Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Road Racing Thread - Spoilers Included

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2021 Road Racing Thread - Spoilers Included

Anne Van der Breggen is a Jedi Zen Master.

Van der Breggen insists that there are no secrets to winning on the Mur de Huy; no secret lines to take, no best places to attack, no real strategy involved. In fact, she revealed that it's not even about pure strength but she did give one tip for success on the Mur de Huy - "go at your own pace."

"You should know what’s best for yourself. You should know how high you can go in your pace, not to blow up, but still have enough to sprint or drop the others. The Mur de Huy asks for self knowledge," Van der Breggen said.
    Last edited by j44ke; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:45 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liege predictions?

Incidentally, George Hincapie called Flanders the hardest bicycle race. He said no race leaves a pro empty like Flanders. I caught him saying this on a Lance podcast on insta yesterday that was in my recommended feed. I didn't know LA was still podcasting but it looks like he's still doing color analysis as THEMOVE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Liege predictions?

Incidentally, George Hincapie called Flanders the hardest bicycle race. He said no race leaves a pro empty like Flanders. I caught him saying this on a Lance podcast on insta yesterday that was in my recommended feed. I didn't know LA was still podcasting but it looks like he's still doing color analysis as THEMOVE.
    He still does his video casting as well on YouTube. I watch them occasionally and find them occasionally interesting. A bit too much product pushing but that's what pays the bills. Additionally, the production values are pretty low grade. But he's often got some smart things to say about cycling.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listening to Bob Roll and Chris Horner on the NBC Sports broadcast of L-B-L. They’re actually decent and better than most of the US announcers we’ve heard in the past.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love when the Eurosport commentators say road furniture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much pressure do you feel when the World Champion drives the train so fast that no one else tries to attack and essentially gives you a 10 mile leadout? It was great to see Demi finish it.

I'm really going to miss Anna.

This is well worth watching.

Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just when you hope the Dutch ladies are close to retirement (Vos, van Vleuten, v d Breggen) the next generation shows up.
    I saw Shirin van Anrooi -the just 19 y/o cyclocrosser- pulling late in the race as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a feeling Vollering was up next. Im looking forward to Van der Breggan as DS.

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going back to Anna VDB and her Fleche win - anybody have an idea of what her gearing was for the Mur? She just sat and spun, a la Cancellara, for most of the way, getting out of the saddle only at the very end. What gear was she spinning in, while all the others were standing up and barely moving? Whatever it was, she made it look like she was on a different climb than everyone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Listening to Bob Roll and Chris Horner on the NBC Sports broadcast of L-B-L. Theyre actually decent and better than most of the US announcers weve heard in the past.
    I re-watched the last 40KM of LBL this morning while riding the trainer. Roll and Horner were surprisingly accurate in their live analysis. Their commentary and predictions as the race unfolded turned out to be very solid. The other point I noted was how strongly and smartly the UAE Emirates team rode. Davide Formolo pulled the group back to Carapaz and simultaneously tired out the contenders on the last major climb. Pogacar deftly positioned himself to be at the perfect position to jump on to Michael Woods' move that precipitated the finale. Once the Pogacar/Alaphilippe/Gaudu/Valverde/Woods group went clear, Formolo and Hirschi policed the chasing group, chasing down riders attempting to bridge across to the leading group. It was a masterclass in race tactics.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Going back to Anna VDB and her Fleche win - anybody have an idea of what her gearing was for the Mur? She just sat and spun, a la Cancellara, for most of the way, getting out of the saddle only at the very end. What gear was she spinning in, while all the others were standing up and barely moving? Whatever it was, she made it look like she was on a different climb than everyone else.
    SRAM AXS 48/35 with 10-32. I think Boels Dolman and SD Works have been riding SRAM AXS since it came out.

I think what you were also seeing is one of the strongest women in pro cycling. She is always super smooth on the bike, never looks like she is going fast, but that's strength.

For example, Kasia Niewiadoma was riding right next to her. Niewiadoma is on Canyon-SRAM, so I assume she was using the same group and gearing.
    Last edited by j44ke; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:20 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    No idea what gear she was turning- but that was smooth and solid seated power delivery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the classics, Paris Roubaix aside, are done and dusted for another year. The three week tours beckon. There's two stand outs for the TdF, but I honestly have no idea for the Giro. Is Bernal's back up to the challenge or will a relative unknown take the prize like last year? Or will Covid intervene in one or both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I had a feeling Vollering was up next. Im looking forward to Van der Breggan as DS.
    I expected it as well. One of the things that I really admire about Anna is her selflessness, she's very happy to give back to her team members. Remember the Ronde last fall when she chased down AvV and then sat up? I imagine that she will make an awesome DS.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on Chloe Hosking with mention of Ellen van Dijk also. I don't remember hearing that either tested positive for covid-19, but I was wondering where they were and saw the DNF for Hosking at Gent. Paternoster hasn't been around either, but she is concentrating on track racing for the Olympics.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chl...from-covid-19/
    Last edited by j44ke; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:51 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on Chloe Hosking with mention of Ellen van Dijk also. I don't remember hearing that either tested positive, but I was wondering where they were and saw the DNF for Hosking at Gent. Paternoster hasn't been around either, but she is concentrating on track racing for the Olympics.
    I had heard about Ellen a while back but not about Chloe. Paternoster rode at Le Samyn last month but you're right, she's been on the track a lot this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on Chloe Hosking with mention of Ellen van Dijk also. I don't remember hearing that either tested positive, but I was wondering where they were and saw the DNF for Hosking at Gent. Paternoster hasn't been around either, but she is concentrating on track racing for the Olympics.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chl...from-covid-19/
    My mind went elsewhere when I saw that. Have to recalibrate it to pivot to Covid first of all these days.

Strange times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    My mind went elsewhere when I saw that. Have to recalibrate it to pivot to Covid first of all these days.

Strange times.
    Good point. Edited my original post for clarity.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lieselot Decroix ( I think it’s her) is really good as co commentator with Sporza.
    She called it the moment Vos was gapped “10 km leadout by van der Breggen”. Really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to see Sagan continuing a solid recovery from COVID: https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/to...age-1/results/. Hope he has a strong Giro!

Greg