Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 CX Opinions Races Videos (Spoilers)

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2017-18 CX Opinions Races Videos (Spoilers)

I just checked my subscriptions on YouTube and hey! Brico Cross #1 in Eeklo! Unleash the hounds!

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2017-18 CX Opinions Races Videos (Spoilers)

Awesome, thanks Jorn! What YouTube channel is this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I just checked my subscriptions on YouTube and hey! Brico Cross #1 in Eeklo! Unleash the hounds!
    nice showing from MVdP and the usual players, for sure. surprised to see Meeusen so far back. curious if MVdP's choice of file treads was the difference maker (Wout was on Typhoons, not sure about Vantourenhout). he was definitely sliding through some of those corners, but didn't go down (that they televised). his teammate, Sanne Cant, raced the same tires to victory.

Post Thanks / Like

Good comeback from Wout, he dropped quite a few places toward the middle of the race. And VdP is looking strong as ever!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcunnane View Post
    Awesome, thanks Jorn! What YouTube channel is this?
    Roderic Kreunen. He seems to get most of the stuff that isn't UCI broadcast rights controlled.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Roderic Kreunen. He seems to get most of the stuff that isn't UCI broadcast rights controlled.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

What happened at 55:00 when the rider went down after the barrier?

Post Thanks / Like

Van Aert not hoping the barriers on a sunny day, on a perfect -dry surface and losing second(s0 every time.
    Commentators , (I think Roland Liboton said it) stating something like "you have all summer to practice your weaknesses".
    I remember van Aerts coach Niels Albert said 2 years ago that they were going to work on it in the off season. He must still feel uncomfortable...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Van Aert not hoping the barriers on a sunny day, on a perfect -dry surface and losing second(s0 every time.
    Commentators , (I think Roland Liboton said it) stating something like "you have all summer to practice your weaknesses".
    I remember van Aerts coach Niels Albert said 2 years ago that they were going to work on it in the off season. He must still feel uncomfortable...
    Ellen noble was clearing them each lap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Last year he started hoping them in december and stopped doing it when he got the worlds title. He is able to do it, but has some sort of mental block. Maybe he got hurt once while training who knows. Psychological barriers are the hardest to overcome and it is not as simple as saying "I'll practice it".

Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    Ellen noble was clearing them each lap.
    Here in Switzerland we have a young woman, Flurina Glaus, who is hoping the highest barriers you can find in a cyclocross with so much ease I'm a secret fan. Well not so secret now.

In fact I think she was one of only 3 riders who hoped the barriers at the EKZ crosstour race in Aigle last year. The others too were elite riders (Yorben Van Tichelt and another one I don't remember who only did it in the first few laps).
    Last edited by sk_tle; 09-16-2017 at 03:14 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

"hopping" sorry for the spelling.
    Even on the log there was a difference in ease -and speed.
    Fact is, vdP can mess up a jump , click out, and save his butt, as he showed many times. If you know you can do this , it will increase your confidence further I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

What happened to Wout today at Jingle Cross? Looked like VDP took off and didn't stop until he crossed the finish line. Couldn't really tell what was going on in the race because the coverage appeared barely showed 60% of the course. And I turned the sound off.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly I must admit I fell asleep.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

I tried watching some of it yesterday... but was there no commentary? I used the NBC Sports Gold App. Was so pumped to have commentary in English! But then all I heard was silence (and background noise). Either way, commanding riding from MVdP. Sounds like Wout had to pit and then shortly after flatted. The video was just...meh. Couldn't really tell how the course went, but oh well. That climb looked brutal. Hopefully Waterloo is streamed live too. And maybe some commentary!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I tried watching some of it yesterday... but was there no commentary? I used the NBC Sports Gold App. Was so pumped to have commentary in English! But then all I heard was silence (and background noise). Either way, commanding riding from MVdP. Sounds like Wout had to pit and then shortly after flatted. The video was just...meh. Couldn't really tell how the course went, but oh well. That climb looked brutal. Hopefully Waterloo is streamed live too. And maybe some commentary!
    I use Tunnel Bear and set up my VPN to somewhere in Europe (England or Ireland usually) and then use the UCI YouTube channel or Cyclocross Magazine to get English commentary. I thought Tim Johnson did a pretty good job.

Post Thanks / Like

pretty annoyed that I couldn't use the NBC service to watch it, I bought the service just for the CX world cups. three hours after the race and it still wasn't available. had to go to the tried and true method of UCI YouTube feed via Opera...

I didn't think the video was awful overall. not as good as Sporza but it's hard to compete against courses that are literally built around sight lines that will work best on TV. so yeah, result is you miss some of the course. Waterloo should be better. it was really good last year. I'm sure it will be live, most likely on Trek's site.

either way, commanding performance from MVdP! sounds like Wout had some bike troubles, but don't know the full story yet. he had already conceded about a minute to MVdP and was losing ground on Sweeck and Hermans when he had trouble and lost another minute or so. so I don't think he would have been in the fight for the win, but perhaps could've podiumed. huge bummer for him though. that's a big hole to dig your way out of if you want the WC overall.

women's race was awesome. super stoked for Ellen Noble, she did great! sucks about Compton going down and, according to Tim Johnson in the commentary, possibly injuring her shoulder. hope she's alright. decent showing from Cant as well; not a victory, but I'm sure she'll be happy with it, considering how she struggled in the US WC's last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rcunnane View Post
    I use Tunnel Bear and set up my VPN to somewhere in Europe (England or Ireland usually) and then use the UCI YouTube channel or Cyclocross Magazine to get English commentary. I thought Tim Johnson did a pretty good job.
    Wait, Tim Johnson was announcing?! Man, I heard nothing! Bummer. I need to mess around on the dark web more...

Post Thanks / Like

Here is Jingle Cross in proper language format, this time from Cyclocrossfan.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

The sound on the NBC app really did stink.

Post Thanks / Like

It just makes me think van Aerts reduced CX schedule , and transition to the road has something to do with the fear having to battle vdP every week , and then again in his dreams at night.
    I thought it was the barrier hopping but ;# 3 Quinten Hermans: "he just corners so must faster"