User Tag List

Page 10 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Road Racing Season Omnibus (Spoilers Guaranteed)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2019 Road Racing Season Omnibus (Spoilers Guaranteed)

Fck golf. Paris Roubaix was great. Probably one of the toughest from the dust bowl era I can remember. Full gas almost all race and Pollit attacks in the final feed zone. A bunch of people had to choose between their musette and taking a chance on winning or blowing to pieces. Lampaert played the strongest, but Gilbert was. Wout came back twice so strong I couldn't believe it when he didn't come back a third time. Vanmarcke is tough. Sagan on 3 of 4 cylinders is still amazing. Whew.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-14-2019 at 10:47 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Fck golf. Paris Roubaix was great. Probably one of the toughest from the dust bowl era I can remember. Full gas almost all race and Pollit attacks in the final feed zone. A bunch of people had to choose between their musette and taking a chance on winning or blowing to pieces. Lampaert played the strongest, but Gilbert was. Wout came back twice so strong I couldn't believe it when he didn't come back a third time. Vanmarcke is tough. Sagan on 3 of 4 cylinders is still amazing. Whew.
    Gilbert was smart, always attacking from the group when his teammate was taking a pull so that he get's no chance to stay with him unless everybody get back together. That's a good way to outfox both your teammate and your opponents.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hell of the North is cycling's Amen Corner. The back nine holes at Augusta National on Sunday should be required viewing for anyone with a pulse.

On a purely sporting level it's as great as Paris-Roubaix

Theo de Rooy - Netherlands

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    The Hell of the North is cycling's Amen Corner. The back nine holes at Augusta National on Sunday should be required viewing for anyone with a pulse.

Theo de Rooy - Netherlands
    The early tee-times due to rain were amazing for me watching from Europe, not that I wouldn't have stayed way up past midnight on a Sunday to watch that spectacle. One of the greatest comebacks in sporting history, without a doubt. Back surgeries, chipping yips, everyone had written Tiger off a long time ago. Absolutely incredible.
    @holliscx maybe we should start a golf thread, I hear it's the new cycling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
    maybe we should start a golf thread, I hear it's the new cycling.
    Gravel is the new golf ... saw a full squish gravel grinder recently and Pinarello has two new groad whips with ffs names.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch the whole race from the first minute till the last. Pretty amazing. All out from the gun till the velodrome. Can't remember a scenario like this in recent years. No breakaway made for a great race. Classy winner too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    The lanky kid in the break is the son of Edwig van Hooydonck!

Nathan Van Hooydonck is Edwig's nephew, not his son. Nathan's father was Edwig's older brother Gino. Gino raced from 1986 to 1993 and raced for Jan Raas' teams (like his brother) for all of those seasons bar his last one. Gino registered one win in his career - the 1989 GP Stad Zottegem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Watch the whole race from the first minute till the last. Pretty amazing. All out from the gun till the velodrome. Can't remember a scenario like this in recent years. No breakaway made for a great race. Classy winner too.
    Some of the classics have been hard, hard races this year. P-Rbx was definitely unusual, as you mention, and likely contributed to the bonks that Van Aert and Sagan dealt with in the final. Ghent Wevelgem was another brutal race that didn't run according to convention. I wonder if these harder-run races factored into some of the usual suspects not having the spark to blow things apart in the finals like we've seen in recent years. The classics have all seem to have been slugfests, with riders grinding it out until few remained, rather than the calm buildup to fireworks that we have seen a lot of lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post

Golf is a game not a sport. No way golf could ever be what Roubaix is. Sorry.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo View Post
    Some of the classics have been hard, hard races this year. P-Rbx was definitely unusual, as you mention, and likely contributed to the bonks that Van Aert and Sagan dealt with in the final. [...] I wonder if these harder-run races factored into some of the usual suspects not having the spark to blow things apart in the finals like we've seen in recent years. T
    I think in this particular edition of Roubaix it has more to do with how the peloton didn't want to get tricked by an early attacker. I don't know if it comes from Mat Hayman and Silvan Dillier performances in previous editions but the peloton never allowed the break to get more than a few seconds. It was flat out from start to finish. In that sense the riders were more tired after half of the 250km of Roubaix than they did at the finish line of the 291km Milan San Remo. Add to that the runner up and the winner launched their initial attack at the last feed zone and you get a recipe for bonks and exhaustion in the last 30k.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 04-15-2019 at 07:56 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Golf is a game not a sport. No way golf could ever be what Roubaix is. Sorry.
    It is possible to like both golf and cycling but for different reasons. Yesterday was a really, really crappy day where I live and I spent the morning watching P-R then immediately turned on the Masters. Both events were won by veterans of their activity and both were exciting. It is hard to watch golf and not appreciate what they do. They make it look easy, just like pro cyclists make it look easy but it's not easy. Anyway, golf is a far bigger thing worldwide than pro cycling. Tiger Woods is the most visible golfer and has endorsement deals all over the world. The top golfers in the world have visibility far beyond the world of golf. Peter Sagan is probably the most visible cyclist in the world but is largely unknown outside the world of cycling.

You're right that golf could never be what Roubaix is. It's actually much bigger. ESPN won't mention Roubaix today but will cover the Masters results for weeks.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    It is possible to like both golf and cycling but for different reasons. Yesterday was a really, really crappy day where I live and I spent the morning watching P-R then immediately turned on the Masters. Both events were won by veterans of their activity and both were exciting. It is hard to watch golf and not appreciate what they do. They make it look easy, just like pro cyclists make it look easy but it's not easy. Anyway, golf is a far bigger thing worldwide than pro cycling. Tiger Woods is the most visible golfer and has endorsement deals all over the world. The top golfers in the world have visibility far beyond the world of golf. Peter Sagan is probably the most visible cyclist in the world but is largely unknown outside the world of cycling.

You're right that golf could never be what Roubaix is. It's actually much bigger. ESPN won't mention Roubaix today but will cover the Masters results for weeks.
    I could care less. Let's talk more about cycling. Golf forum is somewhere else.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a crazy moto incident today at the women's Brabantse Pijl.

Twitter
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapha's broken sport notwithstanding, this was a pretty handy result given the quality of the other riders:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/de-...-2019/results/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the performances of vdP and van Aert on the road, all cross racers are excused for not trying to win.
    They sit in front the tv saying "I told you so".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mathieu, in the vein of PFP, is the best all around male cyclist on earth right now. Really excited for him and Alaphillipe to do battle in the Ardennes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    There was a crazy moto incident today at the women's Brabantse Pijl.

Twitter
    Geezus. What was that driver doing? Moving over to park on the sidewalk? Looked like he almost put the rider into the wall.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looked like he was (very poorly) avoiding the truck parked on the other side of the road

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been thinking about it for a little while. Imho Max Richese is the QS/Deceunink rider that deserves the biggest pay despite having less "direct" wins than his colleagues. That leadout for Jacobsen in stage 3 of Tour of Turkey only confirms these thoughts. It was a masterclass in navigating in a peloton to switch from a we are locked up on the right side of the peloton in 20h position 500m from the line to leading the bunch 200m later. I don't have a link of the replay as I saw it live but from the helicam it was amazing.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of the Tour of Turkey, I'm happy to see Mark Cavendish at least finishing races. I think his career is waning fast but it would be especially sad to see him finish his career just by being dropped over and over. Even if he may never reach the wild heights of a decade ago it would be nice to see him go out on his own terms.
    La Cheeserie!