Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2021 MTB racing thread: spoilers likely

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2021 MTB racing thread: spoilers likely

18 years between is 1st and fourth title. Amazing. Great to see Pompon finally getting the title too.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    18 years between is 1st and fourth title. Amazing. Great to see Pompon finally get her second title too.
    FIFY

She won the stripes in 2019 at Mt St Anne. Still, it was great to see her win this year's contest in such unequivocal fashion. I've enjoyed watching her progress this season, putting everything together the last two races after the early season bobbles.

And on the men's side Minaar's long lanky build seemed a definite advantage on the chunky course. His longevity in the sport is awe-inspiring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

< spoiler >

Evie!!!

Awesome rides for 2d and 3rd "as well" as Rob would say.

+ Vali's DH
    + Bex's podium in the EWS finale

A fun weekend of racing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A tough season for Kate Courtney, but she and Brad are still keeping the fun alive. Today Brad unveiled the Mechanic’s Superbike. Built with a huge Abbey Tools assist!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUAV9RRF...dium=copy_link

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't spoil it, but highly encourage everyone to watch the men's XC race in Snowshoe that happened today. Best race I have seen in awhile. https://www.redbull.com/us-en/live/m...bike-world-cup

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ thanks for the link! I was searching redbulltv on my phone and couldn’t find the replay that wasn’t geo-restricted.

That men’s final … was it a lead group of 5 going into the final lap? Or 6? What a race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pretty amazing run is ending for the Clif MTB team. What a roster they’ve had over the years.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUA0iNuv...dium=copy_link

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still haven't gotten to the men's DH but have watched all of the Snowshoe races. They were all good. I'm not an expert but it looked like Blevins really played the game well.

Did anyone go to the race? I was tempted but didn't know about covid restrictions at the time I would have had to schedule things.

There were a bunch of flats. Is this from weight-weeny-ing the bike and not using inserts or tougher tires?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t got to Snowshoe unless someone is paying me to be there because it’s a mega corporate cesspool of angsty-mismanagement in the middle of nowhere(and i live in the town a 3 hour drive away, nowhere-adjacent, where some riders from WC finals are STILL hospitalized!)

Racing outside of Europe always makes for great world cup racing. It looks like there will be dhi rounds at snowshoe for at least another 2 years.
    Unclear if they will continue with XC racing- a big issue with holding an xc race in the middle of nowhere the day after DH is that nobody stuck around to watch- except for NICA families grateful for Kate Courtney keeping their daughters stoked on Sparkle Watts.

Blevins, bless his heart, did something that 3 generations of American men could not- but unfortunately, I think it will take years and more hard lifts by more American men before the public perception of XCO in this region is anything other than “XC, you mean kids racing?”.

I distinctly remember getting a text from the reigning American men’s dh champ in 2018 the day Snowshoe secured a world cup spot.
    I was announcing a a very small regional DH race- and I got to break the news to the crowd at the award ceremony. I told those kids, “start training now- The World Cup is coming”.
    Because actual UCI top 20 dh pros live in the southeast and run(and most importantly participate in) very professional development-focused race series we had two juniors from that small race in Virginia race WC DH finals this year. The regional UCI pros literally created an effective development pathway on their own, because they know real professionalism in MTB racing is selling the entire sport- not just prerequisite social media posts.

As long as NICA continues to segregate kids from pros, it will take miracles to get american kids interested in XC racing, especially if we continue to have a little more than a handful of UCI xc races. We need an actual national series that isn’t over by May and 4/5ths in California. We need modern, purpose built xco tracks that can actually be raced without fully-closing a lift accessed bike park- we need so, so much. Mostly we need people to actually care about XC racing- not their own- but re-making the sport we invented in the place where it started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=suspectdevice;1060194].
    As long as NICA continues to segregate kids from pros, it will take miracles to get american kids interested in XC racing, especially if we continue to have a little more than a handful of UCI xc races. ... /QUOTE]

Interesting. This may be off topic, but the local high school mtb league has been a raging success in CO from a participation perspective. They recently split from NICA after 12 years of explosive growth. I should ask Andy Clark about why next time I see him around.

I don't think NICA's mission even includes elite athlete development or a pipeline to uci racing. They do skills development locally, and they sure have been successful in filling the trails west of town with enthusiastic teenagers on bikes they got for the high school series.

My brother made the drive up to Snowshoe from Blacksburg and enjoyed the Saturday racing.

Best Regards,

Will
    William M deRosset
    Fort Collins CO USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NICA comes from a time when Thom Weisel of Amgen/USPS infamy was influential enough with usac that other bay area millionaire bigwigs felt you couldn’t trust the National Governing body with kids(see the lost generation of xc racers that turned to road racing after Weisel’s USAC BOD terminated the National Mountain Bike Series back in ‘04- the hyper-protective cocoon of Nica (1 “coach” for every 6 athletes, horrible, horrible courses that are universally hated by the kids) is outdated, and a response to something that federal racketeering probes have already sorted(but now that Armstrong owns big shares in Velonews, Bikereg, Outside, etc. it’s probably time to start protecting our kids from evil in bike racing again).

VA NICA has been turning out 600+ kids for years and outside of the elite prep school team full of rich kids from around the world, there is barely a kid over 15 in the sport in Virginia in any discipline except gravity 600+ JR athletes in one state and not even ONE that made a petition to race WC finals close to home! Not ONE!

Georgia league also just made the decision to leave NICA- but if these leagues didn’t have blinders on about “instilling values” or whatever they would be more focused on athlete development and less focused on recruiting and brainwashing adults who are excited to get discounts they don’t need on bikes, tires and helmets so they can “coach” kids who want nothing more than to have fun on bikes- something hyper-regimented high-production value kids racing is surprisingly bad at.

Too many adults are doing too much uncompensated labor for kids racing- adult xc racing needs love too. 13 year old xc phenoms are a pretty dangerous thing if road, cx, xc, bmx racing don’t also exist for these kids. They DO burn out, because middle school kids shouldn’t be so GD serious!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was surprised to read in the WSJ the sports writer there who covers cycling with gusto asked Christopher Blevins "what it was like to win at Snowshoe as a person of color?" His grandfather is black but I mean do we really have to go there; his comment felt so on trend and unnecessary.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234