User Tag List

Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Road Racing Season Omnibus (Spoilers Guaranteed)

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2019 Road Racing Season Omnibus (Spoilers Guaranteed)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    It's really hard to judge. On one hand she swerved quite a lot but on the other hand she did it only once to launch her sprint. You can't expect every sprinter in contention to ride alongside each other while waiting for the sprint to start or decide to bail out because you don't have a perfectly straight path available.
    I agree. The move didn't look that bad to me. The domino effect after that one woman rode into Wild's rear wheel is the pivot point here. Without additional carnage I'm not sure the jury would have made the same conclusion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chloe Hosking was the rider who went down first. She's a veteran, good rider, good sprinter, good enough to have a legitimate chance at the win and also should have been able to avoid a dicey move by Wild but perhaps not an obstructive one, so that might have figured into the decision. But you can't discount the visuals either. Wild is one of the largest cyclists in the women's peloton, so she can look like she is just barging through even in a straight line and perhaps especially when you see Ellen Barker cartwheeling up into the air behind her.

I was amazed by how fast that move left by Wild was. Incredibly fast. Blink your eyes and miss it fast. She is really strong.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I agree. The move didn't look that bad to me. The domino effect after that one woman rode into Wild's rear wheel is the pivot point here. Without additional carnage I'm not sure the jury would have made the same conclusion.
    I was standing right to the left watching. The TV doesn't do the crash justice. I think the race organizers may want to rethink the format. 20 laps in St James is great to watch as a fan, but with the hair pin turn at the top of constitution hill which bunches everyone up only .8 mile away from the finish, you always get the bad sprint. Two years ago, the race ended in a crash much the same way. The whole race is only like 40 miles, so they can't shake anyone lose.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I was standing right to the left watching. The TV doesn't do the crash justice. I think the race organizers may want to rethink the format. 20 laps in St James is great to watch as a fan, but with the hair pin turn at the top of constitution hill which bunches everyone up only .8 mile away from the finish, you always get the bad sprint. Two years ago, the race ended in a crash much the same way. The whole race is only like 40 miles, so they can't shake anyone lose.
    Ya the format and short distance may need a rethink. But I watched the feed from the front and from above at least two dozen times before I formed an opinion. That doesn't take away from the severity of the carnage. But I do think the move over to the left wasn't the severe chop that Wild its getting called to the mat for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And it is something that Chloe Hosking should have expected (or maybe not as it look that appart from Wild nobody was able to accelerate faster).

The consequences were disastrous. One thing to note is that Barker who broke her collarbone in that crash think the DQ was too harsh.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Ya the format and short distance may need a rethink. But I watched the feed from the front and from above at least two dozen times before I formed an opinion. That doesn't take away from the severity of the carnage. But I do think the move over to the left wasn't the severe chop that Wild its getting called to the mat for.
    I don't disagree. I think the format needs a change. Sport before entertainment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading several places, seems there might be some question whether he hit a concrete barrier and injuries sustained caused his death or he suffered cardiac arrest and that caused him to crash into the concrete barrier(?) Either way, it is tragic, and Fortin and Mate of Cofidis, who suffered a really bad crash in stage 2, must be counting their blessings.
    Last edited by j44ke; 08-05-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems there have been a lot of young adults dying from cardiac arrest in sports these last few years. Most probably those tragic news are simply relayed more to us through the internet. I can't help but wondering if the heart issues are increasing or if it is just a statistically correct.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the pro teams have there riders on the monitor every year, plus have all the HRM data. No guarantee though.
    RIP Bjorg Lambrecht.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On this sad day there is this: Transcontinental Race: Germany's Fiona Kolbinger becomes first female winner of endurance race - BBC Sport

Taking the race Mike Hall dominated in the past (more sad).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remco Evenepoel wins the Euro ITT title today in such a sad week for Belgian cycling.
    "I'm going to ride the stars in front of my eyes today for the stars" (Lambrecht ).
    What a talent.
    Very emotional post race:
    Emotionele Evenepoel (19) verbaast ook op EK met tijdritgoud | sporza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another amazing win. Sure it wasn't a TdF quality field, but to win by 18 seconds in a relatively short event at 19 years old?

It also seems that Lambrecht suffered a laceration of his liver in the fall, that caused internal bleeding and then a cardiac arrest. So, crash first, cardiac arrest second. Poor guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Another amazing win. Sure it wasn't a TdF quality field, but to win by 18 seconds in a relatively short event at 19 years old?

It also seems that Lambrecht suffered a laceration of his liver in the fall, that caused internal bleeding and then a cardiac arrest. So, crash first, cardiac arrest second. Poor guy.
    I don't think doctors mentionned the crash caused the liver laceration. It could have been the opposite and apparently his last blood levels were also strange which could have hinted he had some health issues prior to the stage. I'm not a doctor so what do I know.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 08-09-2019 at 03:21 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Class win, and class celebration by Vivianni today.
    No radioos = attractive racing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been watching the Tour of Norway. Boring race, but the scenery is amazing. Unbelievable. All those islands and shoreline and nearly no houses anywhere except in the towns.

Winter of course is a whole other ball 'o wax.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's why they are so good at Cross Country Skiing. Nothing to do but train.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

Steven Chu, a former Secretary of Energy who often gives talks on climate change, tells audiences that if cows were a country their emissions “would be greater than all of the E.U., and behind only China and America.” Every four pounds of beef you eat contributes to as much global warming as flying from New York to London—and the average American eats that much each month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you get the chance to go to Norway don't pass it up. We went in April. One of the best experiences I've had. Oslo and then a train to a small town on a fjord I can't remember but there were standing stones and the burial mound of a 10th century king and we took a boat to Bergen and after a few days went back to Oslo.

Back to the racing talk but you guys turned me on to going to Switzerland in September instead of summer like we were thinking so I had to throw this in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Steven Chu, a former Secretary of Energy who often gives talks on climate change, tells audiences that if cows were a country their emissions “would be greater than all of the E.U., and behind only China and America.” Every four pounds of beef you eat contributes to as much global warming as flying from New York to London—and the average American eats that much each month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chloe Dygert-Owen is killing it at the Colorado Classic

Dygert-Owen dominates Colorado Classic climb | Cyclingnews.com
    Guy Washburn