Thread: 2021 Road Racing Thread - Spoilers Included

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2021 Road Racing Thread - Spoilers Included

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    Close is right, pics from Twitter. In the yellow pic it looks like Winder won by the absolute smallest margin possible.
    Right, the yellow is the photo finish and the one that is official. But it doesn't seem to match up with the lines that are painted on the road.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are seeing some wide angle lens distortion on the unofficial photo(s) where the closer rider looks slightly larger. And I think that photo is taken a fraction later than the yellow photo. The win is when the front of the tire “touches” the plane of the finish line, not the contact patch of the tire, right? The finish line is the black line on the white bar across the road, and the unofficial photos show the front tires before they reach the line and almost to the contact patch afterwards. And so what you are seeing a nice illustration of a well timed lunge right at the line. Behind before and after but ahead at the line. But it doesn’t matter. The official photo is the yellow one from the line camera with the precise location of the finish line and positions of the riders.
    Last edited by j44ke; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I think you are seeing some wide angle lens distortion on the unofficial photo(s) where the closer rider looks slightly larger. And I think that photo is taken a fraction later than the yellow photo. The win is when the front of the tire “touches” the plane of the finish line, not the contact patch of the tire, right? The finish line is the black line on the white bar across the road, and the unofficial photos show the front tires before they reach the line and almost to the contact patch afterwards. And so what you are seeing a nice illustration of a well timed lunge right at the line. Behind before and after but ahead at the line. But it doesn’t matter. The official photo is the yellow one from the line camera with the precise location of the finish line and positions of the riders.
    That's certainly a possibility. It just seems strange to me that Demi is ahead before and after the line but not on the line. If the photo finish camera wasn't set up properly it could make Ruth appear ahead of Demi.

But you're right that in the end the only photo that matters is the official one. BTW, if you look at the upper part of the official photo it shows the margin of victory - .004 seconds.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is entirely clear for all riders is that you should never start celebrating until AFTER you cross the line. Not sure what pro riders can't follow this rule? If I was a director, I would beat that into the head of my riders (not literally).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    That's certainly a possibility. It just seems strange to me that Demi is ahead before and after the line but not on the line. If the photo finish camera wasn't set up properly it could make Ruth appear ahead of Demi.

But you're right that in the end the only photo that matters is the official one. BTW, if you look at the upper part of the official photo it shows the margin of victory - .004 seconds.
    Finish line cameras are a different kind of camera from a standard (even a very fast) camera, because there is no shutter thus no missed "time".

https://www.velonews.com/gear/tech-w...-camera-works/

And leading at the line but not before or after is exactly how a throw of the bike at the line works.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    What is entirely clear for all riders is that you should never start celebrating until AFTER you cross the line. Not sure what pro riders can't follow this rule? If I was a director, I would beat that into the head of my riders (not literally).
    The thing is 20 meters from the line there is a wall of photographers that they would ram into if they had their hands raised.

But then it is not like it is mandatory to raise your arms.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After Zabel’s MSR loss to Oscar Friere every professional should have that in their curriculum.
    Last edited by rabo; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amstel Gold men's race is too close to call. Likely Wout but Pidcock was right on the line.
    DJ Boyd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wout or Pidcock? Don't know why the sound isn't working but really not necessary

Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marianne Vos celebrated a bit early for a veteraan and looked a bit concerned when jonge Vollering ripped past. Moolman-Pasio saved SD Works' bacon by leading Vollering up the Cauberg. Not sure where van der Breggen went? Didn't like the tactics of Borgini there. Winder and Brand were done and Borgini the only rider with a chance from Trek - she's going to have more chance if the group catches on than if she races Niewiadoma? Instead she traded 1st or at least 2nd for 8th, and now Vos is leading the World Tour.

Cecilie Ulltrup Ludwig finished 7th and is now UCI WWT 5th as well.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead she traded 1st or at least 2nd for 8th, and now Vos is leading the World Tour.
    I agree @j44ke, that seemed like a bad choice in the moment and even worse at the finish. When Borgini did not drop her up that last steep part, it seemed like 1st or second was in the bag but then she slowed.
    DJ Boyd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marianne Vos celebrated a bit early for a veteraan and looked a bit concerned when jonge Vollering ripped past. Moolman-Pasio saved SD Works' bacon by leading Vollering up the Cauberg. Not sure where van der Breggen went? Didn't like the tactics of Borgini there. Winder and Brand were done and Borgini the only rider with a chance from Trek - she's going to have more chance if the group catches on than if she races Niewiadoma? Instead she traded 1st or at least 2nd for 8th, and now Vos is leading the World Tour.

Cecilie Ulltrup Ludwig finished 7th and is now UCI WWT 5th as well.
    To make it even more baffling: 1) Longo Borghini apparently felt good enough to try a long sprint from 300 m out; 2) despite sprinting long, she still ended up placing better than Niewiadoma; and 3) she was more than content to drag a non-cooperating Paladin around at Ghent, despite sure failure.

Perhaps she really wanted to wear the Italian tricolore (as opposed to the World Tour Leader's Jersey)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In one week we have the answer why 25,s are better than 23,s.
    ( new rule: if within 0.0004 seconds the win is for whoever started the sprint).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    To make it even more baffling: 1) Longo Borghini apparently felt good enough to try a long sprint from 300 m out; 2) despite sprinting long, she still ended up placing better than Niewiadoma; and 3) she was more than content to drag a non-cooperating Paladin around at Ghent, despite sure failure.

Perhaps she really wanted to wear the Italian tricolore (as opposed to the World Tour Leader's Jersey)?
    I think Borghini, as evidenced by her comment afterwards, that she thought they would make it to the finish together, just didn't get how quickly the chasers could come back on them in that final stretch. Niewiadoma knew. But Borghini blew it and it cost two people podium finishes.

CyclingTips is mulling it over as well. https://cyclingtips.com/2021/04/long...or-lose-a-lot/

On the other end of the spectrum, how about that Mauri Vansevenant, huh? Geez. He crashed like 14 times, tore up his kit, chased back to attempt to haul Alaphilippe up one of the last climbs and basically rode until his eyeballs fell out. He's learned a bunch of stuff yesterday.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vansevenant for the Waalse pijl Wednesday?
    Sporza commentators just wondering “ who should have been the leader?” Alaphillipe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Vansevenant for the Waalse pijl Wednesday?
    Sporza commentators just wondering “ who should have been the leader?” Alaphillipe?
    I couldn’t really figure out what Alaphilippe was up to in the race. I think he just didn’t have it yesterday. He does this thing where he’s riding along among the front 10 or so riders in the peloton, and then he’ll suddenly swerve out of line just as someone is coming up on the outside, nearly taking them out. He seems to do it when he gets tired as a sort of blocking move disguised as his particular brand of spasmodic bike handling. Riders must know by know to watch out for his erratic riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah Mauri Vansevenant was the strongest Deceunink riders yesterday. Had he conserved energy like a leader he would have been in among the top 3 running towards the finish line.

I'd love to support Alaphilippe as he can have that magic spark sometimes but his "spasmodic" bike handling as you say it makes me hate it.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moolman-Pasio saved SD Works' bacon by leading Vollering up the Cauberg. Not sure where van der Breggen went?
    Anna had a cold last week....bad enough, from what I've read, to keep her off the bike for several days. That should make tomorrow's race more interesting, though I would love to see her make it 7 in a row since it is her last time there.

As for the end of AGR, that was odd to say the least. Kasia was going crazy trying to get Elisa to ride but she wouldn't.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    Anna had a cold last week....bad enough, from what I've read, to keep her off the bike for several days. That should make tomorrow's race more interesting, though I would love to see her make it 7 in a row since it is her last time there.

As for the end of AGR, that was odd to say the least. Kasia was going crazy trying to get Elisa to ride but she wouldn't.....
    Aha - thanks. I had forgotten van der Breggen was sick.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, Fleche Wallone. Won't say anything about the winners of either race. Both worthy. And have something in common, actually.

But. Was looking at the men's race profile, the distance, and the winner's time. 193 km (121 mi) in 4 hours, 36 minutes. Holy s--t! That comes out to 26mph average for 4.6 hours, over a whole lot of climbs. That's some serious speed.