Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 2021 Dry January and other assorted resolutions support thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The 2021 Dry January and other assorted resolutions support thread

Anyone else making any changes? Iím not one for saying ďI need to be a better person this year,Ē but Dry January has been a good reset in past years after the Thanksgiving to New Yearís stretch. Given the pandemic, I think I want to lock in some longer term changes, so Iím planning on running this to the very end of March when we (hopefully) go to the Outer Banks over the kidsí spring break.

Putting this out there on the Salon to help hold myself accountable, and help cheerlead anyone else whose doing anything similar.

Some minor things that help me in this regard are:
    - Set bedtime reminder for 9:15 every night and try to be in bed by 10
    - do some kind of exercise every weeknight, even if itís a short yoga class, stretching, or cool down ride on Peloton

A couple alcohol alternatives I like, after trying way too many of the below average NA beers out there:
    -Bitter Housewife bitters and soda
    -Hoplark HopTea, though need to be careful in that some of them have caffeine so not really great for the evenings

Activity-wise the first thing Iím planning to do is redo the (3 week) Power Zones program on Peloton to establish my current base, then check it again in April.

Good luck gang.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The 2021 Dry January and other assorted resolutions support thread

2 main things are;
    be a cyclist again, with all that means to me (fitness weight, style).
    Don't be involved with the feelings of others and don't let them be involved with mine. Its an Adlerian ideal and something that has had a big impact on my life in the last 12 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just try to eat better and avoid that second unnecessary plate "because it is so good".
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Put the wide tires on the one bike and go ride the MTB trails in the park by my neighborhood because my skills are horrible.
    - Use my hot tub twice a week.
    - Pay for the free stuff I take advantage of, like this place.
    - Ride 200 miles in a day again.
    - Contribute to the local non profits that make a difference, like the one that sends kids home for the weekend with backpacks of food.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    A couple alcohol alternatives I like, after trying way too many of the below average NA beers out there:
    -Bitter Housewife bitters and soda
    -Hoplark HopTea, though need to be careful in that some of them have caffeine so not really great for the evenings
    ok, so something inspired me this summer to go down the NA beer path again (oh yeah - it was Selene Yeager on the podcast she used to to with Patrick Brady) - and then Pete Stetina started pimping them as well.

I've tried maybe a dozen NA beers (mostly their IPA attempts) so far and I've only found two that are solid. To be honest everything else was undrinkable.

Before you give up, find Athletic Brewing, specifically their Run Wild IPA. It's no Bells Two Hearted but I've found to be a very acceptable sub for when you want the taste without the sleepyness. I even had a friend blindly grab one out of a cooler on a dark bonfire night and he got 2/3 through it before I asked him if he knew what he was drinking. Athletic's other brews are pretty drinkable as well.

The other one is Mikkeller Weird Weather IPA (black and yellow cans) - tastes similar to the above.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good one Tom. I'm here with a challenge to myself to go booze free Jan/Feb. Also started a 100 pushup-a-day challenge for January.

For alternate drinks, I've found a couple of flavours of a local kombucha to hit the spot. This brand is run by a ex pro cyclist couple and happens to be the best I've found. A lot of our micro breweries in Vancouver have kombucha to sell, so it's a good one to have if the local covid restrictions relax enough for social drinks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    ok, so something inspired me this summer to go down the NA beer path again (oh yeah - it was Selene Yeager on the podcast she used to to with Patrick Brady) - and then Pete Stetina started pimping them as well.

I've tried maybe a dozen NA beers (mostly their IPA attempts) so far and I've only found two that are solid. To be honest everything else was undrinkable.

Before you give up, find Athletic Brewing, specifically their Run Wild IPA. It's no Bells Two Hearted but I've found to be a very acceptable sub for when you want the taste without the sleepyness. I even had a friend blindly grab one out of a cooler on a dark bonfire night and he got 2/3 through it before I asked him if he knew what he was drinking. Athletic's other brews are pretty drinkable as well.

The other one is Mikkeller Weird Weather IPA (black and yellow cans) - tastes similar to the above.

Ryan
    Thx Ryan
    I've had the Athletic stuff- the IPA and Copper were both decent. Gruvi IPA is drinkable as well, but moreso in hot weather.
    I like Mikkeller overall so will keep eyes out for the NA.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My "civilized cocktail" (to misappropriate a phrase from George Seldes) is mineral water over a giant ice cube. On special occasions I'll cut a lime wedge and squeeze it in. It almost makes it so I don't miss catching a buzz.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To add to the N/A craft beer recommendations: Surreal Brewing gets all of my n/a biz now. Pours and tastes like craft beer. Full flavor and bottom end. Haven't missed the alcohol or calories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    To add to the N/A craft beer recommendations: Surreal Brewing gets all of my n/a biz now. Pours and tastes like craft beer. Full flavor and bottom end. Haven't missed the alcohol or calories.
    Thanks! Do you order it or have you found it in Michigan? I don't see any Michigan distributors on their website.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been sober for many years now, but discovered HopLark a few weeks ago and love it. It's brewed Hop tea, carbonated in several varieties and I love it. If you need a tall drafty can of hoppy something, this might meet your needs. If you like it, I recommend the caffein free pack - the "Sprucey one" is phenomenal.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, after today - I need a drink.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Thanks! Do you order it or have you found it in Michigan? I don't see any Michigan distributors on their website.

Ryan
    I order it. When getting 12 cans at a time it's a $5 ship (or has been). I keep bugging them to check into Meijer or a couple other smaller options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    Sorry, after today - I need a drink.
    Saw a Twitter response regarding today: “maybe I’ll try for dry February”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one a day.

Except today.

I came out of the woods and turned on the radio, and WTF?
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    I've been sober for many years now, but discovered HopLark a few weeks ago and love it. It's brewed Hop tea, carbonated in several varieties and I love it. If you need a tall drafty can of hoppy something, this might meet your needs. If you like it, I recommend the caffein free pack - the "Sprucey one" is phenomenal.
    Sorry - can't find it on the site. Is this non-alcoholic? It says no fermentation so I assume so.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Sorry - can't find it on the site. Is this non-alcoholic? It says no fermentation so I assume so.
    Non alcoholic. Most have no sugar or calories.
    The ones with tea taste like a cross between unsweet iced tea and hops. And the non tea ones taste like hoppy water.

The original flavors are available at my Whole Foods, but everything else can be shipped in 12 packs.

Highly recommend
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Non alcoholic. Most have no sugar or calories.
    The ones with tea taste like a cross between unsweet iced tea and hops. And the non tea ones taste like hoppy water.

The original flavors are available at my Whole Foods, but everything else can be shipped in 12 packs.

Highly recommend
    Thanks!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to stop drinking and almost didn't make it today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my third Dry January, which is accompanied by The Draconian Diet- no sweets, no alcohol, no eating after dinner/8pm, 16 hour fast every day, strenuous intense exercise at least five days a week burning 800-1200 calories each time.

Each year I've net dropped ten pounds and been able to keep it off afterwards: started at 214 in 2019, 204 in 2020, 194 in 2021. Hoping to net start 2022 at 184 at age 70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast