Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Road Racing (NEW) Season FACTUAL SPOILERS

One little radio call can mess up your race...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com
    "I think that the whole Republican Party has been put in a position, with a few notable exceptions, of being mildly intimidated by the sitting President." Joe Biden, President Elect.
    “A lawsuit without provable facts showing a statutory or constitutional violation is just a tweet with a filing fee,” said Justin Levitt, a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles.
    “Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't text and drive
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only thing against the moto is that racers always take the shortest line in a curve , and that is why slowing vehicles should be on the outside.
    Ps , I do not blame the moto.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Only thing against the moto is that racers always take the shortest line in a curve , and that is why slowing vehicles should be on the outside.
    Ps , I do not blame the moto.
    I've seen people telling that the moto should have been on the outside line. But this is very wrong for several reasons:
    - dwindling roads. 100m before the crash, the road was gently curving on the other side. You don't really want swerving motorbikes don't you ?
    - this is untrue that racers always take the shortest line. Most of the time taking the line with the most draft/less wind is the first chosen line, right before the shortest one. I haven't seen the footage but some says seconds before the crash WvA was drafting the other motorbikes on the left side and changed line to draft the Jury one one the right.
    - it is better to have a consistent rule, like on the Nordschleife. Always pass from the left, always keep your right to be passed. Better to enforce, no area for interpretation. Riders should just be asked to clear them with at least a 1m distance. We ask it from the vehicules themselves no ?

The reality is that riders who draft motorbikes when there is room to take a 2m distance should be DQ. Riders and teams can't whine about lack safety from organizers then throw everything to the door by drafting motorbikes and team cars all day long.

By the way, what have younger riders like WvA made of the etiquette of warning your peers about obstacles like all riders used to do 2 decades ago ? To me WvA goes out of that event as a f**king unempathetic egoist. You just don't do that with at least a hand gesture like we used to do back in the days.

Last but not least. I've been rolling my eyes for years at the sight of riders leaving their hands of the handlebars and site awkwardly on their bike while pushing a button on their chest while talking to the radio. You get stupid DS like Lefevere threatening left and right for penal pursuit when something goes wrong to their rider, showing off with a rainbow colored sponsored specialized bikes when his riders are world champions but in 20y he never occured to him and his peers that they could have asked the radio manufacturers and other bike sponsors to fund the development of a frigging handlebar button actuated radio with a microphone mounted to the helmet ? Am I the only one to facepalm everytime I see a rider actuating his radio on his chest ?
    Last edited by sk_tle; 10-20-2020 at 07:08 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Last but not least. I've been rolling my eyes for years at the sight of riders leaving their hands of the handlebars and site awkwardly on their bike while pushing a button on their chest while talking to the radio. You get stupid DS like Lefevere threatening left and right for penal pursuit when something goes wrong to their rider, showing off with a rainbow colored sponsored specialized bikes when his riders are world champions but in 20y he never occured to him and his peers that they could have asked the radio manufacturers and other bike sponsors to fund the development of a frigging handlebar button actuated radio with a microphone mounted to the helmet ? Am I the only one to facepalm everytime I see a rider actuating his radio on his chest ?
    Radios should be banned. No need to develop fancy buttons.

Yeah, call me old-fashioned.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Radios should be banned. No need to develop fancy buttons.

Yeah, call me old-fashioned.
    Well I agree. But since they seem to enjoy them, I can't understand they pretend to have security concern and shout left and right how the UCI and organizers do nothing for them then don't do anything to address the issues they can address themselves.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 10-20-2020 at 07:58 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Alaphilippe should pay attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Froome loses 11 minutes today at the Vuelta. I don’t see him ever coming close to his form of old. Recovery from severe injuries like he suffered is very difficult.

No joy in this observation but I think it’s reality.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to Flanders for a moment, this was a nice retrospective. And I'm not sure that we have mentioned that MvP emulated his Dad by his race win on the weekend.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/math...-head-history/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Froome loses 11 minutes today at the Vuelta. I don’t see him ever coming close to his form of old. Recovery from severe injuries like he suffered is very difficult.

No joy in this observation but I think it’s reality.
    No I don't think so either. At least pre-TdF his body, particularly his legs, did not have that skeletal look that he managed to achieve through out his TdF winning years. I imagine he must have spent a fair bit of time working on getting strength back in the broken leg and at the same time was not following the racing/training schedule that enabled him to achieve that extremely lean appearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    No I don't think so either. At least pre-TdF his body, particularly his legs, did not have that skeletal look that he managed to achieve through out his TdF winning years. I imagine he must have spent a fair bit of time working on getting strength back in the broken leg and at the same time was not following the racing/training schedule that enabled him to achieve that extremely lean appearance.
    I was just thinking that he looked thin but not skinny. So strength to weight ratio off? Or maybe it is just that his body was broken into pieces and just got stuck back together and he’s not Hermann Maier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    By the way, what have younger riders like WvA made of the etiquette of warning your peers about obstacles like all riders used to do 2 decades ago ? To me WvA goes out of that event as a f**king unempathetic egoist. You just don't do that with at least a hand gesture like we used to do back in the ?
    Don,t know, the guys were at the limit. Maybe van Aert shares the opinion that riders need to pay attention. Part of the game. We’re not talking about the peloton but a 3 man break afterall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nail-biting end to the Giro.
    We are all proud here, that our Saturday-boy is now a Grand Tour winner! What an effort form this lad

Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    Nail-biting end to the Giro.
    We are all proud here, that our Saturday-boy is now a Grand Tour winner! What an effort form this lad
    What about BBC Sports Personality of the Year, although I suspect that may go to motor racing again? Still, if every Arsenal supporter backs Tao Geoghegan Hart and he also gets the Scottish vote, there may be another winner from cycling and it would be well deserved in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know Jakobsen was left with only one tooth... and 130 stitches in his face. Hucking fell.

Dylan Groenewegen reportedly set to be banned for nine months for causing Tour de Pologne horror crash
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know Jakobsen was left with only one tooth... and 130 stitches in his face. Hucking fell.

Dylan Groenewegen reportedly set to be banned for nine months for causing Tour de Pologne horror crash
    I have yet to hear of any sanction for the race organizers who were responsible for the shoddy finish straight barricades that gave way and turned a very aggressive sprinting maneuver into an absolute disaster for Jakobsen. I am betting that nothing happens and a ban for Groenewegen will see a line drawn under the matter as far as the UCI is concerned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    I have yet to hear of any sanction for the race organizers who were responsible for the shoddy finish straight barricades that gave way and turned a very aggressive sprinting maneuver into an absolute disaster for Jakobsen. I am betting that nothing happens and a ban for Groenewegen will see a line drawn under the matter as far as the UCI is concerned.
    I am betting you're right.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    What about BBC Sports Personality of the Year, although I suspect that may go to motor racing again? Still, if every Arsenal supporter backs Tao Geoghegan Hart and he also gets the Scottish vote, there may be another winner from cycling and it would be well deserved in my opinion.
    And I think many, including quite a few Scousers and Man City supporters, will back Rashford, and rightfully so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jakobsen went riding with his partner for the first time - or at least, the first time with a camera. He's back to light training and then has a follow-up surgery in January.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    I am betting that nothing happens and a ban for Groenewegen will see a line drawn under the matter as far as the UCI is concerned.
    I think the UCI is busy with other things.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast