User Tag List

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 228

Thread: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

  1. #141
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    My own private Idaho
    Posts
    1,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Strade Bianche SPOILERS

    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I don't know if you ever took part in massive bunch sprints but it used to be one of my specialties and I know there is so many things your brain can compute in that situation and self preservation goes way at the bottom of that list.
    I have, albeit only in cat 3/4 and Masters races, and I don't pretend to be any great shakes. That being said, even at my level, comprehensive thinking during a sprint included fair play and avoiding unnecessary contact. If I bumped elbows with someone near me, I considered it part of the game and the risk. BUT....I never consciously deviated line to squeeze a competitor, let alone to the egregious extent that Groneweld did. Looks like we're not going to agree on this one, and that's OK.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Strade Bianche SPOILERS

    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I don't want to excuse Groenewegen but getting closer to the rider who you feel is catching/passing you is akin to a reflex and not something you control very well. I don't know if you ever took part in massive bunch sprints but it used to be one of my specialties and I know there is so many things your brain can compute in that situation and self preservation goes way at the bottom of that list.

    I would like the UCI to introduce something akin to a côte d'azure 1 or 1.5m on each side of the road in the last 400m of the finish straights that no one can cross. Those painted lines would give a visual cue to the sprinters to ride in a straight manner, and would avoid riders trying to squeeze between barriers and another rider or provide a safety buffer when someone pull a move like that. Jacobsen would have ended up frustrated and halted his sprint had he been forced to cross that line but he would not be in intensive care as I'm writing this.
    I think this is a great idea putting lanes in at the end. Would make it super obvious who's moving over, and also, most likely, unconsciously steer the riders straighter to some degree. The did this out of the starting gates in BMX as there were too many "windshield wiper" (ie go all the way across the track and cut people off) type crashes. Give a trial period, then enforce with penalties. And, astonishing how the barriers were basically useless/harmful rather than helpful, definitely need to have some standards there.

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Strade Bianche SPOILERS

    Hmmm. It looked as though there was a lot of room to the right when Jakobsen started the pass attempt. Forcing him over was one thing, the elbow and shoulder seem gratuitous.

    And in order to pass a slower rider, one has to go around.

    Flaring the finish and safer barriers, IMO.

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Strade Bianche SPOILERS

    Yeah, in athletics runners have lines to make sure they don't go in the way of another and Usain Bolt has "only" been clocked at 45kph. You cannot really expect cyclists going between 65 to 85 to follow a pure straight line.
    --
    T h o m a s

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Strade Bianche SPOILERS

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
    Forcing him over was one thing, the elbow and shoulder seem gratuitous.
    Elbow and shoulder are reflexes to keep balance and not crashing youself. They do not have any malignous intent. We all do the same when we touch elbows in a peloton or group ride.

    When a sprinter want to harm someone he uses his head instead.
    --
    T h o m a s

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    Interestingly Marc Sarreau, who was directly following Jakobsen and Groenewegen and broke his collarbone in that crash when the barrier was launched under his bike, had a much more balanced view about that incident when he was interviewed by eurosport during the next stage. While he acknowledged that Groenewegen was the main culprit, he quickly said it is too easy to point finger at him while no sprinter can attest having never done that or being able to follow a straight line in every sprint. He also said this is a typical intimidation tactic and should be treated as such, and that worse things sometimes happen but we don't do anything because it ends up well. While for obvious reasons (mainly the horrendous cancel culture we are living in) he couldn't phrase it in a manner to put blame on Jakobsen while he was still in coma, you could understand that he thought blaming only Groenewegen is a bit unfair and believe that in a crash there is never one culptrit and this is responsibility of everyone to stay upright. The way I understood it and I agree with that assertion is that Jakobsen could have halted his sprint before hitting the barrier. He always had a choice. He would have still freewheeled in second place to the line, finished second. He would have raised a complaint and Groenewegen would have been relegated anyway. All this without having to be heliported to an hospital and without consequences to the other riders following them.

    He also mentionned that UCI, organizers, riders and teams are all to blame because he has been racing tour of Poland for 3 years and that finish sprint is always there and this is not the only dangerous sprint in the calendar. They all know the speed they would reach, adopt gearing for it and all know this is a risky one. He said they are reaching that finish with a bit of fear, even sprinters ready to fight like Sarreau. In that sense (here these are my own words) the CPA is not really helpful, only reacting when things are too late.
    --
    T h o m a s

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    worlds biggest island
    Posts
    1,725
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Interestingly Marc Sarreau, who was directly following Jakobsen and Groenewegen and broke his collarbone in that crash when the barrier was launched under his bike, had a much more balanced view about that incident when he was interviewed by eurosport during the next stage. While he acknowledged that Groenewegen was the main culprit, he quickly said it is too easy to point finger at him while no sprinter can attest having never done that or being able to follow a straight line in every sprint. He also said this is a typical intimidation tactic and should be treated as such, and that worse things sometimes happen but we don't do anything because it ends up well. While for obvious reasons (mainly the horrendous cancel culture we are living in) he couldn't phrase it in a manner to put blame on Jakobsen while he was still in coma, you could understand that he thought blaming only Groenewegen is a bit unfair and believe that in a crash there is never one culptrit and this is responsibility of everyone to stay upright. The way I understood it and I agree with that assertion is that Jakobsen could have halted his sprint before hitting the barrier. He always had a choice. He would have still freewheeled in second place to the line, finished second. He would have raised a complaint and Groenewegen would have been relegated anyway. All this without having to be heliported to an hospital and without consequences to the other riders following them.

    He also mentionned that UCI, organizers, riders and teams are all to blame because he has been racing tour of Poland for 3 years and that finish sprint is always there and this is not the only dangerous sprint in the calendar. They all know the speed they would reach, adopt gearing for it and all know this is a risky one. He said they are reaching that finish with a bit of fear, even sprinters ready to fight like Sarreau. In that sense (here these are my own words) the CPA is not really helpful, only reacting when things are too late.
    Interesting
    Bill Fernance
    Bicycle Shop Owner
    Part Time Framebuilder
    Bicycle Tragic

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    The finish of MSR is one of the (if not the) most exiting things in cycling.
    Year after year.

  9. #149
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    The finish of MSR is one of the (if not the) most exiting things in cycling.
    Year after year.
    Rim brakes beat disc brakes this year.

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,798
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    Rim brakes beat disc brakes this year.
    I would opine that this had nothing to do with it. A really strong rider was beaten by an even stronger rider.
    La Cheeserie!

  11. #151
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    My own private Idaho
    Posts
    1,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    Great to see WvA win San Remo. I'm a fan. On another positive note, Jakobsen is extubated and awake. Looks like he will have some rehab and recovery ahead of him, but will clearly survive and be a functional person.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

  12. #152
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    van Aert did catch Alaphilippe on the way down the Poggio and then outsprinted him. Skill and nerve more than brakes probably accounted for the downhill catch.

  13. #153
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    And Evenepoel wins his fourth stage race of the year. Bloody hell.

  14. #154
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    And Evenepoel wins his fourth stage race of the year. Bloody hell.
    Adri vd Poel worried about the pressure / expectations the Belgian media (and team) place on the guy.
    I remember Merckx saying “ the best that happened to Sarroni is breaking his leg this year”. When he was a 21 y/o talent.
    Evenepoel is 20...

  15. #155
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS


  16. #156
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    Not particularly good news, but possibly a sign of things to come if a second wave goes through Europe.

    Road Worlds in Switzerland called off, UCI looking into other options | CyclingTips

  17. #157
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    Well honestly the second wave is already here. Just in tiny clusters right now.
    --
    T h o m a s

  18. #158
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,316
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    Huge hail storm hits Criterium du Dauphine riders and spectators | Cyclingnews

    2020 continues to find new ways to suck. Check out the photo of the riders back. Sheeezzz

  19. #159
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,890
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Adri vd Poel worried about the pressure / expectations the Belgian media (and team) place on the guy.
    I remember Merckx saying “ the best that happened to Sarroni is breaking his leg this year”. When he was a 21 y/o talent.
    Evenepoel is 20...
    He didn't break his leg. Pelvis instead.

    Not good.

  20. #160
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

    Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    He didn't break his leg. Pelvis instead.

    Not good.
    Could easily have been career ending. Always that same spot. He was super, but as a team, ride that final a time or two? Warn him for that point where there have been several ugly crashes?
    Season over, Maybe the best thing that happened for his career?

Similar Threads

  1. 2019 Road Racing Season Omnibus (Spoilers Guaranteed)
    By j44ke in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 772
    Last Post: 10-30-2019, 09:17 AM
  2. Racing season doldrums
    By thomas in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2017, 02:28 PM
  3. The season starts this Saturday. (SPOILERS)
    By rabo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-27-2017, 10:42 PM
  4. Road racing Worlds [spoilers]
    By sk_tle in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 11:07 PM
  5. CX Racing 2009 season
    By Too Tall in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •