User Tag List

Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Road Racing Season Omnibus (Spoilers Guaranteed)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2019 Road Racing Season Omnibus (Spoilers Guaranteed)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Who cared what these guys say in press conferences. Most sentences relayed by medias are taken out of context without even mentionning the original question and the avalanche of stupid questions the 5 minutes before.

You can make the most genius person look like a fool or arrogant by carefully dissecting and rearrange the words like they do with some kind of sadism.
    This is not about sentences taken out of context.
    This is about 2 riders stop pedaling with 2 km to go and give a climber the pink jersey.
    We don't need press conferences, just eyes.
    I love this sport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    This is not about sentences taken out of context.
    This is about 2 riders stop pedaling with 2 km to go and give a climber the pink jersey.
    We don't need press conferences, just eyes.
    I love this sport.
    It's not like they had been dropped by the whole peloton why eyeing each others. I'm pretty sure they could have limited a bit the time loss by cooperating but nobody can be positive they would have been able to follow Carapaz up that climb.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Pressure comes with the job. He is paid (rather well) to ride a bicycle. And talk to journalists afterwards. Probably a lot of others would trade their current situations...
    This argument (beyond sounding like economic jealousy and social enslavement) misses my point. What I meant was that Contador and Nibali are products of their individual environment which includes a national press corps that most of us don't see because we aren't in Italy or Spain or speak the languages. That's got to make them different riders beyond what already makes them different as individuals. If Nibali is a little cracked, well maybe he's not so cracked in Italian. That's all.

Rest day isn't it?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    This argument (beyond sounding like economic jealousy and social enslavement) misses my point. What I meant was that Contador and Nibali are products of their individual environment which includes a national press corps that most of us don't see because we aren't in Italy or Spain or speak the languages. That's got to make them different riders beyond what already makes them different as individuals. If Nibali is a little cracked, well maybe he's not so cracked in Italian. That's all.

Rest day isn't it?
    Hmmm... Not quite sure where the economic jealousy comment is rising from so I'll just leave that to sit there...

But granted as a non-native speaker of either of the languages in question, I wouldn't say the italian press corps is any harder than the spanish press corps. Both fan bases are quite rabid and don't take losses by their champion quietly!

But this Nibali is very different than the 2013 Nibali who carried him self much more closely to Contador. This Nibali has caught the illness effecting much of the peloton recently, the "'If I go hard, so and so will only sit on my wheel, and I don't want to tow him to victory" and so allowing someone else up the road to do the work and claim the victory' bug. Easier to divert the press by complaining that someone else was not working...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Dad, my sitting here today, in the U.S. Capitol, talking to our elected officials, is proof that you made the right decision forty years ago to leave the Soviet Union and come here to the United States of America, in search of a better life for our family. Do not worry. I will be fine for telling the truth.”
    -- Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Vindman

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll agree with that. I think that comes with age and pride. I don't think he can escape his adversaries going uphill any longer.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rest of this week is going to be a real nutcracker.

Okay 21 is a time trial, but the previous stages are going to make that bump in the middle hurt.

Imagine having that assortment in your Strava for the week.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is a classic case of different experiences and expectations. Nibali was expecting Roglic to ride like a GT race leader, and yet Roglic is having (or had) his taste of GT leadership. Likewise, everyone knows Nibali is a very cunning rider and Roglic hardly wants to tow Nibali and be subjected to a sneak attack. The team directors should sort it out as negative tactics mean they both lose and someone else ends in pink, as is the case at the moment. The next few days will sort things out as everyone else in the race needs time on Roglic before the final time trial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad Chris Froome isn't in this Giro to show them how to ride with class. He crushed some souls last year and I didn't hear him complain when things weren't going well.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So evidently the Jumbo car responsible for Roglic’s bikes wasn’t even on the course when Roglic had a technical issue. They had pulled over so the DS could take a “natural break”. As a result they were behind all of the caravan. And because of a crash somewhere in the race, there were basically no Jumbo cars. So given that, the results were actually pretty good.

Right now, Movistar has the strongest team I think, especially with all the climbing.

Television is showing Arnaud Demare pulling himself up the slopes. Evidently he is committed to finishing the race.
    Last edited by j44ke; 05-28-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrevich4 View Post
    Too bad Chris Froome isn't in this Giro to show them how to ride with class. He crushed some souls last year and I didn't hear him complain when things weren't going well.
    Yes the miraculous ride I think Sean Kelly called it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It took a concerted effort by the combined climbing squads from Movistar and Bahrain-Merida to finally take some time on an on the road alliance of Roglic, Mollema and Yates. Be interesting to see if that will be enough...

Chapeau to Ciccone for his stage win and seal on the Mountain jersey.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Dad, my sitting here today, in the U.S. Capitol, talking to our elected officials, is proof that you made the right decision forty years ago to leave the Soviet Union and come here to the United States of America, in search of a better life for our family. Do not worry. I will be fine for telling the truth.”
    -- Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Vindman

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hugh Carthy grabbed on and didn't let go. Great ride by him. He and Joe Dombrowski climbed into 13th and 14th respectively.

We'll see if Rabo was right - that by marking Roglic Nibali lost the race to Carapaz. Sure looked like it today. How's it go? The Italians and Spanish gang up on the everyone else in the first two weeks and then they duke it out with each other in the third?

Demare finishes within the time limit! He's 127 overall and "just" needs to get to Milan to keep the points jersey.

Who will have legs tomorrow?
    Last edited by j44ke; 05-28-2019 at 01:52 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Unrelated", but did anyone see LeighAnn win Winston Salem yesterday? She'd been knocking on the door, and finally pulled it off with the same type of attack that won her Crit Nats last year. So damn awesome. So happy for her. It's not easy holding off a breakaway that contains Lauren Stephens and Chloe Dygert. But she did. With enough time between her and the chasers that the neutral car was never pulled out of the gap.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for Nibali to attack like that. Sad for Roglic. With a stronger team he would have been a little closer.
    Good racing to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FDJ!

He looked like he was really pushing that bike up the hill. Act of will.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good to see joe d finally getting some strong finishes. it's been a tough stretch of years for him since winning the baby giro.
    Robert Kendrick

my small corner of the poetry world:

http://robertleekendrick.net

recent book

https://irisbooks.com/product/what-o...th-brilliance/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn’t realize that Ackerman was still in the race. Thought he withdrew after his crash and the start of the mountains. But he now has the points jersey after FDJ appeared to lose pace and left Demare alone suddenly. Messy sprint anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sinkeldam (DeMare's locomotiv) critical of DeMare's sprinting. They lost the sprinters jersey where they had it pretty comfortable.
    Surprised Nibali and Roglic did not chase Carapaz in st 17 's finish again (from my back porch with an open beer).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was some shoulder banging and a Cofidis rider looked like he came unclipped avoiding crossed wheels with another rider, and that was about the time Demare sat down.

Too bad. That ciclamino-colored LaPierre bike was actually pretty nice looking (but not the shorts.)
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the Giro. Cima stayed away, ackermann for the jersey, and Nibali now saying it's first or nothing. Awesome.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"