezza were laid out by Michelangelo. And Mario Cipollini filmed an infamous commercial for his bicycle company where he descended the road to Seravezza (the S9) at warp speed. He lives nearby closer to Lucca.

Anyway lots of climbing, amazing scenery, great mountains, too bad they just did a flattish stage looping around a resort town.

Pretty dramatic end though. Looked like 100mph at least.
    Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:13 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The derailleur could have also gone into safety or crash mode. That's where the derailleur senses a crash and disengages the motor from the derailleur to protect the motor from damage. But it means you don't have shifter control until you take it out of crash mode by holding a button down on the junction box and letting the derailleur sort itself out by shifting through the gears while you pedal along. Not something you want while trying to ride away from the peloton uphill and with Sammy Sanchez.

Unfortunately Di2 derailleurs don't necessarily need you to crash for them to go into crash mode. The sensor just needs to be triggered. Kind of disconcerting when it happens. My first thought was the battery died when it happened to me on a rental bike in Italy (near Camaoire actually, where today's T-A stage was.) Fortunately I had cell connection and looked it up and we were off again in a few minutes.
    Your assessment was correct. Cyclingnews updated their story to state that the rear derailleur did go into crash mode. Up until now, I always thought “crash mode” was a state that left the rider covered in tegaderm while they had their LBS order new handlebars and shifters...

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    Your assessment was correct. Cyclingnews updated their story to state that the rear derailleur did go into crash mode. Up until now, I always thought “crash mode” was a state that left the rider covered in tegaderm while they had their LBS order new handlebars and shifters...

Greg
    I guess Shimano calls it protection mode. In my case, I didn’t crash. It was at the start of the trip, my brain was still thinking Campagnolo from my bikes at home and we were climbing. I shifted the wrong way so shifted quickly back and then into the correct gear. There was sort of a momentary bind in the process, and the derailleur went into crash mode. Didn’t happen again for the rest of the trip or any trip since where we’ve rented Di2 bikes, so I don’t know what was special about that one shift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder if crash mode will be hacked going forward: “I know you lost the race, but the derailleur looks good, eh?”