User Tag List

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Road Racing Season Omnibus (Spoilers Guaranteed)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2019 Road Racing Season Omnibus (Spoilers Guaranteed)

Race officials had to neutralize the women's Omloop, because Bigla's Nicole Hanselmann broke away from the field and closed in on the tail end of the men's race. Eurosport reported that she knew something was wrong when she saw the ambulances following the men's race ahead of her.

Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite Women 219: Results | Cyclingnews.com

Then someone forgot to shut off the automatic whatsit in the race director's car, and it stopped suddenly in during the neutral start of Junior Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne, causing a rider pile-up.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ride...-kuurne-video/

Marta Bastianelli was second at K-B-K and won Omloop van het Hageland. So she's off to a good start! She was with Ale Cipollini last year but is with Team Virtu Cycling this year, a new team in the women's peloton.

I was watching the cross country skiing World Championships late last night (30km women's race - Jess Diggins got 4th! Race was won by a former doper from Norway) and the presenters were discussing the arrest of a bunch of skiers for blood doping, then mentioned as an aside there were also professional cyclists in trouble. Austrian riders Priedler and Denifl are two of them.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-04-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I was watching the cross country skiing World Championships late last night (30km women's race - Jess Diggins got 4th! Race was won by a former doper from Norway) and the presenters were discussing the arrest of a bunch of skiers for blood doping, then mentioned as an aside there were also professional cyclists in trouble. Austrian riders Priedler and Denifl are two of them.
    There is a video showing one of the austrian team skiers, himself a police cadet, getting caught in the middle of a transfusion. And the Austrian xcountry skiing federation president is in complete denial mode.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't the first rule of doing something illegal no photos?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Race was won by a former doper from Norway
    I will endeavor to adopt your positive outlook about the "former" part ... an athlete winning by eyebrow-raising margins pre- and post-ban makes me start to grumble but it sure is fun to watch the rest of the field.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I will endeavor to adopt your positive outlook about the "former" part ... an athlete winning by eyebrow-raising margins pre- and post-ban makes me start to grumble but it sure is fun to watch the rest of the field.
    My positive outlook was tongue in cheek. The winner was flying. If you noticed at the end, the 2nd place Norwegian appears to attempt to dodge Johaug's attempt to hug her.

I wonder whether there is a value in lipglosses that contain various banned substances.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-04-2019 at 04:17 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My positive outlook was tongue in cheek. The winner was flying. If you noticed at the end, the 2nd place Norwegian appears to attempt to dodge Johaug's attempt to hug her.

I wonder whether there is a value in lipglosses that contain various banned substances.
    I think her return has had a significant psychological impact (not positive) on Heidi Weng. But, you know, money ...

Back on topic: why are the Austrians so bad at the secret part?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The story of Johaug's doping ban is worth clarifying: she had a horrific set of sunburns on her lips, which were widely photographed (and pretty obviously painful), and she says she used a lotion to help them heal. The coach that gave her the lotion didn't read the label closely enough, and it had a steroid in it. I honestly don't see too much implausible or unlikely about that story, nor has anyone in the sport. A story of tainted meat it is not.

And if you watched the whole broadcast, it's pretty clear that Oestberg is not avoiding her, nor any of her other teammates. They were all gracious to each other. Johaug is indeed head and shoulders above all the other distance racers on the circuit, not unlike Klaebo on the men's side. Both have been consistently dominant.

By the way, Holund won his race by the same margin as Johaug. It wasn't that extraordinary of a result in any regard. None of her wins were by extraordinary margins, and she skipped about half the races this season to focus on them.

One can say that these situations require context without that amounting to an apology for cheating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stlhenrys View Post
    The story of Johaug's doping ban is worth clarifying: she had a horrific set of sunburns on her lips, which were widely photographed (and pretty obviously painful), and she says she used a lotion to help them heal. The coach that gave her the lotion didn't read the label closely enough, and it had a steroid in it. I honestly don't see too much implausible or unlikely about that story, nor has anyone in the sport. A story of tainted meat it is not.

And if you watched the whole broadcast, it's pretty clear that Oestberg is not avoiding her, nor any of her other teammates. They were all gracious to each other. Johaug is indeed head and shoulders above all the other distance racers on the circuit, not unlike Klaebo on the men's side. Both have been consistently dominant.

By the way, Holund won his race by the same margin as Johaug. It wasn't that extraordinary of a result in any regard. None of her wins were by extraordinary margins, and she skipped about half the races this season to focus on them.

One can say that these situations require context without that amounting to an apology for cheating.
    I understood the context, but it was a team doctor, not a coach, who gave her the lip gloss. CAS gave her an 18 month suspension. In future though, I'll say Norwegian formerly suspended from competition.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomorrow is Le Samyn. The organizers of this race are starting the women first and then the men so there will be no issue with one race overrunning the other.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stlhenrys: I'll agree to disagree and/or restrict the debate to a venue with beer and tacos.

j44ke: that last 100k hurts just to look at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Belgium commentators said the men at "De Omloop" race took an 18 km stretch as a continuous pee break for all the riders. That slowed the ride down. In the final everybody was wasted .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GP Samyn a good one. Nikki Terpstra up there racing a bunch of his former QuickStep teammates with ~10km to go. Should be a good finish.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick-Step wins again! Florian Senechal for his first pro win. CyclingNews says that is already Quick-Step's 14th win.

And Boels Dolmans won the women's race. Jip van den Bos and that was her first professional win also.

That drag up to the finish must be really tough. I realize the camera effectively slows apparent speed down a bit, but the final group going up the hill looked like everything was hurting.

I also find Roompot's jersey easy to confuse with CCC's. But the color works nicely on their Factor bikes. Suddenly orange is a thing again.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-05-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evidently the crash in Junior Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne was indeed pilot error, caused by the race director's arm passing momentarily over the set of sensors in the upper part of the windshield while the emergency braking feature was left on. I had thought the sensors for that automatic feature were only in the grill of the car, but evidently the "box" of sensors in the top middle of the windshield contain at least a portion of that system as well.

Twitter
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-05-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About a week ago I was JDL (Just Driving Along) when literally out of nowhere my emergency braking slammed on full brakes for about a half second. Scared the shit out of me. Thankfully nobody was immediately behind me or I would have been struck from behind.

Having a car now for 6 months that is full of nanny “features” makes me dislike them strongly. Turned off my lane assist early. May look at turning off others.

This isn’t the first occurrence of this in a race.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strade Bianche on Saturday. One of my favorite races of the year. QuickStep looking strong again.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrevich4 View Post
    Strade Bianche on Saturday. One of my favorite races of the year. QuickStep looking strong again.
    Rain Friday, 39F morning temp on Sat, high later of 58F under partly cloudy to mostly sunny skies. Perfect weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's nice to see how the more things change, the more things stay the same...

In other words, Quickstep are still winning and cycling still manages to find itself on the drugs treadmill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Boels Dolmans won the women's race. Jip van den Bos and that was her first professional win also.
    I was really happy to see Jip get that win. She had a terrible year last year that ended in June with a broken pelvis at the OVO Energy Women's Tour.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    I was really happy to see Jip get that win. She had a terrible year last year that ended in June with a broken pelvis at the OVO Energy Women's Tour.
    Speaking of breakages, Annemiek van Vleuten who broke her knee cap in the World Champs is back and placed 4th at Omloop Het Nieuwsblad. She's amazing and tough.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books